Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My second track day, ever! Stayed in the novice class, but next time will move up. This is at Sonoma Raceway (a.k.a. Sears Point), California. It's an afternoon session and I was lucky enough to catch up and learn a few things from the lead instructor (also named Eric) who was on his personal orange FZ-09 (around 4 minutes into the video). Only mod on my FZ-09 is the Penske 8900E rear shock. First track day was all stock. I installed the Penske shock the week before this and the bike did not ride well. I knew it needed some adjustment, but waited to have professionally done on track day. What a difference. Same with the stock suspension on my first track day. A pro can make even a crappy suspension work for you. I know, you don't know what you don't know, and I'm sure that's true. I hope to learn and get good enough that the suspension will start to be the limiting factor. :)

The bike is fantastic and only limited by the rider (me).

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Looks like fun. You seem to be doing well out there. So how long do you run (session duration) for on a typical track day?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
DTM74, the pattern of the several trackday clubs/organizations I've ridden with is:
3 groups of riders by skill level, each group is on the track for 20 minutes.
Riders on the track 9-5 except for an hour lunch.
So each group has 7 sessions.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Looks like you enjoyed. Something to try on your next visit, don't dump the throttle to off when slowing down, only close the throttle during shifts. Keep your revs to mid and higher range all the time even when entering a turn during your braking. This will give you greater power on apex exit and teach you better gear selection during your runs. Closing the throttle will shift the chassis weight back to front and on throttle front to rear; keeping some throttle open all the time will maintain a more neutral chassis and make you faster on the track. One of the secrets used my MotoGP racers who like to powerslide through turns :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DTM74, as v2Bob said the sessions are 20 minutes each. This particular track was a little different in that the A (advanced) and B (intermediate) groups were combined into one session and the third session was cars. You might have noticed in turn 7 there was evidence of a cleanup after one of the cars wrecked. I strongly recommend going to the track. It's not nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be. There's a wide range of experience out there and the instructors are a great help, at least in the case of Z2 Track Days.

Delnari, Thank you for the advice. I have four sessions recorded and I definitely noticed falling off the throttle. Like I said in the original post, I have plenty of room for improvement. :D

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
DTM74, as v2Bob said the sessions are 20 minutes each. This particular track was a little different in that the A (advanced) and B (intermediate) groups were combined into one session and the third session was cars. You might have noticed in turn 7 there was evidence of a cleanup after one of the cars wrecked. I strongly recommend going to the track. It's not nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be. There's a wide range of experience out there and the instructors are a great help, at least in the case of Z2 Track Days.

Delnari, Thank you for the advice. I have four sessions recorded and I definitely noticed falling off the throttle. Like I said in the original post, I have plenty of room for improvement. :D
Thanks...maybe I'll have to venture out there sometime and give it a go! I'm only 30 minutes from the track...

·
Registered
420 Posts
I see some bikes with rear view mirrors. I assume from that there is no requirement to remove them.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Pretty cool watching the instructors on the fz09's! I did three days with z2 this year and man can those guys make these bike go! I love Erics hot pink leathers too. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts