Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm happy to say that I was the first XSR900 to have Spiegle steel braided brake lines, it was my first modification. Awesome! However they can help the fact that it's time for new brake pads. I'm just wondering if anyone has some opinions on past experiences with different companys?

https://spieglerusa.com/brakes/brake-lines-accessories-tools/cycle-brake-line-kits.html

EBC HH Brake Pads would be the direct OEM replacement. Which for the price I could swap out twice a year and pretty much always have fresh brake pads.

They have a race version which interests me but apparently you can't get it for the Yamaha XSR900?
https://ebcbrakes.com/products/motorcycle/

The ones I'm kinda leaning to trying are the Ferodo Sintered ZRAC Race Brake Pads.
Ferodo Racing Official Website - Brake Pads & Shoes

A lot of the literature seems ambiguous and it's hard to compare.

I'm also probably going to do a bramble master cylinder, I looked at the Gala Speed which is beautifully crafted but I have concerns about getting parts.
new product?ACTIVE

P.S if you're looking for an awesome clutch lever Gala Speed Graves have them in stock!
https://www.gravesport.com/products/galespeed-clutch-perch-kit-lever-ratio-28-30mm.html

If you want to check them out go to my Instagram @motooctane

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Keep us posted on what you learn / decide. I've always been a fan of EBC's product line, but I know there are some up & comers out there. Just don't roll the dice on unproven stopper-stuff, as it's not where you want to take too many chances. Thanks for all the links, though -- very helpful, since I'll soon be in the market.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm curious as to why you changed the brakes so early? I have both bikes, and did not touch the XSR's, while going with spieglers on the FZ. Granted I'm only 152lbs, so maybe that's the difference. Anyways, just curious, not judgey-like! Cheers, G

·
Registered
115 Posts
yeah i dont find a lack of power with the brakes, they seem plenty powerful and im sure once i the forks sorted the stopping will be even better. my issue with the brakes is lack of modulation. there is no give in the lever, its on or off. i have an r1 master on the way and a few other brake related goodies but pads are staying for now. i dont need more power, just a little more control

·
Registered
322 Posts
Interesting...I don't have that issue. When deciding on this bike, XSR, I noticed some reviews praised the brakes over the stock FZ's, which I found to be true. Never had any modulation problems and have no plans to change the stock set up. Again, very light in weight these days and did fix the brakes on both of my FZ's right away. So would less fork dive have any issue with brake modulation? Doubtful, but then again, some have found issue with the fueling and I left both my bikes stock. My earlier FZ (14) obviously needed flashing, but not the recent ones. I won't speculate on adjustments, I'm sure you've done that part. Good luck, G

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The first thing I did is get spieglers they are awesome. I've done 17,000 in the last two summers that I've had the bike including four track days, the brake pads just seem to be lacking a little bit of bite now it is one of those disposable products on the bike. So I decided to upgrade, the calipers which many people talk about our awesome. I am however planning on getting a bramble master cylinder as an upgrade. I have my bike flashed and fielding remapped but then again I have the Graves exhaust and a new air filter. I had opportunity to try the FT ECU flash and unrestricted map with the stock exhaust and it was bonkers compared to the OEM setting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts