Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

ZX10 rear shock

246K views 426 replies 124 participants last post by  42286/ 
#1 ·
I have been seeing a few members have installed ZX10 rear shocks on their 9ers. Looking for any info on install tips and tricks, along with settings. Feel free to chime in on your experiences and what modifications were necessary to install. Thanks in advance.

#2 · (Edited)
2008-10

I have a Marthy's built thread with some pictures. If fit right in, just need to drill one end of the shock bigger for the fz09 hardware and little bit of trimming on the under tray plastic.

When I sit on the bike it drop 28mm. Start with that. I will post my setting later on just to give you an idea where to start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

#263 ·
Hey Marthy, I just purchased the 2009 ZX10 rear shock. Will I need to remove the black canister to install the ZX10 shock "facing up"? Also if I simply pivot the tank forward vs taking the tank off will there be enough room to trim the tray and install the shock? Thanks so much for all the work you do on this forum!!

#3 ·
28mm of loaded sag (bike, rider, and gear) is a little tight in my opinion, unless you are riding it quite hard/track days/etc. I'm not saying that won't work, but the ride will be a bit on the harsh side. Ride it like that and see if you think you may need to soften up the sag setting a bit. YMMV!

Reactions: nickv09
#4 ·
That's not total sag... just +28mm when I sit on it. The shock is 6mm longet or so. To keep the same ride height I end up with more free sag. Feel good but Im sure somone can optimizes the setting better than I do. Riding in Florida kind of sucks!

#5 ·
Thanks Marthy, I have checked out your build and am just hoping that there may be some more photos of the process. It seems I may need to acquire a shock to size it up and visualize better on installing it. As far as adjustments go, are they clearly marked on the shock?

#15 ·
Thanks to Marthy for pioneering the ZX10R shock mod. Got mine installed yesterday (bitch to install, and set sag). Went for a ride today. Bike feels much better damped and firmer, front and rear are now working in unison. Temp was 40F, wet roads. sand in places. Not the time to hang it out, had a moderate pace going and felt confident. No more chassis pitching over bumps, or off/on throttle. Made the throttle snatch in "A" mode better just because the front didn't dive, and the rear didn't squat (at least very little compared to stock).

The rear is now 3/4 inch higher than stock, which is perfect for me as previously I had the front forks pulled up 1/2 inch in the triples to get more weight on the front end (forks are now back to stock height).

I'm 170.5 lbs. in my leathers. The 2009 ZX10R shock is maxed out for pre-load, to get me 33.70 MM of total sag. Although Marthy is around 20 lbs. heavier than I am, and say's it works for him as well, with the stock ZX spring rate.

I am currently using the same settings as Marthy: High Speed Compression 3 turns out, Low Sp. Comp. 3 turns out, and Rebound 2 turns out from full stiff. I'm sure these settings will change a bit when I am able to ride in anger.

With the front and rear mostly sorted, for less than $135.00, and the ECU re-flash soon to take care of the throttle snatch,remove the limiters, and timing retard, the FZ is transformed. This is the way the FZ should have come from the factory.

Thanks to the guys developing the FZ: Nick at Stoltec Moto, and those he is working with, and Marthy who built the first pipe for sale, and put the ZX10 shock on.

I feel now the FZ-09 is as good as my old Street Triple R's were suspension wise, and will soon be fueling wise, but with a lot more power.

It's an unbelievable bike for the money, especially with a few inexpensive mods.

#16 ·
My question is:

I have my ZX-10 shock in the garage, I'm about 200 geared. How do you expect it to handle my weight?

I'm going to find out soon...but I'm curious what to expect.

-z

#17 ·
Glad it all work out for you. I didn't pay too much attention to free sag, it felt a bot too stiff for me. When I sit on the bike it sag another 28mm. Feel good for the type of riding I do. Anymore preload felt like the bike wasn't transferring weight tye the back enough. So as far as RH I think the rear end is about same as stock or 3mm lower, the front is drop 8mm.

Zlo, I think at 200 you mightend up near the limit of the spring... depending of the type of riding you do. I would recommend that you swap spring and install the oem spring instead, that should be enough.

#18 ·
Glad it all work out for you. I didn't pay too much attention to free sag, it felt a bot too stiff for me. When I sit on the bike it sag another 28mm. Feel good for the type of riding I do. Anymore preload felt like the bike wasn't transferring weight tye the back enough. So as far as RH I think the rear end is about same as stock or 3mm lower, the front is drop 8mm.

Zlo, I think at 200 you mightend up near the limit of the spring... depending of the type of riding you do. I would recommend that you swap spring and install the oem spring instead, that should be enough.

So far so good, only put around 40 miles on so far. Dry day today, will get out and put on some more miles.

I agree with what Marthy said. Might be ok depending on the type of riding you do, and experience. Otherwise just try swapping springs with the stock shock. Good luck, post your findings when done.

#23 ·
#281 ·
my other bike is a first gen SV650 and the guys on SVRider.com updated the shock charts as needed. its accurate down to how much you need to move the battery box (on the SV) to fit the shock reservoir by shock model and generation of SV.

Still reading this thread (stopped at the comment I quoted but will finish) im 255 without my gear, is there an already decided on donor shock of choice for heavy FZ09 riders without going aftermarket?

#28 · (Edited)
so I installed a 2008 zx10r shock today. trimmed the plastic tray to clear the reservoir, but didn't like how the compression adjusters were a pita to get to. turns out you can mount the shock with the reservoir pointing down towards the starter and get a clear strait shot at the adjusters from the right side. at full droop, there is about 1/8" gap between the shock and starter, and as the suspension compresses, you gain clearance. Now im not too sure i could have gotten the shock flipped around that way without trimming the plastic tray back. i guess the next guy to put their shock in can give it a try before cutting it up.

also found my rear brake line rubbed the paint off the swing arm a little bit :( although the brake line covers it....

#31 ·
also found my rear brake line rubbed the paint off the swing arm a little bit :( although the brake line covers it....

The creepy part is how mine looks exactly like that. I wish it wouldn't do that!

#30 ·
And I just finished yesterday lol I woulda flipped it around.

#34 ·
Finally got an actual ride in! The ZX-10 rear is a little soft, but it handles the bumps and holes much much better! With the front springs replaced, she glides nicely.

#38 ·
That red will look good! You might be able to point the reservoir down...it comes close to the starter for the ZX-10 according to another member(it may be in this thread but i'm too lazy) But it doesn't hit it. That might prevent you from removing the charcoal canister.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.