Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Purveyor of Neat Toys
99 Posts
I'll let @vcyclenut go into more details, but I'd suggest you'd be better off with a flash, if you need anything at all.

Reactions: vcyclenut

·
Vendor
1,284 Posts
theres no difference no matter the year, you don't NEED a flash or PC but you will WANT a flash

A power commander only adjust fueling, to get the best results you need to adjust more then just fueling

comparing a PC to a flash is like comparing a bowl of lettuce to a fine salad. Lettuce is just one ingredient, its needed in a fine salad but it cant be a fine salad on its own

·
Registered
281 Posts
What is the difference with a 2017+

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This^^^^^

·
Vendor
1,284 Posts

This^^^^^
sorry, there is so much wrong on that post it should be deleted

1)However, the Yamaha engineers fixed those issues starting with the release of the 2017 models, MT/MT 07,09,10.
2) If your ECU serial # ends in -10 DO NOT REFLASH ECU when you add a FULL EXHAUST from some outfit using maps developed for the old pre-2017 firmware.
3)You will lose all your torque and HP.
4)
If you are so concerned about leaning conditions. Run it and check your plugs after 100 miles. If the electrode insulators or a light cocoa color. Don’t touch a thing.

all wrong, he got a bad flash from someone that obviously didnt know what they were doing and made some assumptions

as ive said probably 1000 times, no year fz09 has to be retuned, none of them are lean at full throttle even with an exhaust. They are lean at part throttle (all years) where we ride the most. So your not going to burn up valves riding it with no retune.

The stock fueling is different on the 17+ so if someone tried to apply dyno jet maps to the ftecu software (not the best way to tune anyway) developed on a pre 17 the fueling will be wrong. If somone like myself that makes the changes dirrectly in the fuel tables applies the same fuel tables to the 17 plus they work as they did on the pre 17.

The ftecu software still does not have ais delete on the 17 plus but the woolich software does.

ive proven on lots of 17+ fz09 there are gains to be had on a stock bike and a bike with a pipe with a good flash

you cant read spark plugs like that. They show the condition the bike was last running, likely idle if you let it idle at all before you shut it off. We used to use plugs to get an idea in a problem area before we had equipment to measure air fuel ration. You would ride the bike in the area of concern. Shut the bike off pull in the clutch, coast to a stop , pull the plug and read it. Not ride the bike normal and pull the plug. No bike is lean everywhere and no bike is rich everywhere it fluctuates greatly as rpm's and throttle position changes. reading plugs is only good for checking things like oil control when just pulled like he is talking about

I post these things to hopefully educate them as there is so much misinformation out there about tuning that gets repeated again and again until people assume its true, unless your like me and testing lots of bikes its impossible to know

·
Registered
281 Posts
sorry, there is so much wrong on that post it should be deleted

1)However, the Yamaha engineers fixed those issues starting with the release of the 2017 models, MT/MT 07,09,10.
2) If your ECU serial # ends in -10 DO NOT REFLASH ECU when you add a FULL EXHAUST from some outfit using maps developed for the old pre-2017 firmware.
3)You will lose all your torque and HP.
4)
If you are so concerned about leaning conditions. Run it and check your plugs after 100 miles. If the electrode insulators or a light cocoa color. Don’t touch a thing.

all wrong, he got a bad flash from someone that obviously didnt know what they were doing and made some assumptions

as ive said probably 1000 times, no year fz09 has to be retuned, none of them are lean at full throttle even with an exhaust. They are lean at part throttle (all years) where we ride the most. So your not going to burn up valves riding it with no retune.

The stock fueling is different on the 17+ so if someone tried to apply dyno jet maps to the ftecu software (not the best way to tune anyway) developed on a pre 17 the fueling will be wrong. If somone like myself that makes the changes dirrectly in the fuel tables applies the same fuel tables to the 17 plus they work as they did on the pre 17.

The ftecu software still does not have ais delete on the 17 plus but the woolich software does.

ive proven on lots of 17+ fz09 there are gains to be had on a stock bike and a bike with a pipe with a good flash

you cant read spark plugs like that. They show the condition the bike was last running, likely idle if you let it idle at all before you shut it off. We used to use plugs to get an idea in a problem area before we had equipment to measure air fuel ration. You would ride the bike in the area of concern. Shut the bike off pull in the clutch, coast to a stop , pull the plug and read it. Not ride the bike normal and pull the plug. No bike is lean everywhere and no bike is rich everywhere it fluctuates greatly as rpm's and throttle position changes. reading plugs is only good for checking things like oil control when just pulled like he is talking about

I post these things to hopefully educate them as there is so much misinformation out there about tuning that gets repeated again and again until people assume its true, unless your like me and testing lots of bikes its impossible to know
Thanks for clearing this up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts