Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Zx6r rear shock setup

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  BigPainRing 
#1 ·
I've installed a 2006 Zx6r shock on my MT09 and I'm looking for some assistance setting it up.

It came off another Mt09 and I was told it was fine and I'd notice a massive improvement.
After riding around 100 miles, it seems way to stiff, if I hit a bump, it pops me off the seat and I feel every single bump in the road (my stock shock was better)

I weigh 60kgs (132lbs) on my gear. I want to adjust the pre-load, but have know idea what to set it at. I've adjusted the rebound and compression, but it's not made any difference. When I sit on the bike, it hardly moves.

Any help appreciated here

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
The spring is way too stiff for you on that shock. The oem spring and shock was a better fit for you at your weight.

If you want to keep the zx6r shock, id suggest getting a very light spring to put on it if that's even possible. I've never used one so I wouldn't know.

#7 ·
Found it very bouncy, like a pogo stick

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Did you try adjusting it at all?
Reason I ask, your weight is right around where it was designed for. Bet you could dial it in a bit.
I too swapped the shock because it was too bouncy, and I’m near 200lbs geared up.

#11 ·
Talk to Terry at Norwest suspension, I did and he recommeded his revalve work on the stock shock and using the correct spring he said the stock shock is not bad with some work. I was going to go that route till I found a JRI shock on here for a little more than getting the factory shock re-worked.

#12 ·
That ZX6R shock would be better than your stocker if you are willing to put a little money/work into it. You need a softer spring and the shock may need an overhaul (don't know how used it is). With the right spring and fresh oil and gas charge it is far more adjustable than your stocker and with a little tuning should provide a more controlled ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.