Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Yamaha yzf-r6 to fz-09?

12K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Serrison 
#1 ·
I sold my 2009 yzf-r6 last year, and have regretted it since. I'm on the hunt again, and am interested in the new fz. If you've been on both, I'd like your opinion on how enjoyable the bike would be after my r6. I'll be on the street, not the track...however I'm always trying to find twisty roads and enjoyed the suspension of the r6. In fact, the ONLY complaint I had was after a 5 hour interstate trip, but that doesn't happen to often. Thank you in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
I havent owned an R6, but rode one for a few weeks a while back.

The 09 will give you the same thrills, if not more. Torque is crazy, good luck keeping the front down. Suspension is sweet as for canyon carving, if your a larger set dude some upgrades may be in order. For the price you save on the bike, drop a grand and a half on some suspension mods and you will have a bike that would be near or on par with the suspension on your R6. My 09 feels on rails now, just a rear shock swap and front fork spring and oil change. All of 800 or so bucks.

0-60, I wouldnt be surprised if the FZ eats your old R6 for breakfast.

Your ass cheeks will have a similar issue after an hour, stock seat many have issues with. I find it fine for around an hour. Your back will thank you for the upright position though for sure. If it wasnt for the seat, I could go all day no issues........very comfortable position to ride in.

#3 ·
WalKy-my pre FZ was an R6('04), and while not quite as hard edged and track focused as your '09, I gotta say from personal experience, with the exception of the 'crouch' and the softer suspension, it is totally possible to have just as much, if not more, fun on the FZ. In 4 months of owning it and riding it daily, I have rarely missed my R6. Even with the stock FZ suspension, depending on your gear weight, if you crank up the preload and rebound front and rear, it's a little softer, but for me it's just as stable and fun in the twisties, it just feels different than the R6 because you feel like your sitting 'on' it as opposed to 'down in it' like an R6. You'd not be disappointed, imho...

#4 ·
I miss my R6 dearly....(sorry I like showing it off whenever I can. She didn't have much time to shine when I had her all finished up)

The FZ09 makes up for it more than enough. This suspension issue... I don't feel it. I haven't pushed this bike like I used to with the R6, YET! I haven't noticed any issues. (Its been over a year since I was on the R6) The seat thing is nothing. Yea its noticeably uncomfortable but the riding position compensates for it. Plus the bike looks bad ass. Even sport bike riders love it... 2 things I miss about the R6. Being able to scream up to 16k+ rpms, and Being able to go above 130mph (stupid I know, didn't do it often but I loved being able to).

#6 ·
I've got both currently.

My '09 is strictly for track duty. The FZ is my street ride. The FZ really is fun. I don't know how in-tune you were with the suspension on your R6, but the FZ lacks considerably in this department. If you just rode your R6 around with the original settings and never bothered to set them up for your self you likely won't notice the FZ's poor suspenders. If you've got a handle on the how's and why's of suspension, and adjust accordingly, plan on a new shock and some fork work.

Torque is where it's at though. After my ride home from the dealership I had a massive grin going on. Lofting the front wheel is the norm. Sure, you don't have the scream of an inline four, but you get a very cool sounding three cylinder, and enough torque to forget about the high revving four.

You likely would not be disappointed.

#7 · (Edited)
Haven't owned an R6 but I have owned a ZX-6R which is pretty similar. 600 supersports offer a completely different ride than a bike such as the FZ-09. Provided you are willing to have the ECU flashed and spend about $1200 or so in upgrading the suspension (which is still a deal considering the price of the bike) I think you will find that it is a much better bike for street riding. The stock suspension is a massive downgrade compared to what you're used to. The bike hits you right off the line with a massive rush of acceleration which mirrors what the R6 does when entering into its powerband. Only on this bike, it happens at any RPM (such is the nature of a bike with a flat torque curve). Also, on the street where you can maybe only ride the bike at 7/10 of its maximum potential due to road conditions and street-specific hazards, the FZ (with upgraded suspension and ECU flash) will massively outperform an R6. It is only on the track where you can freely ride the bikes at 10/10 when the R6 will come into its own, performance-wise, over the FZ.

EDIT: Additionally, one huge problem I had with the ZX-6R was that no matter how fast you were going, you never felt it. You always FELT like you were going slow. To get that same kind of tactile, visceral sense of speed and acceleration that the FZ gives you accelerating just up to the speed limit on the street, on the ZX-6R you had to double or even triple the speed limit, and you had to get there quick.

#8 ·
I have owned an 08 R6 and an 06 R1. I don't miss either really. Sometimes I miss the sound of the 4 cylinder. And there's nothing like tucking into my nice little bubble of calm at highway speeds. But for every day riding, this bike is just more fun. Granted, I have put a little money into my suspension (not a lot though). After ALL of my upgrades, I am still ahead (barely) of a stock r6.

#9 ·
Everyone has pretty much hit the nail on the head already for you. I came from a CBR600RR and the FZ-09 is much better suited for the type of riding it sounds like you do. In fact, you and I are spot on in the kind of riding we do. The snatchy throttle can take some getting used to at first, but I think you'd adapt quickly... personally it doesn't bother me but you can always get the ECU reflashed to smooth out the fueling. The suspension is the only area of the bike that I think you will be disappointed with, but that said, it hasn't stopped me from cornering as hard as I would on my RR. For reference, I'm also a bigger guy at 5'10" 230lbs.

The torque is FANTASTIC compared to my RR. Granted, the RR had great mid-top end power, but the FZ just goes no matter where the RPMs are, much better around town. I moved away from my 600 supersport since I wanted something more comfortable on that I could ride for longer distances without sacrificing much in performance... I feel that I accomplished exactly what I wanted with the FZ.

#11 ·
I just sold my 07 r6 about a month ago because I was waiting on the dealer near me to get the fz-09 in. I have been waiting for them to release this bike since before I got my r6, the r6 was just too sweet of a deal to pass up. Got the Fz the weekend I sold my r6 and have not regretted it since. Only thing I am currently waiting on would be for the release of the Akro Carbon ( had Akro on the r6). I loved my r6 and do think about breaking 130 mph sometimes, but then I remember how much I have to hold on to the handle bars on my new bike. Once she gets some growl to her and some suspension work, she is all I will need for quite a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.