Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this has been posted already, sorry.

Took the Fizzy for service and there's a bulletin out on the YCCT reprogramming, they asked me if I wanted it done to which I said yes. It totally mellowed her out, I was in STD and had to take a second look, thought it was in B mode. Don't get me wrong, she flies, just at a smooth equal delivery if that makes any sense, no oh crap moments. It fully covered by Yamaha so there you go folks, get her done if you want.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Copied from a post in a related 'General Discussion' thread as it appears to belong here...

http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/4830-factory-flash-info-46.html#post131457

My 2014 FZ-09 received the updated Yamaha ECU flash on Thursday. No question, this is an incremental improvement over the stock setup. I wouldn’t go so far as to say it transforms the FZ-09, but it definitely takes the edge off some areas of throttle response. And it provides a nice feature that I didn’t expect, but probably should have expected.

A few examples…

A mode, at a stop light, in 1st gear, during rush hour traffic. The light turns green, and vehicles in front slowly accelerate. I’m following at about 10 mph, then 15 mph and the line of traffic in front decelerates unexpectedly. My speed drops to about 5 mph, and now the vehicles in front start moving a bit faster. With the original ECU map, I might have squeezed the clutch, certain that adding throttle at 5 mph would not give a smooth result. With the revised ECU, gently rolling on the throttle provides smooth acceleration. Too much throttle still gives a twitchy throttle response, but now I almost have to try to induce such a response.

Downhill, 50 mph, 4th gear. Closing the throttle results in strong engine braking, both with the original and revised ECU settings. Having started riding on large scooters, engine braking seems normal to me, not necessarily something to eliminate. With the revised ECU, slightly opening the throttle ‘turns off’ engine braking without much acceleration. I like choosing how the FZ-09 will respond in this and similar situations.

Standard or A mode, slowing at an intersection, green light, preparing for a right turn. The revised ECU provides much more confidence through the turn, reducing the temptation to squeeze the clutch because of uncertainty about throttle response exiting the turn. Over the last few days, I have practiced these turns with the clutch engaged in Standard and A modes. This wasn't an issue in B, but having no 'issues' regardless of mode is an improvement.

I don’t perceive anything is lost at higher RPMs between the two ECU settings; this part of the FZ-09’s performance seems unchanged. The only ‘downside’ after only a few rides after the ECU update is a perhaps not uncommon observation that differences between the three modes have diminished somewhat. Overall, I’m pleased with the results. This is an improvement, but I haven't ruled out an aftermarket flash at some point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Copied from a post in a related 'General Discussion' thread as it appears to belong here...

I don’t perceive anything is lost at higher RPMs between the two ECU settings; this part of the FZ-09’s performance seems unchanged. The only ‘downside’ after only a few rides after the ECU update is a perhaps not uncommon observation that differences between the three modes have diminished somewhat. Overall, I’m pleased with the results. This is an improvement, but I haven't ruled out an aftermarket flash at some point.
I've had the bike for about two weeks now and it seems as though all of a sudden, the throttle response in STD and A has almost a lag to it which is what i think you are describing. It feels as if it kicks in a little later and is not quite as wild as it used to be. Is there a way to switch this back or is it a perception issue as the body naturally adjusts to the torque of the bike?

I preferred the wild ride that it was, just being able to give it less gas. The bike used to go 0-60 in what felt like 2.5 seconds. Now it feels like it takes 2.5 + .5 seconds if you know what i mean by that. I would really appreciate a response from anybody.

Thank you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.