Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
“But hey, whatever floats your boat.“ - It’s not about my boat, my ‘17 has it from the factory, you know the way the engineers designed it. If anyone decides to do this mod I’m just trying to show them how it came from the factory and they can decide for themselves which way they want to go. Some people mentioned “noises” including yourself, even though you said the noise may have been there before.

I’m just trying to help people as that is what I think good forums are all about, and I’m sure that was your original intention for this thread. Yamaha clearly designed this engine to be able to use the slipper clutch, and some people might want to make sure they have the factory design.

I find it odd, and misleading, that the online Yamaha parts dealer didn’t include the the correct clutch cover in their parts package. After all they are looking at parts diagrams all day and must have known the covers are different.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The same engineers that designed the CCT, the ECU fueling, suspension and the chain tension spec? I’m not saying they’re a bunch of screw ups, obviously they did a great job with the bike but there have been some oversights and no one is infallible. Engineers screw up (and over engineer) all the time.

No one is keeping any kind of secret that the ‘17 has a damper assembly on the clutch cover. It really is what floats your boat. I don’t have a dog in this fight. Buy a new cover or don’t. It really is an individual decision. I, as well as others, have experienced no ill effect from not spending the extra money and are just disseminating the information.

Partshark didn’t include it in the package because they asked me what parts are needed for the conversion and I gave them my parts list. Feel free to contact them and tell them they need to add more parts. This will of course inflate the price of the package for everyone else who wish to perform this mod.

·
Registered
1 Posts
good evening I have just come across this and have a 2015 mt09 from the uk and would like to add a slipper clutch to my bike.
also do you know of any videos on the progress of doing the upgrade
thank you

·
Registered
322 Posts
Novice question. What does the damper do inside the cover? Is it mechanical, or audible? Maybe I missed something earlier. Just curious. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
No one has been able to answer the question of the damper with authority. All I know is I saved the $$$ on keeping my stock clutch cover and have had no adverse consequences. There is speculation that it is only for noise damping. Luckily my clutch basket seems to be largely silent compared to some other fz-09s out there.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
good evening I have just come across this and have a 2015 mt09 from the uk and would like to add a slipper clutch to my bike.
also do you know of any videos on the progress of doing the upgrade
thank you
Not sure of any videos, but the install is pretty straight forward. You could really look at any clutch installation video and be pretty well versed in the procedure.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Well I installed the factory Slipper Clutch and used all the parts in SharkParts kit plus I ordered 6 new fibers that I could have used that was all ready in the bike...but if I am going as far as installing this kit I just wanted all the fibers to be New ! Started it up and all works good rain in the area so I could just check it up and down the drive between storms and seems to work ok ! the one thing that pop up was there is a bit more noise coming from the clutch.. not much but "at times" it would put out a sound like a dry clutch would..no big deal ..and no I did not get a new side case with the sound reduction .Why spend the money just to cover up some noise ! The factory does it so customers don't bring back the bikes thinking something is wrong with the clutch ! And really it is not needed ! And one note here I got the TUSK clutch holder tool...It did the job but the engagement was not 100%..with a little grinding on the ends you could make it fit the basket better ! so maybe try a different brand tool !

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Well just went on a quick 60 mile ride between rain storms and man is this awesome ! The clutch pull at the lever is about zip ! Very easy lever pull and I heard no extra noise from it but I did have ear plugs and a helmet on.... If your on the fence about this and have the cash.. Just Do It !!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I just went on my first real ride (275 miles) with the slipper clutch installed. Its awesome and glad I did it.... BUT. Im still getting an engagement clunk after i put it in first gear. Hard to describe.

1. Clutch in
2.Shift down
3. Bike goes into first
4. after about a half second I can feel a "clunk" in the bike.

Maybe the clutch is dragging? When I put it on the rear stand and put it in gear with the clutch in, the tire spins much faster than anything I have ever owned. Maybe my clutch stack is too big? I didn't measure it before putting it in.

Don't want to go back to stock so HELP

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
You say 'still' for the clunk (which is probably normal), so I'd say that is unrelated to the clutch itself and exists in the transmission.

It's possible that your clutch pack is on the thick side, but pretty much everyone here will have their rear wheel spin with the clutch in and on the rear stand, especially from a cold start. The speed at which it spins has to do with the gear ratio. When it's cold the oil will be tackier and will stick the steels to the friction plates. If you take the bike off the rear stand, sit on it, pull the clutch in and rev the engine in gear, the steels should break free from the friction plates. When you put it back on the rear stand the wheel shouldn't spin as much (but still a bit until it's warmed up).

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I think I will pull the stack and measure it. If I am big I can order the 1.6 mm plates for #1 and 2.
I would not pull it apart ! Mine did the same thing as yours on the rearstand and with it in gear the tire would spin also .. Removed the stand put it into 1st and with the clutch pulled in it does not drag at all ! I just did a 230 mile trip with mine today and clutch pull is just nill !! Love it ! And going into first gear they " Yamaha's" all clunk into gear ! Has nothing to do with the slipper clutch ! I bet your stack is within spec ,mine was with the kit plus I installed all new fibers as well ! You my friend are good to go !!

·
Registered
256 Posts
1st gear clunk.....Ride a Kawasaki, they have an nice clunk to them. Yamaha is some where between Honda and Kawasaki (generalizing here). All my bikes have had 1st gear clunk, slipper or not.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was able to get partshark to put together a package for the xsr slipper clutch with everything you need for the modification, and they even discounted the whole package!

XSR900 Slipper Clutch for FZ-09 : Part Shark
I just heard about this about an hour ago and it is something that I want to do. Do you still recommend this product from them?? I want to order it
Part of what bugs me is the engine braking and if this eliminates that I want to install one
thank you

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Definitely still recommend it. It doesn't eliminate engine braking, but reduces it when the the clutch speed is much higher than the engine speed (when the slipper is actively slipping). So it doesn't change engine braking with normal on/off throttle. You'll need a flash for that.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I just heard about this about an hour ago and it is something that I want to do. Do you still recommend this product from them?? I want to order it
Part of what bugs me is the engine braking and if this eliminates that I want to install one
thank you
The really big thing with this kit is the lever Pull ! Greatly reduced simply for the fact you are removing six springs in there with only 3.. I did it and love it ! Plus if the slipper system was a bad thing Yahama would noy also include it in the 2017 FZ-09 and up and with the SXR !! And as said above engine braking has stayed the same !

·
Registered
137 Posts
The really big thing with this kit is the lever Pull ! Greatly reduced simply for the fact you are removing six springs in there with only 3.. I did it and love it ! Plus if the slipper system was a bad thing Yahama would noy also include it in the 2017 FZ-09 and up and with the SXR !! And as said above engine braking has stayed the same !

By removing 3 of the 6 springs is not the clamping force of the clutch reduced by half making the clutch more prone to slipping??
The clutch needs a certain force to keep the discs clamped together?
If lever feel is all you are after why not just remove a few springs? Are you not doing the same thing??
I now worry about clutch slippage,
I am geared for high speed running and regularly lug the motor down making it more prone to slipping the clutch.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts