Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scrubbed in my new tires good last night/today, I rode all around suburban twisties last night slow slow (in B mode) and then today went up to red rock.

Some quick background. This is a 14 mile one way loop that goes deep into the red rock valley. It's just one of the most amazing roads I've ever ridden, and I've been riding this road for over 20 years. There's a lot of sport bike riders that use this as a race track, but I've always just been more interested in learning the 'perfect lines' for the road, and not the maximum speed I can ride it. It has a number of really deceptive turns that are waay worse then they look, and a number of turns that are waay milder then they appear. When you pair this with steep drop-offs, if you crash on this road, you're gonna have a BAD time.

I've crashed on this road, fifteen years ago (jesus, it's been fifteen years!) following someone who was waay better then I was, and had way better tires.

Anyway, I've always wanted to get a good video of the road itself, as It's just a dream, but never had the 'right' device to capture the ride. Well, the latest generation GoPro, is the right tool. Finally!

Enjoy the video, everything looks much faster then it really is, (which is an interesting development, I didn't expect that)

·
Registered
584 Posts
where is it?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Nice video. I used to go hiking all the time at Red Rock when I lived out there...cool place.

thanks for posting

·
Registered
852 Posts
You're killin me Smalls!!! I almost played hooky yesterday because it was so warm out. I was dreaming of riding the loop. Keep this crap up and I might cave to the pressure and go up there this afternoon.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Awesome scenery.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
ridden that road before it is a lot of fun. When we visit my mom in Vegas we like to go out there and take the mini Cooper or the bike Jim

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
When it's snowing outside with 40mph gusts and -25 windchill, it sure is nice to kick back in front of the fireplace and take a ride with a video like this. Sure helps fill the gap during the off season. Many kudos to you for sharing and you can post more anytime.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, we gotta get it while it's good because come june, it's evil hot until oct. So while y'all are enjoying we're hiding and/or hating. I still ride, but I bitch a LOT

Rode the north shore lake mead road 'round about sunset today, I'll post video of it by and by.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I shot it at 4k, so set resolution at whatever your screen is best at, (for most that'll be 1080p) 'cause it's HUGE.

Note, this doesn't go all the way to Overton, I turned around 'midway' so I could capture the setting sun, Lemme know what ya think.
Unfortunately, the auto white balance made it lose most of the awesome color it had, which is a bummer, it was soo far into red at the end it's insane.

Aside: I'm actually doing this for myself, so when the day comes that I cannot ride any longer, (and I expect one day in the far, far future this to occur) I can still 'remember' what it was like to ride. I'm not really doing this for anyone else, but if y'all like it, that's a bonus.

jza

·
Registered
429 Posts

I shot it at 4k, so set resolution at whatever your screen is best at, (for most that'll be 1080p) 'cause it's HUGE.

Note, this doesn't go all the way to Overton, I turned around 'midway' so I could capture the setting sun, Lemme know what ya think.
Unfortunately, the auto white balance made it lose most of the awesome color it had, which is a bummer, it was soo far into red at the end it's insane.

Aside: I'm actually doing this for myself, so when the day comes that I cannot ride any longer, (and I expect one day in the far, far future this to occur) I can still 'remember' what it was like to ride. I'm not really doing this for anyone else, but if y'all like it, that's a bonus.

jza
I've found that 720/30fps works well for sharing videos online. 1080 if you wanna get crazy, but 4k is just pointless unless you have a display that is worthy. Frame rates higher than 30fps tend to give it that 'soap opera' feel which is OK if that is what you are going for. 60fps or greater can be good if you ever want to do a slow mo section.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I've found that 720/30fps works well for sharing videos online. 1080 if you wanna get crazy, but 4k is just pointless unless you have a display that is worthy. Frame rates higher than 30fps tend to give it that 'soap opera' feel which is OK if that is what you are going for. 60fps or greater can be good if you ever want to do a slow mo section.

Any and all suggestions welcome, I'm totally n00b to video, although I've been shooting photographs and hand held video for over a decade, this is the first dedicated video device I've owned.

Well, actually the second as the first died in proxy for me on that first video I posted where I met the obstacle. ;O

I do have a 4k screen, but haven't figured out how to make vlc play 4k video on it, not sure if it's codec issues or video card driver issues, or other limitations such as I/O yet.
I went down to 24 fps today, and will likely lower the resolution to 1440 next batch, but that depends. My machines that are 1080p max resolution all play the 4k data fine, but obviously down-scaled for the display. My main purpose as I said, is to get these videos on my media server, so they get served up to my television along with everything else. (I haven't watched 'live' television in five years now)

I suppose I'll end up encoding lower res versions to upload, it really depends on whether youtube counts towards my data cap with google or not.

Epic bug splat at 40:37. Nice ride, man!
Yeah! I saw that bug on the camera after I got home, I was hoping it was 'when' it was, I was gonna be bummed if it'd happened when I passed over the las vegas wash heading out, the whole video woulda had that bugs guts (it was a gnat btw, looks a bit like a mosquito, but smaller and doesn't bite) obscuring the camera. It happened at the best time it could have in the video. (there's another half hour that I didn't upload yet before what I posted)

·
Registered
833 Posts
yeah, we gotta get it while it's good because come june, it's evil hot until oct. So while y'all are enjoying we're hiding and/or hating. I still ride, but I bitch a LOT

Rode the north shore lake mead road 'round about sunset today, I'll post video of it by and by.
Sweet loop. that "one way" action is nice! Makes passing so much easier I would imagine. Love it! We have awesome canyons and twisties here in Colorado but you never know what is coming in the other direction around the next blind corner. But right know I am just living thru these vids. Soild Ice and snow through me neighborhood. Cant even attempt to get out on a clear road….GoBroncos!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts