Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the bike has been out long enough now that folks have had time spend some money making it their own, just curious what everyone has been the happiest with so far. Your list can be completely performance enhancements, or completely cosmetic changes, or any combination of both.

I'll get the ball rolling...

1. Removing the CA Evap Canister
    Few things in this world are as aggrivating, and at times embarrassing, as an unreliable motorcycle that doesn't want to start. Always wondering as you walk up to it... "is it going to start for me"? Especially when you're dealing with a brand new motorcycle. Bike starts every time now... and it was free
  2. Stoltec ECU Re-flash
    This was originally my number one choice, but later decided to put it second because it wasn't free, and if the bike doesn't start, you wont be enjoying the flashed ECU. I already had a great time riding this bike (most fun in my motorcycling career), but the reflash made it even more enjoyable. The bike is smoother and more predicable... inspiring confidence, making for a more relaxed riding experience overall. I understand the importance of being smooth on the throttle, but if it's taking all of your focus to be smooth on the throttle, than you're losing mental bandwidth that could be focusing on traffic, road conditions, corner entry speed, proper body positioning, the right line, etc.. etc... The bike is still a beast, but now it feels like a tameable one.
  3. Coating the Stock Exhaust Black
    This was purely cosmetic, but I couldn't come to terms with the stock exhaust's "bladder," "udder," or whatever name you want to give it. For just $80 bucks, it made a HUGE improvement in the looks of the bike, IMHO.
  4. CRG Arrow Bar End Mirrors
    I have never had bar end mirrors on any bike I've owned, or borrowed, so this was initially a purely cosmetic change. I'm now wondering why I didn't try it sooner. A nice, clear, and unimpeded wide angle view of behind you. AND it's more attractive than the stock mirrors. It's pure win. One thing i learned in my research of bar end mirrors is that they are definitely a "buy nice, or buy twice" item. You tend to get what you pay for with these things.
  5. Flash2Pass Transmitter
    This could also be filed in the "why didn't I do this sooner" category. What a joy it is to get home and be able to open my garage door by just flashing my high beam twice instead of fumbling around trying to find the transmitter in my pocket... let alone mange to poke the right button with gloves on.

OK, that's my top 5 so far... as of right this second... but I reserve the right to edit this post in the future :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
1. Fender Eliminator
Because the Oem fender is hideous and has to go. I got the R&G...but just about anything or a self hack job looks equally improved.

2. Stoltec ECU Flash
What he said above, this is really a must to make std and a mode useable

3. Wind Screen
I got the ermax 25cm...this made a much bigger difference in ride experience than I expected. Highway speeds are now very enjoyable.

4. Exhaust
I got the arrow full system...oh wow, pure decadent motorcycle engine sound. This one costs a little money, but the triple just sings!

5. Proton Flush Blinkers
The stock blinkers are just too big for my liking. The protons are nice and minimal, good quality, and disappear when they are off

·
Registered
233 Posts
1- Stoltech ECU flash
2- Rear running lights & supplemental brake light with modulator
3- Suspension- Penske rear shock; stiffer fork springs (both from Stoltech of course), 7.5 wt fork oil
4- Shortened stock tail by cutting ~2" off the bracket
5- Rizoma handlebar

·
Registered
179 Posts
New helmet for wife
New helmet for son
New helmet for me
New riding jacket
New riding gloves...

Geesh, already spent a ton of cash and havent even got to the bike yet.....LOL

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
612 Posts
Fender eliminator
LED blinkers
Shorty billet levers
Stiffer fork springs
Sliders

·
Registered
72 Posts
Stoltec ecu reflash
Scotoiler
Mad Hornet levers
Graves Motorsports fender eliminator
Clear Tankslapper

·
Registered
207 Posts
In no particular order;
1- shorty levers
2- yamaha screen
3- front fender extender (awesome at keeping the bike cleaner)
4- ceramic coated exhaust
5- upgraded tires

·
Registered
225 Posts
Here are my favorites- IN ORDER

1. G.P. Suspension fork cartridges from Stoltec Moto
2. Penske rear shock from Stoltec Moto
3. ECU reflash from Stoltec Moto
4. fly screen 25cm Ermax
5. Fender Eliminator from Graves

I also need to mention the Woodcraft sliders and TecSpec protecton from Stoltec Moto. Not sexy but necessary. Very nice items to boot.

I have some friends and family that think I am crazy for already changing the suspension.
One is a diehard Ninja guy and one is a Tiger guy.....I cant wait for them to try this beast out!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I've already changed the suspension and the bike has 0km on it! haha... Even the "bounce test" was more than enough to know I shouldn't waste my time riding it stock. My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts (for lots of reasons).

1) Fork valving and springs from Stoltec Moto
2) Penske 8983 from Stoltec Moto
3) TechSpec snakeskin tank grip from Stoltec Moto (sensing a theme? haha)
4) Woodcraft frame sliders from Stoltec Moto
5) Free horn relocation mod, idea from, you guessed it, Stoltec Moto ;)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Doozerdave, did you see what Nick said about the Bridgestones afer riding on the track? http://www.fz09.org/forum/10-fz-09-...ject-bike-gonna-long-thread-12.html#post31773

I have them too, will wear them out before going to a different sport tire.

I just did one 26 mile ride before winter set in, am currently doing a lot of mods, Stoltec 25mm cartridges, 2 clicker Penske, GPR, flash, Buell clubmans etc.

In a way I don't really know the stock 09, I'll be starting the 2014 riding year with a 09R. ;)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'll be on an 09R then too. haha...

Yes, I saw what Nick said about the tires. I have a few friends who have run S20's at the track (and on the street) and really like them also. Way back I ran BT010's on the street and track and they were great, so I'm expecting the S20's to be even better. I've even heard of some endurance racing teams in our regional series (SOAR) running S20's. :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
272 Posts
For me it was rear fender (free ) shorty levers , seat, wind screen 25mm , hand guards, now that the ergos are great for me and I have the suspension working pretty good for me its about time to move on to another new bike like a plated ktm 500 ? Glad I have the best wife that loves motorcycles. RR:cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi LD,
loved the input, would like to know a: where the arrow mirrors were purchased, b: what did u use to coat the 'udder', and how does one get a 'flashtopass' thing going,
thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi LD,
loved the input, would like to know a: where the arrow mirrors were purchased, b: what did u use to coat the 'udder', and how does one get a 'flashtopass' thing going,
thanks,
Dave
a) The CRG Arrow mirrors can be purchased on the interwebs, I think I found the lowest price from Powersport Superstore via Amazon.com

b) I took the exhaust to a local shop that does ceramic coating (high heat). More info Here, Here, and Here.

c) More info about the Flash2Pass garage door opener. Cheapest I found the kit (1 base/receiver & 1 transmitter) was on eBay.

Super easy to install the base (only two wires to disconnect from the old indoor button and reconnect to the new Flash2Pass button, but I also didn't have a fancy garage door button that controls the light, etc). Your old garage door remotes all still work as well.

There's not a whole lot of space behind the FZ's headlight to fit the little transmitter box, so I ended up running the wires to the left side fake air scoop thingie and it tucked it right into the area right behind the metal mesh... you can kind-of see it in this pic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi LD,

Thanks for the info, and one quick question. the Evap Canister causing hard starts? This has happened 3 or 4 times in the 3 months I've had the bike, didn't know it was the issue. How did you do this and is there a thread already on this here?
Thanks

G

·
Registered
272 Posts
I havn't had this problem yet but most of my riding has been in mild weather why would you want to do something to void your warranty when yamaha will fix it, a bike that won't start should be the factorys problem this is one reason I like buying new bikes, RR:cool:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I guess you have more faith in the intelligence and general ability of dealership techs than I do.

I would rather be riding my bike than letting it languish at the dealership as they repeatedly tell me nothing is wrong with my bike (which is what other owners have been told).

I just read the warranty and I don't see how/where removing this will void it. The closest statement I came across was: "f) Modification to original parts" and technically, I didn't modify the canister, I just removed it. I still have it, so if push comes to shove I can always put it back on.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts