Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

241 - 260 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
mybe stupid question...
but can u fit new headers of akrap mt09 2021 with old akrap underbely or old carbon....thia new one is ugly
Not sure on that one, I do know you cant fit gen 1 & 2 Akras to the latest gen 3 2021 09's the under mount point are completely different.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Picked up my 2021 09SP today, headed straight for a ride in the twisties. More refined than the other generations, rides really well out of the box. Can confirm the new 2021 09 is Euro5 with a new diagnostic connector RED, I worked out the pin locations & have a working scanner to read an clear any faults.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 · (Edited)
How does the fuelling / throttle connection feel on the new model Kev?
My 2 cents worth, 2021 MT09

General

A great improvement over generation 1 & 2 out of the box, the fuelling is very good hardly any noticeable surging at part throttles, the throttle maps are good, I put mine in throttle mode 1 which is the old A mode & can ride the bike in all conditions, the deceleration throttles need some work a little too much compression braking in the higher rev’s for my liking, my average fuel consumption over the past 600kms while running in has been just over 23kms to a Litre of fuel I was expecting better from a Euro5 emission standard. The intake sound is great a nice roar through the intake when you get on the gas. The STD pipe is a few DB louder than Gen 1 & 2 an has a better tone to it.

Looks

In general I will have to get used to the new look but it is growing on me, the head light needs a screen to complete it, the tank looks a little out of place a bit to high.

Handling

Can feel the extra stiffness through the bike when it is pushed, stiffer frame remounted swinging arm, bigger dimension front & rear axles accounts for the stiffness, yesterday I was riding through very bumpy roads where I was pushing the bike through the twisties & the bike is very capable, the only thing I don’t like is the front end dive under hard braking with the 0.77 Progressive fork springs, I will be fitting a set of 0.95 Linier fork springs in mine.

Brakes

I found the brakes average the front does not have enough grip for my liking a set off HH pads would help heaps, I went the bigger front 320mm R1 rotors as I know from the past how it improves the braking. The ABS is good with not much pulsation through the pedals when it intervenes.

Comfort

I am 185cm 100kg & fit the bike fine, peg to seat height is fine for me not cramped, I will look into a better seat the factory seat it is just too hard for me. I did a 400km ride in one go & the only thing sore was my butt.

Electrics

Don’t like the switch gear it looks a little dated, I battle to find the indicator button with thick gloves on, the roller menu button on the right side should be on the left as you can’t scroll through the menus unless you are on cruise control or have your right hand off the throttle.

MUI, works great having owned a 2020 KTM 890R I had a good comparison, I can feel it intervening through the corners but is not intrusive & 99% of riders would not know it was there riding on the road.

Dash, this I was worried about being that small but it is easy to read while riding but should have been bigger

Fuel gauge, what a joke stays on full for the first 160kms then shoots within 1kms to half then starts its count down.

Cruise control works as expected, but does not work below 50kph, has 2kph increments when dabbing the reset or set buttons when engaged.

Found the front indicators could easily pop out of it’s mounts if bumped.

Motor

I cant say I feel the extra HP & Torque with the STD pipe. With Akra fitted the throttle is a little twitchy below 2500rpms when going from fully closed to just rolling on the throttle a tune should sort this out.

Gearbox still whines in 5th gear, the gear change is much smoother with the different selector mechanism.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Fuel gauge function is because of the shape of the tank, real big at the top and really small at the bottom. I use Trip A to monitor my fuel situation, I have a good idea what mileage I should be seeing @ each bar drop.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Is the saddle as uncomfortable and with forward slope as previous model?
How does the rear shock feel? I had Ohlins in my "17 and felt harsh compared to OEM.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
Is the saddle as uncomfortable and with forward slope as previous model?
How does the rear shock feel? I had Ohlins in my "17 and felt harsh compared to OEM.
Back shock feels fine to me, not harsh at all.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
Fuel gauge function is because of the shape of the tank, real big at the top and really small at the bottom. I use Trip A to monitor my fuel situation, I have a good idea what mileage I should be seeing @ each bar drop.
Yip, this is my 5th 09 Gen 1, 2, & 3 with a different fuel tank all have the same problem, a shit fuel gauge.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
Trimmed 25mm off the link pipe, also bought shorter springs

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
Removing the Yamaha bar end weights & fitting my bar end mirrors created a lot of buzz through the bars, so my mate machined up some stainless steel custom weights replacing the Alloy inners of the mirrors which work really well in getting most of the buzz out of the bars.

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
Yamaha comfort seat fitted I wanted a taller seat, it is still on the firm side of things.
IMG_5906.JPG
ha c
IMG_5904.JPG

IMG_5905.JPG

241 - 260 of 270 Posts