Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Installed a 2009 kawasaki ZX10R shock on my rapid red today. Everything went pretty good and so far I am happy with the improvement from the short ride I took. As you can see in the pics, I removed the gas tank to get at the shock, but I left the gas line attached and just set the tank on the back of the bike. I left the plastic tray on and did not have a problem fitting the shock in. I knew someone with a mill, so I had the bottom hole on the clevis drilled out perfectly and had it offset forward 1mm.

I weigh 145lbs. I have the preload close to backed all the way off, but I haven't taken sag measurements yet. I have the rebound and low speed compression as soft as they will go and they seem pretty good where they are at. I have high speed compression 2 turns in from all the way out right now, but I might change that.

Also, a shout out to stoltec moto for the footpeg pins I purchased! They made flipping the pegs and setting them on jack stands possible.

View attachment 4436 View attachment 4437 View attachment 4438

·
Registered
584 Posts
Reservoir up or down?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I said I had the preload almost maxed out, I was thinking about it the wrong way. I have the preload backed almost all the way off (maximum amount of sag). I have 2 threads showing on the top of the shock above the collar. I just took some measurements and I have about 55mm of sag in the rear which is too much. I will recheck my measurements though. I am going to pull the shock off and adjust the preload when I get a chance. I'm going to shoot for about 35mm of sag.

·
Registered
877 Posts
When I said I had the preload almost maxed out, I was thinking about it the wrong way. I have the preload backed almost all the way off (maximum amount of sag). I have 2 threads showing on the top of the shock above the collar. I just took some measurements and I have about 55mm of sag in the rear which is too much. I will recheck my measurements though. I am going to pull the shock off and adjust the preload when I get a chance. I'm going to shoot for about 35mm of sag.
Very important question: Is the eye to center line of clevis exactly 13 inches like OEM FZ 09 shock ?

My ZX 10 / Ohlins shock was 8 mm longer, so had to make shorter.

Details in link : http://www.fz09.org/forum/10-fz-09-...hock-conversion-machine-work-skunk-werkz.html

At 55 mm of sag you may have inadvertently saved your hide.

Steering is already pretty quick, bordering on twitchy, stock.

If the shock is 8 mm too long like mine was, it will raise the ass end about 20 mm, or so which would make steering even quicker / twitchy.

The linkage is a multiple of shock movement usually making rear go up or down 2 1/2 times the travel of the shock.

The hole would need to be moved 8 mm into the clevis.

The question would be if the OEM ZX 10 clevis has enough clearance.

My Ohlins conversion had more .

The changes needed will be picture in the link , above.

Proceed with caution.

Reactions: Travis

·
Registered
584 Posts
Very important question: Is the eye to center line of clevis exactly 13 inches like OEM FZ 09 shock ?

My ZX 10 / Ohlins shock was 8 mm longer, so had to make shorter.

Details in link : http://www.fz09.org/forum/10-fz-09-...hock-conversion-machine-work-skunk-werkz.html

At 55 mm of sag you may have inadvertently saved your hide.

Steering is already pretty quick, bordering on twitchy, stock.

If the shock is 8 mm too long like mine was, it will raise the ass end about 20 mm, or so which would make steering even quicker / twitchy.

The linkage is a multiple of shock movement usually making rear go up or down 2 1/2 times the travel of the shock.

The hole would need to be moved 8 mm into the clevis.

The question would be if the OEM ZX 10 clevis has enough clearance.

My Ohlins conversion had more .

The changes needed will be picture in the link , above.

Proceed with caution.

I, for one, appreciate your precision and insight on the shock length dimension!

NTL, Marthy and others have installed these Kawasaki Shocks, reservoir up/reservoir down, various spring rates and various pre-loads... none of them have mentioned any steering or handling issues. In fact, there has been nothing but praise compared to the stock shock. Moving the mounting hole 8mm is beyond the reach of most since we'd need someway to press fit an aluminum rod into the existing 10mm hole and then someway to locate and drill/mill the 12mm hole.

Unless Showa/Kawasaki jig-drills the 10mm hole after the shock is assembled, the eye-to-eye length variation is probably several mm just due to the tolerance build-up across all the individual parts of the shock...and the spring tolerance buildup even larger?

Clearance questions are critical however since any binding could "lock-up" the suspension...

Just wondering...

thx, G

·
Registered
877 Posts
I, for one, appreciate your precision and insight on the shock length dimension!

NTL, Marthy and others have installed these Kawasaki Shocks, reservoir up/reservoir down, various spring rates and various pre-loads... none of them have mentioned any steering or handling issues. In fact, there has been nothing but praise compared to the stock shock. Moving the mounting hole 8mm is beyond the reach of most since we'd need someway to press fit an aluminum rod into the existing 10mm hole and then someway to locate and drill/mill the 12mm hole.

Unless Showa/Kawasaki jig-drills the 10mm hole after the shock is assembled, the eye-to-eye length variation is probably several mm just due to the tolerance build-up across all the individual parts of the shock...and the spring tolerance buildup even larger?

Clearance questions are critical however since any binding could "lock-up" the suspension...

Just wondering...

thx, G
From what I have seen, assembled length is pretty consistent with most shock makers.

Maybe 1 mm at the most, but certainly not 8 mm ( 5/16 " ) variance.

Even the 2 OEM FZ 09 shocks I measured are both right at 13 inches.

Reactions: taoshum

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No issues with binding on my shock, although the bushing in the top of the shock is probably going to need to be refreshed this winter. No clearance issues either.

I had the bottom hole offset 1mm forward, giving me a center of eye to center of eye length of 306.5mm. Stock FZ-09 shock is 300mm. So to compensate for this I figured I would add a little extra sag so the rear seat height didn't go way up. At my weight of 145lbs, I couldn't even get close to the right amount of sag with how stiff the stock shock spring is, so my sag with the stock shock was barely under the static seat height. I readjusted my preload today and I dialed it in perfect this time! I was shooting for 39mm and I have 39mm of total sag now! Not very often it works out like that! I measured my seat height, and with the preload set where it is, my seat height is 32.0 inches. Stock seat height is 32.1 inches. I will go for a test ride tomorrow and get back to everyone.
View attachment 4533

·
Registered
584 Posts
From what I have seen, assembled length is pretty consistent with most shock makers.

Maybe 1 mm at the most, but certainly not 8 mm ( 5/16 " ) variance.

Even the 2 OEM FZ 09 shocks I measured are both right at 13 inches.
You know more about it than most... No chance there is a threaded length adjustment??? Probably not...

·
Registered
877 Posts
You know more about it than most..

. No chance there is a threaded length adjustment??? Probably not...
Adjustment on some Ohlins, but not OEM Kaw ZX 10.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went for a good ride today and the rear end feels awesome now! The front end is going to need some heavier weight oil at the very least now. I currently have my settings at Low Spd: all the way soft, High Spd: 1/2 turn in, Rebound: 1 turn in. One of the best upgrades you can make for the $ if you are in the right weight range.
View attachment 4572 View attachment 4573 View attachment 4574

1 - 13 of 13 Posts