Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for all the advice and guidance with my multiple posts for this bike, especially wheelies!!! :) What is troubling is the lack of empathy and consideration of how a rider might think they just wasted $8000.00 on a bike that may not perform like they read about or watched videos on. My 2cents for any that are researching performance and wheelies are this. This bike is freaking fast, quick, and brutal with the throttle "AWSOME". With me on it weighing only 145lbs 1st gear wheelies/popups are brutal but definitely there if you goose it. 2nd gear wheelies are much more difficult, and when I have tried them I get a couple inches and more speed than what I want. You can watch all the how to do wheelies you want, but I feel we are kind of on our own here. Power wheelies, clutch wheelies, I'm certainly not trying to hurt myself or my bike. some of us inexperienced sport bike riders need to know more than just "DON"T DO IT" Lack of knowledge carried on and shared can lead to more disaster. I know darn well I'm not the only person that bought %50 stock in this. Use the utmost caution and judgment where you try to perform these. Listen to the more experienced riders, and watch out for the "You"ll Shoot Your Eye Out Kid"

·
Registered
518 Posts
one of the "givens" for a second gear power wheelie is that you WILL be going fast. In order to get enough power to get the tire off the ground you are literally accellerating fast enough to pull it off the ground...then to keep it up, unless you are up to the balance point, you will basically be still accelerating. Yes, you can get the front up by popping the clutch, but I think the point that a lot of people are trying to make is let it come on its own. Spend time practicing panic stops, obstacle avoidance, etc.
I came from a tuned and geared R1, and it did not pop wheelies out of most turns the way this bike does. I don't TRY to get it to pop them, I just lean into my turns, hit the apex, and roll out...and up comes the front.
I will be honest, I tend to like to keep my front wheel down for the most part, if only to keep the cops from noticing me. But if you really want to learn, invest in a track day or school. There are plenty of people there in real time who can teach you...and luckily it is in a controlled environment. In fact, I went to a weeklong school and we spent an entire morning running up and down a straight almost at the rev limiter and then an afternoon learning to powerwheelie and ride it...again. not my cup of tea, but the best way to learn.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm Sorry If you want to do wheelies more power too you. But I don't know what you are talking about when you say second gear power wheelies are difficult. I ride the bike in "Girl" mode (B) and even in that mode the bike will power wheelie higher than you want it to go. My only 2 ideas about what you might be doing are as follows.

1a) Its how fast you apply the throttle not how much. I can be in 2nd at 2-3k rpm and roll on 100% throttle quickly but very smoothly and the bike will just get light on the front end and accelerate like mad.
1b) I can be in 2nd gear at 3k rpm and nail the throttle but only 30 - 50% of full throttle and the front tire climbs like an express elevator.

2) Its an upright bike, maybe you are subconsciously placing your weight over the front bars in anticipation of your wheelie attempt.

Last thing I will say is make damn sure you have your foot ready to apply rear brake because when you get it right its going to surprise you and that brake might be the difference between coming off the back off the bike and breaking your as* and your bike or (the better of 2 evils) applying the rear brake too much due to surprise and come crashing back down on the front forks which will smash your balls into the front of the seat where it meets the gas tank. I will hurt like hell but you MIGHT have a chance of saving your bike from a costly repair.

·
Registered
555 Posts
2nd gear wheelies are bloody easy. If you cant get the front up, your either starting to lift the front at too low of an rpm or your not giving it enough throttle. This bike will lift the front in 3rd with a quick off and on throttle in "A" mode. First 3 gears, wheelies are possible and a breeze.........3rd requires a bit more effort and skill but is possible. Do not attempt wheelies in 1st if you are still unsure of the bike, best way to get out of control or have a seriously bad landing causing frontal damage especially your forks.

Like I said before, give this a go.

2nd gear. 6000rpm. Maintain a steady speed at those rpm's. Now give it shit, and it will come straight up. Start with a small throttle increase, and rinse and repeat going a larger throttle opening each time. It will come up a lot faster than what you think too so be wary of that, again I take no responsibility. I think from what you have posted about 2nd gear wheelies and more speed than you would like, you are giving it throttle at way too low of an rpm for it to come up. It can be done at a low speed in 2nd, but you need to either rock the suspension by a quick off and then on throttle or clutch it........neither of those I recommend to newer riders.

Mind you, this bike will hit near 100km/hr in first gear. When I land my 2nd gear wheelies at near redline, I am going quite a bit faster than that. Only on a closed track of course, because doing that on the street is illegal, and I dont condone illegal activity nor perform it. :cool:

Mind you if anyone has spent near 8 grand just to pop wheelies..........I question the decision making process.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Your not going to learn to ride on the internet, get out there and ride, find someone that has a lot of experience and ride with them, do a track day, etc.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
... some of us inexperienced sport bike riders need to know more than just "DON"T DO IT" Lack of knowledge carried on and shared can lead to more disaster....
A lot of people here learned how to ride at least 20 years ago, and probably on dirt bikes. Myself I learned to wheelie when I was 13 years old (25 years ago, Jesus...) on a 125 dirt bike. You talk about "wasted $8000", best way to waste it is to try to learn to wheelie on it... sorry, but that's the truth. Learn on a dirt bike or a stunt bike. Wheelies are all about feel. My friends wonder how I can wheelie my bike, their bike, whatever bike, so easily... feel and experience. You need to learn the feel of each bike you get on, but with experience, learning that feel becomes pretty easy.

Honestly, I'd recommend a dirt bike or stunt bike. See if you can find a stunt riding school or a dirt riding school and have at it. Don't risk your new FZ please :(

·
Registered
570 Posts
A lot of people here learned how to ride at least 20 years ago, and probably on dirt bikes. Myself I learned to wheelie when I was 13 years old (25 years ago, Jesus...) on a 125 dirt bike. You talk about "wasted $8000", best way to waste it is to try to learn to wheelie on it... sorry, but that's the truth. Learn on a dirt bike or a stunt bike. Wheelies are all about feel. My friends wonder how I can wheelie my bike, their bike, whatever bike, so easily... feel and experience. You need to learn the feel of each bike you get on, but with experience, learning that feel becomes pretty easy.

Honestly, I'd recommend a dirt bike or stunt bike. See if you can find a stunt riding school or a dirt riding school and have at it. Don't risk your new FZ please :(
+1, very sound advice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for the advice and wisdom. I assure you that I'm not green on a bike. I could go all day of how I have had a dirt bike since I was 13 and switched to street when I turned 18I just turned 34 year old and this was a present from my wife. I almost bought a Harley because I come from cruiser style street bikes. I did not buy this bike just to wheelie. People don't buy Harleys for their speed or turning ability, they buy them because they are Harley's, look cool, and sound cool. I bought this bike because I loved the way she looked, the incredible power that she has, and then yes, the ability to perform wheelies. I have been trying to stay within the bounds of manufacture break in rules, and that has probably been a big one on the undesirable wheelie attempts.

I can define my way as to in 1st I will get to about 3000 rpm and gun the throttle, the bike comes up so hard and brutal, I simply let off and come crashing down sometimes hurting my man parts LOL, not to mention its got to be hard on the front suspension. 2nd I have tried the same 3000 rpm or so and the 09 want's to take off like a gunshot more than to wheelie lol. Your right... I'm most likely not flicking the throttle as fast as I should and doing it at too low an rpm. I will give the 5-6k rpm a try to see if she brings it off the ground easier. I'm really just enthusiastic about bringing the front tire off the ground..... It does not matter how far,,,,, and I am definitely not trying to keep it up and balancing!!!! no no no... I should have been more specific on my desires :rolleyes: I just like bringing the front off the ground for a second or two... not trying to hold it as long as I can... hell no... That part I totally agree on. To hold a wheelie would take a lot of knowing the bike and how to balance. Popping the front off the ground a few inches or a little more is all I want! The rest will come with practice, and yes maybe I will put up the time to find a track to really learn how. Great advice and thank you again.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Wheelies on this bike are easy, they are easy to predict, and easy to land...its all about throttle control. If you have throttle control, power wheelies aren't difficult or surprising, that comes with skill and practice. I'm a relatively(to most on this forum) new rider and i can get wheelies on command in 1st and 2nd gear and land them smoothly after only a few seconds in the air because i never goose the throttle i just give it a little more until it comes up. I weigh 190 and find it all very enjoyable and easy and surprisingly safe. The joy of this bike is that it takes a lot of learning because you have all the power necessary to accomplish any amount of wheel lofting you desire, the challenge and beauty comes when you can do it when you want for how long you want with just the right amount of throttle input. It takes no forum posts to learn how if you avoid goosing.

Reactions: doozerdave

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can define my way as to in 1st I will get to about 3000 rpm and gun the throttle, the bike comes up so hard and brutal, I simply let off and come crashing down sometimes hurting my man parts LOL, not to mention its got to be hard on the front suspension.
Instead of letting off the throttle, this causes a lot of engine braking..... keep your foot on the rear brake and apply it VERY gently.
LRoss78550

·
Registered
34 Posts
I feel like if you don't have the natural inclination/instinct on how to do the wheelie, then perhaps wheelies aren't for you just yet. I think that giving a technical explanation of how to do a wheelie doesn't help when something goes awry - if you have a good feel for your bike and doing wheelie's, you're going to be able to react much more naturally and fluidly than if you have only a technical understanding of wheelies.

Of course, this coming from someone (myself) who has never had a street bike capable of doing a wheelie... and who has no inclination to do so just yet. So, grain of salt, all that :)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I was just out hooning... 2nd and 3rd gear power wheelies are cake. 6k rpm, flick the throttle and apply some upwards force to the bars and slide back and you're up and cruising. I just need to remember to keep my foot over that rear brake. It's frickin awkward though... Need to practice that. Foot doesn't seem to work at that angle.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
...this coming from someone (myself) who has never had a street bike capable of doing a wheelie...
No such thing! LOL...

Don't be trying to crack the throttle to wheelie, in any gear, especially 1st. To get the feel for the power just roll the throttle on. As you get used to the power you'll start rolling the throttle on faster, and at some point the roll-on will start bringing up the front. Get used to this feel before you start with whacking the throttle or it'll end in tears.

·
Registered
248 Posts
.....Don't be trying to crack the throttle to wheelie, in any gear, especially 1st. To get the feel for the power just roll the throttle on. As you get used to the power you'll start rolling the throttle on faster, and at some point the roll-on will start bringing up the front. Get used to this feel before you start with whacking the throttle or it'll end in tears.
Good advice!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Ahhh that thread is exactly what I'm looking for! And yes, it's very uncomfortable. I don't get why they made it that way...

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had to adjust mine WAY down from the stock position. It was so high that with my foot on the peg, turning my foot to get over the pedal it hit the side of my boot, nearly at the top, as in my foot almost went under it! haha...
Mine was the same! I still have silver aluminum on the toe of my boot from it touching the pedal.
I adjusted it down maybe 2 inches, but like Doug did, I forgot to adjust the lbrake light sensor when I adjusted the lever. It stayed on for a few days till one of my buddies following me noticed it.
Boy, that could have been bad rear end in traffic.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts