Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm now at the stage where im very happy with my MT09.

List of things i've added/modified (mostly chronogical):

SW-Motech frame sliders
Trex engine case protectors
custom skateboard wheel axle sliders
grey shorty levers (clutch cut even shorter so i can use 2 fingers only)
bar-end mirrors
relocated the dash multiple times until i was happy with where it was. its now lower and tilted more forwards.
relocated the master cylinder to the under-seat compartment when i removed the pillion pegs
EJK fuel controller
Custom slip-on exhaust with an Ixil Carbon Xtrem muffler on the stock headers. (stock exhaust can slip back on)
airbox mod
SW-Motech sump guard

i think thats it.

if anyone wants any additional information on how the modifications were done, how they look in person, how they hold up etc etc just post up and i'll add it in.

pictures!!

View attachment 6898

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Looks Great.........!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
What is this air box mod you speak of?

did read correctly, you relocated the master cylinder to under the seat?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is this air box mod you speak of?

did read correctly, you relocated the master cylinder to under the seat?
ok yes definitely not the master cylinder, i meant reservoir.
the air box mod has been done on here, i think by Marthy???. basically you cut open the air intake so that the air goes directly to the air filter instead of passing through a kind of pipe. there's a picture in this thread. it means you get a lot more air flow.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/14-fz-09-performance/383-airbox-show-tell-3.html

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
not sure how i missed that air box mod, looks like a pretty extreme solution. where you able to tell a difference with it open like that?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it definitely sounds different. its like a deafening bass when you open up the throttle. it feels like more top end power, slightly. it runs at a lower temperature to (~70C instead of ~80C).
you'd need an fuel controller or ecu flash though otherwise itll be running pretty lean.

im still running a baffle in the exhaust. with that out it will be really loud and have more grunt.

im definitely no expert but the guy who sold me the exhaust and cut open my airbox knows what he's talking about and was saying the bike feels like it did in A mode when its in B mode with the airbox mod and exhuast without a baffle. and he didnt have a fuel controller yet...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Air box mods are pretty common - I havent it to mine and probably wont now its been tuned to my setup.

I like the sound of modded airboxes, you get a louder rushing noise with the air flowing in easier. That being said cutting massive chunks in your airbox means other crap gets in that otherwise doesnt - your much better off having an AM filter in that case as your stock one will cop a battering, especially if your going on unsealed roads?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
handle great on gravel roads. its so fun just peeling off a usual twisty road and doing a few powerslides in the dirt. i even took it on a 'kiddies' MX trail.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
got my 10,000 km service today. i asked the dealer to fit a low profile sump plug that i brought with me. he said he wouldnt fit anything if it was 'genuine yamaha' and pretty much had to argue until he said he'd do it haha. anyway, after i got my bike back, i went about modifying the oil pan. im happy with the result.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its been a while since i last posted on the forum. I decided to post up again because I saw the 'generic chinese steering damper mod' and thought i'd do it.

here is what i came up with. its so F*****G close to the radiator but its not touching. very tight fit all round. I just wanted to show people another way of mounting it if they're having trouble

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Julian, sorry mate, but that looks terrible. Just my opinion...

...as long as you're happy with it mate, that's the main thing

1 - 20 of 21 Posts