Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I believe 2008-2010 zx10 and zx6rr .. They both have higher spring rate and offer both preload and dampening adjustments,
The 6rr is same size, the zx10 adds 8mm length, raises back 10mm, gives 10mm more drainplug clearance and slight wheelbase decrease.

Im no expert but this is the basic changes... I believe all of them require rear holes to be drilled out from 10mm to 12mm if you dont get bushings/new hardware.

And 1/4" trim of the plastic tray under seat if you face canister up awY from engine heat.

(Edited after information acquired)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
05 or 06 and you don't want the 6R. You want the 6RR.

6R is totally different from the 6RR. 6RR is a triple clicker high performance shock.

I have a 6RR on my FZ. It performs as well as the Penske and Racetech high end shocks. I have ridden FZ-09's with both of these shocks and you would be hard pressed to see very much difference.

If you can find a 6RR (they are getting hard to find) send it to Traxxion Dynamics for a overhaul and re-valve. They did mine and it turned out great.

The stock valving is way too aggressive for the FZ. My riding weight is round 180 and they had to reduce the compression damping by 50% and install a softer spring.

You can try running it stock but unless you weigh 250 pounds you will find it waaaaaaaaaaaaay too stiff.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
What spring are you using? I'm just curious... The 9.4 kg/mm work the best for me on the ZX-10 shock. We are the same weight.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
What spring are you using? I'm just curious... The 9.4 kg/mm work the best for me on the ZX-10 shock. We are the same weight.
I think Dan said they installed a 550 lb spring.

With the stock spring 600 lb? and the stock valving when you hit a square edged bump at speed it felt like it would break my back.

It is still pretty firm at speed but nothing like before.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I think Dan said they installed a 550 lb spring.

With the stock spring 600 lb? and the stock valving when you hit a square edged bump at speed it felt like it would break my back.

It is still pretty firm at speed but nothing like before.
Good. 9.4 kg/mm is 525 lbs. The ZX-10 shock is a bit over damp so we are probably within the same ball park. Thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hawkerjet, why the ZX6rr shock over the ZX6r? Just because its a triple clicker? I just want something better than stock and the ZX6rr is hard to come by. I also only weigh 150 with gear so I'm thinking the softer ZX6r shock would work better without modification.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hey Marthy, what year zx10 for the shock? and does it bolt on without any modifications to the shock or the fz?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Running the ZX6RR, stock spring, mild damper setting... With gear, storage bags, windshields, ...probably pushing 220 lbs... Works just fine. Planted like a tree.

·
Registered
347 Posts
This... This was a good mod. For under $50 I have so much more confidence in the bike. Less correcting my line mid turn. Now wallowing in a g out. Just nice.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ive run both the zx6r and zx6rr shock. I liked them both alot, but the zx6rr is better for my weight and riding style. I'm just over 200lbs with gear. The zx6r shock is slightly longer and I liked how that changed the geometry of the bike, but went with the rr because of the stiffer spring and better adjustability. I've since lowered the front end 10mm and got a similar effect. Either one of these shocks will make a big difference compared to the stock shock. I dont want to ship but if anyone is local wants the zx6r shock I'll sell it for $30. Its drilled and ready to bolt in place.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ive run both the zx6r and zx6rr shock. I liked them both alot, but the zx6rr is better for my weight and riding style. I'm just over 200lbs with gear. The zx6r shock is slightly longer and I liked how that changed the geometry of the bike, but went with the rr because of the stiffer spring and better adjustability. I've since lowered the front end 10mm and got a similar effect. Either one of these shocks will make a big difference compared to the stock shock. I dont want to ship but if anyone is local wants the zx6r shock I'll sell it for $30. Its drilled and ready to bolt in place.
Have you done anything with the front forks as well? I know as soon as I swap the shock I'm really gonna notice how bad the forks suck. I don't ride too crazy but I was pushing it the other day with some buddies and this bike just gets so upset in hard corners. Especially if there are any bumps mid turn.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have put in springs and heavier oil and paid a local suspension tuner to set it up for me. When I first put on the shock the front end was stock with the preload cranked down all the way and the rebound full hard.

I sat on a stock bike the other day and was amazed at how different it was from my bike. Im really pleased with where it is now but I'm still intending to get the gp suspension fork piston kit too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
I weigh 165 with gear. I dont ride super aggressively, but when I took my FZ out on some twisties over the weekend, I noticed how bad the stock shock is over bumpy roads. On smooth roads, stock was fine. But needless to say, I'm looking to upgrade without breaking the bank.

Im trying to understand why someone would go with the ZX-6r vs ZX-6rr vs ZX-10r shock.
From what i can gather the 2005-06 6r/6rr or the 2008-10 zx-10r shock will work.. Either option requires drilling the hole from 10mm to 12mm, right?

I dont know much about suspension tuning and will be taking it to a motorcycle suspension place local to me (Catalyst Reaction). I'm going to have them change the front fork oil to 10w

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I have put in springs and heavier oil and paid a local suspension tuner to set it up for me. When I first put on the shock the front end was stock with the preload cranked down all the way and the rebound full hard.

I sat on a stock bike the other day and was amazed at how different it was from my bike. Im really pleased with where it is now but I'm still intending to get the gp suspension fork piston kit too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the local suspension tuner charge for oil/spring swap? Did you use Catalyst Reaction Tuning by chance?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I had Rich at berk performance do the spring swap. I changed the oil myself after and I had Dave Moss (used to own catalyst) do the suspension set up. I can't remember how much the spring swap was but less than $80 because I think I paid $85 and he mounted and balanced a tire too.

Dave charged $40 to set up the suspension but I was spot on with the rear sag so it didn't take him too much time to adjust everything. He was at the Fairfield cycle gear one evening with his mobile shop he takes to all the afm races.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts