Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '05 zx6r shock on the rear of my bike, I am wondering how you guys are dealing with the stock hardware. I drilled the hole out to fit the bolt, assuming that the shaft of the bolt would fit through both holes... well, with the washers installed as in the stock configuration the shaft of the bolt is too short, which means the threaded end of the bolt is just hanging out in the air. I have a couple pictures to show what I am talking about, in the second picture I have left the bolt out a hair more than it actually is, to illustrate the point. When fully tightened, the shaft does barely penetrate the hole (haha) 2-3mm but it doesn't seem quite sufficient to me. As I see it there are a few options:

1. Ignore it
2. Remove washers for more shaft penetration
3. Use some suzuki kit referenced in another thread that I have no clue how to find, and that option is probably voided due to the fact I have already drilled the hole.
4. Go back in time and drill a smaller diameter hole on the threaded side of the shock

Is there another option I am not seeing?

Floor
Hardwood Wood stain Laminate flooring Wood Floor

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
For option #3. I got the parts from Partzilla if you want to go that route.

And if you want to go all the way back in time, I believe there's a guy on the local forum here (BARF) selling a ZX6R shock for $35

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For option #3. I got the parts from Partzilla if you want to go that route.

And if you want to go all the way back in time, I believe there's a guy on the local forum here (BARF) selling a ZX6R shock for $35
Thanks for the heads up on BARF, I sent him a PM. As for option #3 I really don't think that will work for the shock I already drilled... the holes are now the same diameter as OEM shock with more space between them.

My main point in posting this is to ask people who have drilled their holes to OEM size, how did they deal with this? My guess is they ignore it since they saw it on the internet.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Product Metal Wood Steel
OEM vs 636

Here is why the stock hardware won't fit, just showing for the members who have followed advice and drilled 12mm holes, it might "work" but not enough to make me comfortable. Best to get the conversion kit.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
As another option you could go down to your local hardware store and buy a 12mm bolt of the correct length.

Reactions: sparker

·
Registered
962 Posts
You can still use that shock.

Option 1) Mill down the outside of the flange on the side where you insert the bolt to match the thickness of the flange on the stock bolt. A machine shop can do it easily with a table grinder.

Option 2) You should be able to get a longer bolt with the unthreaded shaft long enough. You can always cut off any extra - so look for the diameter, thread, and length of unthreaded that you need. We have "Capital Bolt" that carries every bolt you can think of - but should be able to get one online from a place like this: https://www.boltdepot.com/Metric_hex_bolts_Stainless_steel_18-8_12mm_x_1.75mm.aspx Home Depot might have a version you can use. I'd look for stainless, but the stock i probably just zinc anyway. M12-1.75 x 80 mm Zinc-Plated Metric Hex Bolt-39858 - The Home Depot

·
Registered
520 Posts
Others are correct in saying you should acquire proper length, I however, just ignored it... Being how close it is, the metal in the stud would still probably need to go through a lot of it's tensile strength for an issue to arise. But doing something correctly is always best option.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Others are correct in saying you should acquire proper length, I however, just ignored it... Being how close it is, the metal in the stud would still probably need to go through a lot of it's tensile strength for an issue to arise. But doing something correctly is always best option.
I ignored it to begin with, but removed it after a couple weeks to adjust preload and the washer on the loose end disintegrated. There is obviously enough moving going on to wear out the washer, I'd advise switching it out asap, personally I already did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts