Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking forward to the KTM390. It'll partner with my FZ-09. :cool:

Reactions: FZjohn

·
Registered
263 Posts
KTM Super Duke here. Would have bought it now but was trying to save some money to pay off other bills. As soon as I get some debt eliminated and build up a little nest egg I'm super duke bound. :cool:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Likely won't allow myself to own more than one bike - but down the road i seem myself trading in the FZ for a cafe - Guzzi V7 or Triumph Thruxton

·
Registered
957 Posts
The FZ, to me, feels like it straddles a middle point between two different types of riding that, if funds allowed for, would each be filled by more purpose built machines. I would want a sportbike along the lines of Honda's VFR800 Interceptor (more street focused than track focused but still 100% track capable), and an urban hooligan machine along the lines of the KTM Duke 690 (or possibly even 390). For me, the FZ is a compromise between the two that stems from the fact that funds don't currently allow for multiple bikes. If that situation ever changed, though, I would probably get rid of it for something along these lines.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i really like the looks of the VFR but reviews i've read keep calling the bike underpowered given the price? - for what they go for new - i'd likely pick a kawi ninja 1000 but maybe used in a few years - i'd consider something like that too.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I've had dirt bikes, enduros, 4 wheelers, a drag bike, and lots of street bikes....super sport...sport touring, etc, but I've never owned a bike that is more fun on the street than the FZ09.

·
Registered
957 Posts
i really like the looks of the VFR but reviews i've read keep calling the bike underpowered given the price? - for what they go for new - i'd likely pick a kawi ninja 1000 but maybe used in a few years - i'd consider something like that too.
Generally speaking, Honda does fetch a premium over the other Japanese brands. Their reputation for quality and attention to detail makes them feel as though they can charge a fair bit more, and whether or not that's true depends on your opinion on the matter. If you're talking dollars per horsepower, yes, the VFR has always been underpowered since the 90s. But the bike has an appeal as a "do-it-all" sportbike that few others can match, and having less power CAN be a good thing. Also, the design of the V-4 engine has its own benefits.

I would say that, assuming the current VFR is true to the lineage of the name, it's worth every penny despite being underpowered compared to liter-powered bikes in the same class. And anyone who says otherwise just doesn't know what the VFR is all about =P

·
Registered
833 Posts
After the FZ-09 is paid off, might trade both my rides for a Diavel. Need to test ride one though and make sure the wife would be comfortable enough.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FZ is probably going to be in the garage for a while. If I do get a new bike though, it won't be red.

;)
Understandable.

Having such a Sexy Bike that's also Faster than the Speed of Light can be overwhelming. :eagerness:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've seen them used from $12-14k on Cycle Trader.
I'm hoping to build up a stable, but based off my history it's not looking to promising Lol.

Just turned 22 and this motorcycle thing has been getting the best of me.

By the time I'd be looking at a diavel they will either be cheaper, or maybe something else would spark my interest.

Who knows... I still miss my R6 so maybe I'd get one of those instead!

·
Registered
187 Posts
next purchase will be another gen2 R6 for the track, then hopefully a wr250, then hopefully bmw f800gs adventure

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
A KTM SMT if it gets the Adventure's goodies and if finances permit. Or the Adventure itself. Or a KLR 650 for world-touring duties.
A KTM Duke 390/ 690- both seem also pretty good contenders but while I have the FZ, everything else will have to wait.

·
Registered
518 Posts
im looking at a small super moto, a grom, either of the ktm 390s, or something small and used. The first ones would be dual purpose/teach my girl to ride/toy for me to play with. Small and used would be mainly to teach her.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts