Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Ride over to the southeastern part of Ohio. It isn't bad. I live in WV, its awesome here.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
.......At first I noticed when I pulled the clutch lever in, I would hear some buzzing in there, but since putting a few miles on it, the buzzing has been reduced, but if I put my head near the cover and pull the lever, I can still hear it. Not going to worry about it.

Hope this helps someone, happy to answer questions.
The "buzzing" noise might be why the XSR's comes with that extra plastic clutch cover piece.

CLUTCH-COVER.jpg

If you look close, the 2017 FZ-09 appear to have that same plastic cover / damper.

2017-FZ-09.JPG

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yup, I agree about the damper. At any rate, the noise is completely drowned out by the engine, and I'm not convinced it wasn't there before. I'm glad I didn't spend the extra dough to get the new cover with the damper.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
so you can buy just this XSR900 Slipper Clutch for FZ-09 : Part Shark and use my stock clutch cover? no need to buy the xsr clutch cover?
is this worth the $215 price tag? does it make riding much different?
That kit contains everything you need. And yes, stock clutch cover is compatible.

I installed this in the Spring and it is really really easy.

It's not going to make a profound difference in riding. The only thing you will notice is a lighter clutch pull and MUCH smoother engagement.

Is it worth it? I don't know. I love projects so installing it was more fun than having it. I dont think youll regret it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
THANKS. is it worth spending the extra bit of cash on the new covers? does it look much different or make a big difference on noise?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I don't hear any noise whatsoever from the clutch. The sound damper in the XSR clutch cover is definitely not necessary.

I think the new 2017 FZ09 and XSR cover are identical to the 14-16 FZ cover. However, the XSR and apparently the 2017 FZ do not have the little plastic guard on it to keep you from burning your leg.

Another cheap mod to go along with the slipper is a clutch push rod arm from the R3. It's $10 and makes the clutch pull slightly lighter. Probably not enough to notice, but it's $10, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Save money, use your stock clutch cover. I still have no problems. The slipper function is loads of fun and is a nice safety feature as well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just did this upgrade a few months ago to my 2016 after watching the video on why a slipper clutch especially this ramp design is actually a benefit. Was wondering if anyone else who did mod is experiencing a "ticking" feedback at the clutch hand lever? I notice it only when downshifting from higher speeds, and gears. Not at all on upshifting. I haven't rode a 2017 or the xsr90p, but since the same clutch components are installed do they also have a ticking clutch feedback? And exactly what's going on in there to that is causing this?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ticking as you pull in the lever? Add more description.
Yes, squeezing the clutch when downshifting mainly from 6 to 5th then 4th. Through my lever It's like I can my foot shifting the trans into a lower gear. I brought This up in another thread, and someone said it was normal feedback? Just wondering if the other cp3 engines on the other bikes with slippers have this, and exactly what causes it? This wasn't there before the mod.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yea I don't get any feedback on my '15 09. I did own a daytona 675R and did feel it click at the level when it was pulled in as I down shifted.

Not sure. Maybe take it apart and make sure everything is installed correctly. Might be some issue with the pull rod.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just found this thread:

Here are some pics of the inside of the clutch cover from my 2017 FZ (with slipper clutch), and an older FZ without slipper clutch, not my pic.

324F28BC-DD2F-48C5-BB98-34D8D2BAA937.jpg non slipper.

2C8A1684-2B41-4F13-9C81-AA3E7EB2CAB6.jpg 2017 slipper.

2391E6E6-7B85-49E4-99B3-033D68E8DA13.jpg disc inside slipper.

I don’t think Yamaha just had a bunch of these (discs/plates) leftover from some other bike and needed to use them up. I personally wouldn’t do the slipper mod without getting the correct cover too. Notice the old cover has bosses where the plate bolts on. You probably could just tap those and screw the plate on.

Some of you have noises not present before the mod. Frankly.... who wants to add mysterious noises to their bike, and not know the reason for them.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Some of you have noises not present before the mod. Frankly.... who wants to add mysterious noises to their bike, and not know the reason for them.
I don't have any more noise from adding the slipper without the damper. Not saying they put it in there completely unnecessarily, but I'm not wishing I had it at the moment. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts