Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in the yoshimura exhaust for my 09 and i was wondering how it stacks up compared to the others on the market.
I have only seen clips of this system on youtube at idle with brief throttle revs and was hoping someone could post a drive by with and without db killer.
I have always liked yoshimura quality and its a toss up between this and the Ackropovic.Any pics and opinions are appreciated,thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
Not trying bust your bubble...but to me, there is probably not much to compare between Yosh and Akrapovic in terms of quality and performance.....but you need to buy whatever works for you. Just my $.02

·
Registered
833 Posts
Not trying bust your bubble...but to me, there is probably not much to compare between Yosh and Akrapovic in terms of quality and performance.....but you need to buy whatever works for you. Just my $.02
He is right.....The Yosh does out perform the Akra. And looks better doing it. :cool:

Reactions: dantheman

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
It out performs the AKRA CARBON? Really? I know the AKRA TI is weak sauce, but I thought the AKRA CARBON was the best performing full system yet...?

Also, the Akra carbon is $709... That is a good selling point.

·
Registered
833 Posts
From what I have seen most of the full systems are within a few hp. Every dyno is different, conditions vary, etc. How do we really know?

·
Registered
833 Posts
I would be interested in a y slip on. Why don't they make one for the fz09?
Because the OEM exhaust is one piece. It needs to be chopped to fit an aftermarket can.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
HP is useless without torque. Torque increase is useless if the delivery is not consistent. The FZ-09 suffers from a dip in the torque curve just above 4k rpm, I've seen it with every exhaust system out there for this bike, good exhaust design and proper tuning can correct that. In the chart below the red line is oem and blue is with Graves full exhaust and fuel mapping. The result is smooth power delivery at low rpm's allowing you to drive out of the corner quicker.

Compare the torque curves with other dyno charts and you can determine for yourself the 'best' exhaust system.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
But the Graves is fugly
Akrapovic would disagree with you, they liked the Graves so much that they had to copy it and make there own Carbon version and called it the 'Racing' line. 'Diamond' can design, carbon fiber with carbon fiber strap.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
But the Graves is fugly

Nicks Akra map has no dip...
The Akra is still top of the heap :cool:
He did a great job, but there still a small dip just after 5k rpms. Follow the curve, when it changes direction downward, thats a dip.

The Graves system as a whole weighs less, protrudes less, has better ground clearance, Auto-Tune port, stepped headers and race style merge collector. True racing tech. Akrapovic uses these same features in their R1 and GP exhaust systems, but they didn't bother putting them into the FZ09 Exhaust. Akra did a better job on the Triumph evo exhaust.

Advantage Graves.

example of a proper merge collector

But if style and brand is more important to the buyer, to each their own.

Reactions: Davinci

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Yosh got it right too

The merge collector design is critical for tuning as pressure waves travel back and forth between the exhaust tip and exhaust valves.

Every exhaust manufacturer knows this and uses it in their high-line systems, wether they choose to apply it to their consumer market is up to them. Welding the 'pyramid' inside a collector is time consuming which adds to the costs of the product. Keeping the price point low is probably why Akra decided not to implement it for the FZ-09.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I highly doubt that the difference is felt on the bike, just saying. And since every dyno, and every pull is different, dyno graphs are very subjective when looking at small variances that we are discussing here. That stock dyno you showed had a much larger dip than any stock pull I've ever seen for instance. Your Graves dyno has a dip before 5k and after 6k, and after 8k.. So?
My problem with both the Graves and Yoshimura is the huge exhaust can... The Graves can is so long and square looking, it looks like it doesnt belong, the Yoshimura is so large and bulky, it really takes over the bike as well. That's my opinion.
At $700 the Akra is a great value over a $1200 exhaust that does nothing that the rider will feel. We know we are splitting hairs here, really, aren't we? I liked the Graves when they were the only game in town, but the styling/price kills any minuscule performance gain over the competition IMHO.

According to the Akra dyno it's producing 4ft/lbs more than the Graves at 5k anyway...? If dyno graphs are the end all... I think Graves has work to do. But they aren't, are they...

·
Registered
833 Posts
Razzle--- I apologize for the Graves and Akra fan boys pissing all over your thread about the sound of a Yoshimura exhaust. I dont really have a way to get you a drive by clip at this time.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Razzle--- I apologize for the Graves and Akra fan boys pissing all over your thread about the sound of a Yoshimura exhaust. I dont really have a way to get you a drive by clip at this time.
Its ok,all the extra imformation and opinions are always good! Broncosrule..if you get a chance could you post some more pics of your exhaust? Closeups of the headers from both sides and the silencer would be great!!! Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts