Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has any experience with this. Seems to be the best deal nearby, but I notice the manual says 3.2L is needed with a filter change. Does it at least get up to the low level indicator?

Other option is to just fill with a higher quality synthetic oil, but I have a tiny bit left on the 1600km break in period. Is it a myth to use conventional oil for the first few thousand kms? I filled my last bike with rotella, so I dont really have a brand preference.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Wondering if anyone has any experience with this. Seems to be the best deal nearby, but I notice the manual says 3.2L is needed with a filter change. Does it at least get up to the low level indicator?

Other option is to just fill with a higher quality synthetic oil, but I have a tiny bit left on the 1600km break in period. Is it a myth to use conventional oil for the first few thousand kms? I filled my last bike with rotella, so I dont really have a brand preference.
What oil quality does the manual specify i.e viscosity, api, Jaso MA - standard, synthetic?

·
Registered
2020 XSR900
19 Posts
Little late to the party, but I just did an oil change on my '20 XSR with ~2.8L of Yamalube 10W-40, if memory serves. I used whatever my dealer gave me and ride in warm-ish weather year-round, so your needs may vary. I also saw a higher amount in the service manual, but 2.8L got it near the high-level indicator in the sight-glass, even though I used a new filter.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have the first gen 847cc and it’s 2.4L or 2.7L if you change oil filter according to the manual. I always change oil filter with the oil and I usually pour 2.5L. If I leave the bike standing over night the oil level is higher. There is always some oil left in the engine if you dont let it drain for hours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts