Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI All,

A couple of people have asked about the installation. I know others have done it and posted pictures, but here is mine.

So i decided there were two options.

1, ditch the bar end weights and move the grips/controls in about 20mm (the length that the grips over sail the bars)
2, keep the bar end weights and fit the guards to them.

I chose option 2. I saw a few people had drilled out their bar end weights to accept the pinch bolt that comes with the guards, but that meant drilling a 14-15mm hole and i would loose the M8 Alan key fitting in the end of the bar end weight and i couldn't see how to get them on or off after that?? So i decided to drill and tap the weight to accept an M6 bolt keeping the M8 alan thing intact. So i went and bought a tap and die set and got to it!! There were a few issues with the mounting of these. The bars are tapered and neither the 22.2 or 28.6 clamps fitted. But as i got both sets with the hand guards on eBay i was able to use bits from each kit to make a clamp that fitted. I just had to drill out one of the clamp arms so i could pass an M8 bolt through it. This also overcame the clashing issue with the standard brackets and the clutch cable and the front brake reservoir on the other side. Anywhoo, it took most of a day to do, but the results look great and its a very rigid installation. Oh, and of course i attacked the guards with the carbon wrap lol

·
Registered
657 Posts
Nice work! Drilling and tapping the bar end weights was a great idea. In retrospect that would have been the way to go.

I was looking for a way to get the levers angled down more but yeah, the clutch cable sheath and brake resevoir get in the way. I'll look at ways to offset the inner clamp mount.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
eolith I may have an extra set of clamps after I mount another one that I purchased that moves it out some more from the bars to clear my brake banjo bolt.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I have bins of stuff that I currently do not have a current use for. One day you will totally understand that statement. It is not that I don't want it, I would just as well someone else make good use of it. I ordered the long ones also, but they are too close to my MRA windscreen, so I found a completely different mounting kit with the proper length extension. I will let you know as soon as I ensure that they are no longer neeeded.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just realized I need a workbench to mount the clamp on... :p Once I get my car together, I'll be redoing my garage. But hey, Doug, if you don't want it, I'll take it
I did this on my desk :) (i live in a second floor apartment)

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Well I tried a couple of things and this is the best that I have come up with so far. I purchased some Moose handguard clamps with an elbow bend in them. I am now able to level them with each other and have clearance to the banjo bolt (minimal) and not have my clutch cable bound up. I may still use a longer bolt and a 1/4" aluminum spacer to give myself more clearance to the banjo bolt but it still clears which the stock setup did not do.

Auto part Vehicle Fuel line Engine Brake
Auto part Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Engine Brake

Amazon.com: Moose Racing Contour Inner Clamp Handguard Mount - 1-1/8" CR High/Black: Automotive

·
Registered
520 Posts
can you mount it nicely without using the bar end brackets?... and who makes that flyscreen and seat cowl? ... i dig your build brother... i have bar end mirrors and don't wanna crowd it up too much but i like looking at yours.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Well I tried a couple of things and this is the best that I have come up with so far. I purchased some Moose handguard clamps with an elbow bend in them. I am now able to level them with each other and have clearance to the banjo bolt (minimal) and not have my clutch cable bound up. I may still use a longer bolt and a 1/4" aluminum spacer to give myself more clearance to the banjo bolt but it still clears which the stock setup did not do.
I picked these Moose Racing clamps. Did the trick to allow more downwards tilt of the levers.

I did have to re-tap one of the M8 holes as it wasn't great, and had to open up the clamp bore so it would fit around the bar where I wanted it to go.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
can you mount it nicely without using the bar end brackets?... and who makes that flyscreen and seat cowl? ... i dig your build brother... i have bar end mirrors and don't wanna crowd it up too much but i like looking at yours.
I don't understand what you are saying. The handguards are made to wrap around the bar ends. They were invented to deflect trees while riding or racing dirt bikes in the woods. I saw them on the Hypermotard Ducati and knew they were just what this bike needed. I had a pair on my WR250R dual sport since 2007.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Supermoto Enduro

·
Registered
128 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts

I ordered them without the plastic because I picked up the plastic part at my Yamaha dealer on the showroom parts floor. I got the black Zeta's with the led turn signals built in. Just trying to get the other parts sorted and ordered. Thanks. I will be getting the Moose mounts for them.

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Excellent job!! :)

Little question, it will be hard to install the same handguards but with led light integrate?
I want buy it, but I'm not sure because I'm not realy know how install led... with original light.
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts