Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
Yamaha MT 09 SP 2021
166 Posts
The only I can see from the photos I doubt is the center tube that it seems to go very low and maybe lessen the ground clearance.
I thought that too but side by side comparison (at least with photos) the stock exhaust is as low as that tube.The problem is that the lower point is more to the front so it's easier to touch down if you go down a pavement.But if we are a bit careful I don't think there will be any problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys I know this is a MT 09 group but I’m not getting anything from the MT 07 forums! I have a 2021 mt07 and I was wondering if the termignoni homologated euro 4 exhaust would be compatible? Their website says up to 2020 but only if use in conjunction with catalyzer Y104CAT code. I’m out of my league on this and my dealer was more clueless than me!! I just got back into the bike scene and any help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
116 Posts
Hey guys I know this is a MT 09 group but I’m not getting anything from the MT 07 forums! I have a 2021 mt07 and I was wondering if the termignoni homologated euro 4 exhaust would be compatible? Their website says up to 2020 but only if use in conjunction with catalyzer Y104CAT code. I’m out of my league on this and my dealer was more clueless than me!! I just got back into the bike scene and any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Welcome to the 09 Forum, we're cooler than the 07 Forum, trust!

Short answer: It should be fine.
Long answer:

I have no idea on if that euro4 exhaust will or will not fit. But, I have seen a lot of people have been fitting the 2020 MT07 exhausts to the 2021 MT07's, and some exhausts fit 2015 all the way to 2021. I haven't owned an MT-07 myself, but they haven't made many changes to the bike since it was made (just a lot of facelifts/plastic changes/abs/emissions).

Fitment-wise, I'd say it should bolt up pretty well with hopefully little to no modification on your part. That Y104CAT is just the catalytic converter to accommodate the Euro4 emission standard.

Your 2021 MT07 is programmed to run on the stock exhaust which is Euro5 compliant. With that, fitting an exhaust that is Euro4 compliant, or not compliant at all with emission standards (aka either the Y104CAT or no catalytic converter at all) could cause the bike to run worse without a proper tune. Especially, if you change out the exhaust to one with no catalytic converters at all as well as add an air filter with better air flow.

It should be fine.

TL;DR It should fit, it's probably not going to be compliant with Euro5 emission standards if you care. And your bike might need a tune after fitting the exhaust.

I say slap that shit on, and do wheelies :ROFLMAO:👍

·
Vendor
1,645 Posts

it will fit with or without the CAT

I have them on sale

Termignoni Relevance Full System (14-20) MT-07/FZ-07/XSR700 (vcyclenut.com)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the 09 Forum, we're cooler than the 07 Forum, trust!

Short answer: It should be fine.
Long answer:

I have no idea on if that euro4 exhaust will or will not fit. But, I have seen a lot of people have been fitting the 2020 MT07 exhausts to the 2021 MT07's, and some exhausts fit 2015 all the way to 2021. I haven't owned an MT-07 myself, but they haven't made many changes to the bike since it was made (just a lot of facelifts/plastic changes/abs/emissions).

Fitment-wise, I'd say it should bolt up pretty well with hopefully little to no modification on your part. That Y104CAT is just the catalytic converter to accommodate the Euro4 emission standard.

Your 2021 MT07 is programmed to run on the stock exhaust which is Euro5 compliant. With that, fitting an exhaust that is Euro4 compliant, or not compliant at all with emission standards (aka either the Y104CAT or no catalytic converter at all) could cause the bike to run worse without a proper tune. Especially, if you change out the exhaust to one with no catalytic converters at all as well as add an air filter with better air flow.

It should be fine.

TL;DR It should fit, it's probably not going to be compliant with Euro5 emission standards if you care. And your bike might need a tune after fitting the exhaust.

I say slap that shit on, and do wheelies :ROFLMAO:👍
Man thanks for all the info you guys have been a major help!!! I wish I would of went with the mt09 now lol

·
Vendor
1,645 Posts
Man thanks for all the info you guys have been a major help!!! I wish I would of went with the mt09 now lol

I have an MT07 also, I joined the mt07 forum but several times when i posted information they would delete it and say I was promoting my flashing business even when i really wasnt.

we do have an MT07 subforum

FZ/MT07 Forum | Yamaha FZ-09 Forum (fz09.org)

·
Registered
660 Posts
This will not answer any questions about the 2021 MT-09, my bike being a 2019 SP. but the general principle applies, so I hope my reply adds to the body of opinions here.

I have had a number of MT-09 Tracers, plus a GT, and am now on my second SP, acquired recently from the first owner, who had a tasty but costly - about AUD$1200 - AKRA full zorst system fitted to the bike. I have always found the low underslung and almost-invisible stock zorst can on these earlier bikes to be a nice, albeit minor, design touch. And I have never been able to hear the stock zorst notes or sounds, despite my hearing being pretty good!

The expensive and quite pretty AKRA set-up on my new-to-me SP does give out a very modest level of sound, certainly not excessive, a low burble that's barely discernible at cruising speeds or under acceleration. Which brings me to my point - is all this cost worthwhile to gain just a few decibels? I'm not short of a few dollars to spend on my motorcycling pursuits, but certainly wouldn't have forked-out this amount of dosh for the AKRA system had it not already been on the bike when I bought it! It's a lot of dosh for little noise!

But - diff'rent folks, diff'rent strokes an' all that.

Crankset Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake

Reactions: Aleksandar13

·
Registered
213 Posts
This will not answer any questions about the 2021 MT-09, my bike being a 2019 SP. but the general principle applies, so I hope my reply adds to the body of opinions here.

I have had a number of MT-09 Tracers, plus a GT, and am now on my second SP, acquired recently from the first owner, who had a tasty but costly - about AUD$1200 - AKRA full zorst system fitted to the bike. I have always found the low underslung and almost-invisible stock zorst can on these earlier bikes to be a nice, albeit minor, design touch. And I have never been able to hear the stock zorst notes or sounds, despite my hearing being pretty good!

The expensive and quite pretty AKRA set-up on my new-to-me SP does give out a very modest level of sound, certainly not excessive, a low burble that's barely discernible at cruising speeds or under acceleration. Which brings me to my point - is all this cost worthwhile to gain just a few decibels? I'm not short of a few dollars to spend on my motorcycling pursuits, but certainly wouldn't have forked-out this amount of dosh for the AKRA system had it not already been on the bike when I bought it!

View attachment 168325
That's why I have went for a value for money system... Can't be justifiyng 1200 for a system when others can make it happen for 400. This is British pounds... And have the same or better quality. The Akra brand had become very popular and their asking prices are huge.
Aleks

·
Registered
3 Posts

The expensive and quite pretty AKRA set-up on my new-to-me SP does give out a very modest level of sound, certainly not excessive, a low burble that's barely discernible at cruising speeds or under acceleration. Which brings me to my point - is all this cost worthwhile to gain just a few decibels? I'm not short of a few dollars to spend on my motorcycling pursuits, but certainly wouldn't have forked-out this amount of dosh for the AKRA system had it not already been on the bike when I bought it! It's a lot of dosh for little noise!

View attachment 168325
Remove the baffle and report back... :)

·
Registered
660 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi guys. Not meaning to hi-Jack the thread
Apologies for the long ass post and questions

as a new member of the forum (my 2021 MT09 will arrive in 4 weeks 🤞🏼) - I’m looking at an exhaust system. Already ordered some Rizoma imitation retro bar end mirrors from AliExpress as well as a screen protector. I’m looking at windshields as well.

exhausts. - great thread - I don’t know much but am a voracious reader on the forums to research.
my options for looks are:
a). Akrapovic Racing line Carbon - I don’t like the high mount to be honest but the quality of the company and not needing a tune is quite appealing
b). Austin Racing GPR1 shorty, with the black ceramic coating is appealing because of the sound and the black look - again, quality of the welds and company is attractive - the headers/piping is titanium which is very appealing
c). SC Project - I like the look and sound and they can be gotten in black as well

my questions would be:
1. I have noticed that the headers of the AR system seem to really follow the lines of the bike, the main line being that if you look on their website and the pics of where the vertical pipes make a turn to go under the bike become horizontal seems as if there is less of the exhaust jutting out and reducing potential snagging or low clearance issues.
Q1. Is this a major issue or am I just over thinking it?

2. the AR really seems to be the only system that is full titanium which is appealing for the weight savings. The Akra and SC have stainless steel headers.
Q2. Am I over thinking the titanium vs stainless steel aspect regarding durability and weight and sound etc.?

3. I really like the look of the SC project in black. It’s the one I would go for (for looks). If it was made in titanium, had the quality reputation of Akra, I would choose this.
Q3. Having never looked at the inside of any exhaust or checked the welds of any in my life, Would I have any issues with picking this one? Or am I better to play it safe and go for the akra?

4. I take my wife and kids out in the bike (not at the same time). I’m concerned about their feet being close to the MOUNTS of the exhausts.
Q4. Would anyone see any issues with heat form the exhaust and the proximity to their feet, and the heels/feet coming into contact with the exhausts and causing damage or loosening

I will never push the bike to it’s limits
I will never take it to the track
I am 42 with 25 years of car driving experience, but only a year of riding a bike.
I have owned a 2019 Aprilia Shiver 900 with an Akrapovic exhaust and am currently riding a mate’s 2021 Ducati xDiavel S with a full termignoni system

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have never been much interested in aftermarket zorst systems for any of the many bikes I've owned until my current 2020 SP came into my possession recently. The bike's original owner had the dealer install an AKRAPOVIC 'Full Titanium' (as described by the specs) exhaust system, so I've since taken a bit of interest in this subject. It matters very little to me, but purely as a matter of interest could anyone familiar with the products tell me if, in fact, the system is - as described - 'Full Titanium, apart obviously from the carbon end-cap.. And how could I tell? - but I do have the complete OE system here for comparison. TIA all.

Pic below is from the Yamaha website... this is laser-etched 'Tracer 900' but my set-up appears identical but with 'MT-09' wording (second pic)...

Automotive tire Bicycle part Sports equipment Automotive design Font

Crankset Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,311 Posts
Am I over thinking the titanium vs stainless steel aspect regarding durability and weight and sound etc.?
Yes. Under those conditions, you would never, ever notice any difference in the weight between Ti and SS. In fact, you’d be hard pressed to notice the difference between stock and aftermarket, TBH. So don’t let that influence your decision.

Let your personal preference and price (if it matters) be your guide. As for passenger peg interference, I’ll let others chime in with their own experience…

·
Registered
209 Posts
It matters very little to me, but purely as a matter of interest could anyone familiar with the products tell me if, in fact, the system is - as described - 'Full Titanium, apart obviously from the carbon end-cap.. And how could I tell?
I had the non-OEM version of this system and it's not full titanium only the sleeve is titanium. And I've never seen Akrapovic call this system Full Titanium.
You can tell it's not full titanium b/c if you neglect the headers they'll start showing rust spots lol

·
Vendor
1,645 Posts
my questions would be:
1. I have noticed that the headers of the AR system seem to really follow the lines of the bike, the main line being that if you look on their website and the pics of where the vertical pipes make a turn to go under the bike become horizontal seems as if there is less of the exhaust jutting out and reducing potential snagging or low clearance issues.
Q1. Is this a major issue or am I just over thinking it? It could be or it may end up not being. We wont know till they are out a while and we see if people are bottoming them out

2. the AR really seems to be the only system that is full titanium which is appealing for the weight savings. The Akra and SC have stainless steel headers.
Q2. Am I over thinking the titanium vs stainless steel aspect regarding durability and weight and sound etc.? For a street bike if the extra coin is a factor yes, if the extra coin is not a factor then get the ti.

3. I really like the look of the SC project in black. It’s the one I would go for (for looks). If it was made in titanium, had the quality reputation of Akra, I would choose this.
Q3. Having never looked at the inside of any exhaust or checked the welds of any in my life, Would I have any issues with picking this one? Or am I better to play it safe and go for the akra? Sc project is quality. you wont have issues with that and technically no pipe NEEDS a tune as in the bike wont blow up but they all NEED a tune as far as making the bike run well

4. I take my wife and kids out in the bike (not at the same time). I’m concerned about their feet being close to the MOUNTS of the exhausts.
Q4. Would anyone see any issues with heat form the exhaust and the proximity to their feet, and the heels/feet coming into contact with the exhausts and causing damage or loosening Ive never seen an issue if their feet stay on the pegs

I am 42 with 25 years of car driving experience, but only a year of riding a bike.
I have owned a 2019 Aprilia Shiver 900 with an Akrapovic exhaust and am currently riding a mate’s 2021 Ducati xDiavel S with a full termignoni system

121 - 140 of 147 Posts