Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several reviews state the suspension is enough for some trail riding.....Opinions???

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Shouldn't be any worst than one of these, the only question is can you get some off road knobby tires for it? lol.

26b33ee4b558d1267e542f2d485237e5.jpg

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
962 Posts
Depends on the trail. I used mine on lots of dual track and relatively smooth single track. Large ruts or rocks are the problem because of the small tires and low ground clearance. I could make it through the drainage culvert when it was dry without having to help it out - but it was close.
IMGP2507.jpg
I had a sturdy basket mounted on the front and even with a gallon of milk, gallon of tea, and other groceries - I always took the 1 mile dirt trails out the back of my neighborhood to the store rather than the 5 mile out and around trip.
It was a great way to run to the store, pick the kid up at school, run over to a neighbors house... It could do 65 or 70 - but not easily, so I tried to avoid highways. Anything 45mph or below it was great for.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^. "...was...???" Was it sold or traded..???

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
136 Posts
I bought 1 for my wife no Bueno on even dirt roads. Granted she has no experience off road.

Following her down a mountain road she was doing 60mph and I thought this was a bad idea.

It works great in the RV parks running trash and going to the store for beer.

Offroad no it crosses nice manicured grass very well.

·
Registered
962 Posts
^^^. "...was...???" Was it sold or traded..???
Sold it, my VStrom 1000, my Lariat F250 FX4 CrewCab Diesel and a lot of other things I didn't want to sell. I went through a divorce and cancer together, then a rash of home damage and breakins, then repeated identity theft (yeah - I think they were all related).

I'd mounted a backrest, a matching basket on the rear, and highway pegs for my daughter - but I don't have any pictures showing it all. They're a great little runaround though.
IMGP1263.jpg IMGP2493.jpg

·
Registered
385 Posts
Do you have a link for that basket?

PS - sorry about that BS you had to deal with. Got the t-shirt for having to sell bikes b-c of ex. GRrrrr

Depends on the trail. I used mine on lots of dual track and relatively smooth single track. Large ruts or rocks are the problem because of the small tires and low ground clearance. I could make it through the drainage culvert when it was dry without having to help it out - but it was close.
View attachment 14035
I had a sturdy basket mounted on the front and even with a gallon of milk, gallon of tea, and other groceries - I always took the 1 mile dirt trails out the back of my neighborhood to the store rather than the 5 mile out and around trip.
It was a great way to run to the store, pick the kid up at school, run over to a neighbors house... It could do 65 or 70 - but not easily, so I tried to avoid highways. Anything 45mph or below it was great for.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Always get jealous of the delivery guys using these Zumas with off road tires treading through snow while I have to keep the bike parked. If I have to live through another winter, I might pick up a cheap one for snow-day use in the city!
There are plenty 125-150cc automatic scooters going to the world's highest motoroable roads in the Himalayas- and seem to perform better than some fancy, expensive hardcore heavy adv bikes. Go figure.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honda PCX 125/150 or Yamaha Zuma 125....???

·
Registered
391 Posts
Not sure how different the 125 suspension is but my 2003 Zuma 50 is not good as a trail bike. I'd do something else.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Do you have a link for that basket?

PS - sorry about that BS you had to deal with. Got the t-shirt for having to sell bikes b-c of ex. GRrrrr
It's a Bontrager Simple City basket - but they stopped making them a few years ago. I bought all that I could get my hands on because they're sturdy as hell and the mounts are easy to customize/adjust. The Zuma's brush guards are mostly cosmetic, but they make good mounting points. I've set up similar ones for friends and the next best thing I found was the Minoura King Carrier.
http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-Carri...25574013&sr=1-4&keywords=Minoura+King+Carrier

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I took a Honda Elite for a few laps around a motocross track once and it was awesome. I don't know how the wheels didn't fall off...it should have been in pieces after that. Fun times.

I would not recommend a moped for a trail bike lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts