Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With spring coming up I've ordered some parts for the bike. After last summer, I knew the stock shock had to go. With no luck finding an rr shock and the price of the Zx10r shock averaging 200 bucks now, I ordered an 06 Zx6r for 50 bucks to get me by. My question is, I know the stock spring can be swapped onto the Zx10r shock to stiffen it up. Can the same be done on the Zx6r shock? I only weigh 155lbs with gear so idk if I'll need the extra stiffness or not and whether it's even possible to fit the stock spring on a Zx6r shock body. Any input would be helpful. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Good question. I tried to find out the same thing by researching this forum and if I can recall, the stock spring may be actually stiffer than the '06 ZX6 shock spring. I bought the same shock as you on ebay for $30 last December, and easily installed it myself without having to grind anything because there's no rubbing anywhere (clearance is minimal, however). I weigh 185 lbs. in gear and installed it with no pre-load. Rider sag measured 1". For your weight you may need to buy a lighter spring, especially if you don't firm up the forks afterwards.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct, the stock Fz09 spring is indeed stiffer than the Zx6r. I just need to know if the Zx6r spring will be sufficient for my weight or whether I should swap the stock Fz09 spring onto the Zx6r body. And is the swap even possible since the stock shock and Zx6r shock are different lengths.

Motodude, did you order the Suzuki parts such as spacer, bolt, and nut? I know they were required on a Zx6rr shock and assume I need them too.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The spring on the zx10 is considerably softer than the fz09/zx6r. The difference between to FZ09 9.8kg/mm and ZX6R 9.7 kg/mm is much closer, and not worth a swap imo unless you are getting a new spring for your actual weight... I'm not guaranteeing those numbers are correct but they are what I have seen posted elsewhere.

go to racetech's site and you can find the stock spring rates for all bikes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sparker, thanks for the info and your correct according to Racetech regarding spring rates. So from researching the Zx6r vs Zx10r, the general consensus seems the Zx10r is better. However, If the Zx6r comes with a stiffer spring, then why are people favoring the Zx10r? I thought they had the same adjustments are far as compression and rebound? Or does the Zx10r have High speed & Low speed adjustments for both?

·
Registered
120 Posts
With a softer spring, the ZX10r shock would have probably been better for your weight, but hey, for $50 why not just try it with no preload or compression and see if it works for you. I checked into the Suzuki inserts route but the dealer wanted $23 and would have had to order the stuff. So I used a drill press to auger out a larger hole (12mm) on the bottom of the aluminum shock clevis.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahhh so the drilling is only to allow the stock bolt to fit. Got it. I'll probably just drill it then.

So back to the other question, most riders are heavier than me yet they opt for the Zx10r shock when I would think the heavier sprung and cheaper Zx6r would be the better route. What am i missing here? Why are people buying a Zx10r then putting the stock Fz 09 spring on when they could have just bought a Zx6r and not have to swap springs?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I can't say for sure, but I do think the zx10r has high speed and low speed settings, which is nice. Also I think a lot of people just want "the best" and internet boards lend themselves to wanting to have what everyone else has. The plain old zx6r has made my bike SOOOO much nicer than stock, its not even close. I can't say how nice the other ones are, because I haven't tried them. If you get it and like it, fight the urge to wonder if the grass is greener. Save up for an entry level Ohlins or Penske at $650 before you drop $200 on the zx10 shock imo. $35 will get you by until then, again just my opinion, but that is what I am doing.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks sparker I appreciate the rider review and information. I'm pretty sure anything will be better than stock. I don't do track days or anything and would only consider myself an intermediate level rider. But even at 150lbs and some spirited riding, the flaws are very apparent on the rear shock. Fork cartridges will come before a new rear shock so long as I don't see any major faults in the Zx6r.

·
Registered
654 Posts
still running the stock suspension on my FZ, I have a zx10 shock in my SV, it is for the high and low speed adjustments on both compression and rebound.

Reactions: Th3 VVay

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks sparker I appreciate the rider review and information. I'm pretty sure anything will be better than stock. I don't do track days or anything and would only consider myself an intermediate level rider. But even at 150lbs and some spirited riding, the flaws are very apparent on the rear shock. Fork cartridges will come before a new rear shock so long as I don't see any major faults in the Zx6r.
So how is it? How was it to install?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I think if anything, this spring is too stiff for your weight. I'm 200 lbs and with very little preload on my 05-06 ZX6R shock, the sag is just about right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts