Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered my zx10r shock off of Ebay. Picked up with one that had exact mileage and looked to be in good condition.

My questions include:
1. Should I drill the hole on the shock off center towards the spring to try and get a few mm closer to stock? (zx10r shock 8mm longer than stock fz09 shock (330mm)
2. What settings should I set to try and ballpark the sag, etc. before I install it? Please be specific here (rebound, preload, etc.)
3. Do I need to worry about clearance issues at all?
4. Any opinions on installing it with the reservoir down or up?

Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 175lbs w/gear
Riding type: aggressive

I know this is probably covered a bit in the probably. I have been through them all and would just like some peace of mind/confidence.

Thank you all. I ****ing love this place and everyone who is a part of it.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
An 8mm longer shock equals 19mm more ride height with the 2.37 : 1 linkage ratio. I wouldn't run that much more ride height. Some have, but that doesn't make it sensible.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An 8mm longer shock equals 19mm more ride height with the 2.37 : 1 linkage ratio. I wouldn't run that much more ride height. Some have, but that doesn't make it sensible.
I will try and off set it so that it gets closer to stock shock length. Not sure I want to go to the extent of welding the original hole shut and drilling a new one like some have. But, that would make it easy to create a "close to" 330mm length. I do not mind the raise in height, as people say it is a welcome and improves handling. I just do not want to much like you are saying. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I had +8mm on my penske, she'll be right.
I am also 190cm tall, and can flat foot every bike i have ever owned with legs bent, including motards. Extra ride height is awesome.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had +8mm on my penske, she'll be right.
I am also 190cm tall, and can flat foot every bike i have ever owned with legs bent, including motards. Extra ride height is awesome.
Hell yeah. So stoked to see the change everyone has been talking about.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the same shock. I weigh 250 lbs. and had to install a stiffer spring. Had to back off the high speed damping quite a bit. Installed mine reservoir down which allows access to the compression damping adjusters. It's tight but I can get to them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I installed a 2010 ZX10R shock, reservoir up, drilled a hole in the frame for the screw adjustment. Slide the forks down in the clamp about 5mm to offset rear height increase. The only issue is that the kick stand is unstable at certain angles. The bike turns in quicker, but is very stable even under hard acceleration without a steering stabilizer. I did have a suspension guy at the track adjust it. The front forks are stock with a 1K front spring upgrade when the forks were serviced. The rear shock I one of the best $100 I ever spent. Fairly easy install.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I installed a 2010 ZX10R shock, reservoir up, drilled a hole in the frame for the screw adjustment. Slide the forks down in the clamp about 5mm to offset rear height increase. The only issue is that the kick stand is unstable at certain angles. The bike turns in quicker, but is very stable even under hard acceleration without a steering stabilizer. I did have a suspension guy at the track adjust it. The front forks are stock. It’s one of the best $100 I ever spent. Fairly easy install.
Yeah...just got mine in the mail...it was bent. Stupid ebay can screw you over sometimes with descriptions and pictures. I am super stoked to get one. Now I just have to find another one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts