Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a crime to call it "my" bike build. I literally picked up the bike from the dealer, got it home, and made some phone calls to some friends in the industry that have helped me with my other bikes and sponsored me when I was Club Racing. Basically my wallet is to thank, and by wallet I guess my PW (pretty wife).

I don't have the bike back yet but I'm picking it up next Saturday and will post some decent pics when she's home, but for now, here's what I have done and a few pics to show the work.

MOD's to date:

- GP Suspension Fork Piston Kit - my bike was the test mule for GP to design this kit that Stoltec now sells. Can't wait to try it out!
- JRi double clicker shock - it was a toss up between this and the Penske but price and the fact that GP wanted to support JRi for this build swung me their way.
- M4 Carbon slip-on - good for a 10lb weight reduction, some extra ponies, and a nice rumble!
- ECU Reflash and Dyno Tune courtesy of Nick at Stoltec and Nels at 2-Wheel Dynoworks. A little shout out to Nick because members really need to know what this guy has done for me. Nick and my tuner Nels both work with a company called Flashtune. Nick got the info needed to produce a harness which gives you the ability to reflash and modify but Chris, owner of Flashtune has been crazy busy getting race teams ready for the upcoming season that he hasn't been able to produce and ship out one for Nels. I contacted Nick, explained the situation, and he graciously offered to send Nels all of the info he needed to replicate the harness and start to work on building the reflash and dyno tune. I could have waited another 4-6 weeks for Chris to get it to Nels but thanks to nick, I don't have to - THANK YOU Stoltec!!!
- Woodcraft (via group buy here) frame sliders
- Generic delrin axle sliders

Upcoming MODS:

- Ermax 25 or 33mm flyscreen - haven't decided which one yet.
- Possibly clubman style lower bars - kinda waiting to see what Stoltec does on this as I know Nick mentioned in his build thread that it is a focus for him very soon.
-Tires - OEM Dunlops will be swapped out for my slightly used Dunlop Q3's which will allow me to not worry about swapping rubber when I do track days or street ride.
- GAS - lot's of ethanol free 94 octane for this baby....

Without further delay.... (M4 pic is not mine, just found it online but it shows the M4 nicely)

JRi pics....

GP sticker to prove it has boingy goodness inside!

Dyno graphs - three runs show stock, after M4 slip on installed, and then after reflash and dyno tune. These were all done on different days but under similar temps/pressures, and on the same dyno.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Damn that is a flat torque curve. So many people overlook the importance of that. "Oh the R6 has more hp, blah blah". For me, the 1st half of the torque curve is all that matters. Betcha can't wait to ride it!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn that is a flat torque curve. So many people overlook the importance of that. "Oh the R6 has more hp, blah blah". For me, the 1st half of the torque curve is all that matters. Betcha can't wait to ride it!
I couldn't agree more. It makes roughly the same peak output as an R6 with a slip on anyways, but has a 20ft lb advantage in torque output EARLY in the rpm range PLUS, it's 2lbs lighter!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Thanks for the report. I'm impressed how the power is up but the curve is still smooth. lol, but what is the blip on the red curve?

·
Registered
50 Posts
L, do you think that Stoltec would be able to make a generic flash for the m4? Or would it be possible to simply use your settings? I'm thinking about getting the m4 slip on and I wouldn't mind simply shipping my Ecuador to stoltec for the same flash you got.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the report. I'm impressed how the power is up but the curve is still smooth. lol, but what is the blip on the red curve?
I asked Nels abut that as it gives a false "peak" torque figure but he said it was just the pick-up on his machine that glitched or something.

788 - I think (but don't quote me on this) that Nels might provide Nick with this map but I'm not sure. Drop Nick a line and confirm that with him to be sure. The settings would be based on my bike I assume, so technically I can say you'll all be riding clones of my "Annie" (as in, I'm gonna beat her like a red-headed step child, Annie). :cool:

·
Registered
644 Posts
The really impressive thing is the increase in the torque curve over the whole range - Bottom to Top.
Looks like you needed both the M4 & re-flash to get that.

I doubt you will need to change the front tire, it will only be on the ground at stop lights.

Reactions: younglion

·
Registered
276 Posts
Totally agree. Mine is bone stock, but am watching this thead closely.
Side note:
I have been riding with a business partner for the last month that has an R6. Found out he is a great rider and he asked to swap bikes for the final leg back home. I felt ok on doing so. After 5 months on the 09, no way would I even consider the 6. He was so impressed with the usable street power of the 9 he trading his 6 in last week for a brand new 9. I love seeing people freak and come back starry eyed when they ride my bike!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally picked up Annie yesterday, she was ready to go and I was anxious to get her home even if the weather in these parts isn't ideal yet for spirited riding.

I brought her home in a torrential downpour last night - 6 degrees Celcius (40ish), and rain hammering me on my 45 minute ride home. Needless to say, riding impressions are limited as survival and not dropping my bike on the very first ride was all I could think about.

Today, took her outside, it was 14 degrees (57ish), dry, sunny, and what yesterday should have been dammit! :) Washed her up, installed the swingarm spools, and took her out for a 10 minute ride to make sure she was dry and to fill up the gas tank. After all the mods, here's what I now know:

- The M4 carbon can is LOUD, so when I got home I inserted the deci-damper that came with it. Hopefully this drops the sound a little.

- Suspension feels really nice so far. turn in is good, bump compliance is great, pitch is minimal now under decel, and I couldn't be happier at commuting pace.

- Throttle response STILL feels a little abrupt at low RPM, I've only ridden it in A mode as my tuner said there's no need for any other modes now unless I want the C mode for wet riding or whatever. What is great though is the added fuel on decel, and the speed in which the motor gathers steam. I upshifted in 2nd gear, fed on the throttle and pulled off a 1/4 mile wheelie that was of ZERO issue to the bike, it felt like she was bored! LOL...

- I'm surprised at how comfortable it is without any kind of wind protection at 110-115kph (65-70mph) as I was expecting to be pushed around quite a bit. I'm still going to order the Ermax 25cm screen but overall I'm happy even if no more wind protection is to be had.

- Ergo's - man this bike is compact up top but plenty of leg room and a very neutral riding position. Jury is out on the seat for now but initial impressions say it'll be tolerable for the little time I'll spend with my ass squarely planted in the middle of it.

- Power - as mentioned - spins up super quickly, there's no need for higher RPM's, and it goes NOW, not like my track bike 600cc bikes that have a 4000rpm range and you're screwed if you get caught below that area. My tuner says it'll make a little less now that I've put the exhaust plug back in but I could care less, it has so much on tap that I am okay with losing a couple ponies.

- Brakes - totally fine and more than adequate for a street bike, rear is spongy but I prefer it that way as it's only used for balancing at stop lights and the fronts are plenty strong and progressive.

Next up, install the Woodcraft frame sliders and then order up that Ermax. If the taxman is good to me, I'm thinking heated grips and I'm done!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Waiting awhile for clubmans?
Likely... I kinda like the riding position and I'm not a pioneer like Stoltec, I prefer to wait and see what multiple reliable sources consider to be a great alternative to the stockers. So far there has been no clear consensus on a set of bars that lowers the riders weight a little, doesn't require a new set of lines, and is pretty much a straight swap. Once that comes along, I'll likely be temped to swap out the OEM bars.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
You are picky. ;) I should have a set of Buell clubmans like Stoltec has this week, but doing other stuff on the bike, probably will be April before I have a ride report for them. On another 09 forum there is an Australian that is happy with the same bars.

The way you describe it maybe the Buells are a bigger change than you want, hard to tell. I want to lean into the wind and have my weight forward to keep the power wheelies down.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are picky. ;) I should have a set of Buell clubmans like Stoltec has this week, but doing other stuff on the bike, probably will be April before I have a ride report for them. On another 09 forum there is an Australian that is happy with the same bars.

The way you describe it maybe the Buells are a bigger change than you want, hard to tell. I want to lean into the wind and have my weight forward to keep the power wheelies down.
Yes, I am picky. I'm a plug and play kinda guy - I want no muss, no fuss parts that are proven to work and fit what I want if I'm making a change.

The Buell bars are something like 6"-7" lower than OEM - way too low for what I'd want - maybe only for a track day upgrade to help keep some weight over the front tire but in the real world, I think they'd be too drastic a change.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Yes, I am picky. I'm a plug and play kinda guy - I want no muss, no fuss parts that are proven to work and fit what I want if I'm making a change.

The Buell bars are something like 6"-7" lower than OEM - way too low for what I'd want - maybe only for a track day upgrade to help keep some weight over the front tire but in the real world, I think they'd be too drastic a change.
Have you take a look at my Pro Tapper "Carmichael" bars? Other than trimming the nipples on the control the bars don't are direct swap. They're about 1 1/2" lower and have just enough clearance to clear the fuel tank 3/8" or so lock to lock. Riding position is perfect to me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Up here in the PNW and having Nels flash my ECU tomorrow.
...and looking forward to shutting my buddy up about his R6. He thinks his bike is the greatest/fastest thing ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I finally picked up Annie yesterday, ... The M4 carbon can is LOUD, so when I got home I inserted the deci-damper that came with it. Hopefully this drops the sound a little.
YL, any chance you could post some audio/video of the M4 with the db killer installed? I've looked at a bunch of others, but presume by the lack of mention that they are all taken without it installed.

Also, I saw where you reported your dyno tuner said running the M4 without a tune resulted in "dangerously lean" A/F ratios. I'm guessing the tuning was done without the db killer? I'm also guessing you havn't looked at your plugs yet, but any obvious indication the tune may be a bit rich for the M4 with the silencer?

If Stoltec or someone does release a 'canned' tune for this system, I'll be on it!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
YL, any chance you could post some audio/video of the M4 with the db killer installed? I've looked at a bunch of others, but presume by the lack of mention that they are all taken without it installed.

Also, I saw where you reported your dyno tuner said running the M4 without a tune resulted in "dangerously lean" A/F ratios. I'm guessing the tuning was done without the db killer? I'm also guessing you havn't looked at your plugs yet, but any obvious indication the tune may be a bit rich for the M4 with the silencer?

If Stoltec or someone does release a 'canned' tune for this system, I'll be on it!
Tune was done without the DB killer installed and as of last week I've bit the bullet and removed it from the exhaust - neighbors be damned! LOL...

Stoltec now offers this tune for the M4 and will soon have the Arrow system tune file as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts