Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this done yesterday along with some 10w fork oil, the bike is transformed, the throttle is hard to fault in all modes and STD mode is now an excellent in between mode rather than one to avoid, if you aren't able to get a guru to reflash your ECU because of distance, geographical or cost issues, demand this gets done. The shop did the CCT and Headlight cable recalls as well which was excellent.
The front end while still soft is better controlled now and does not feel remote and untrustworthy, WTF don't Yamaha just put in 10w fork oil on all new MT/FZ's, no more expensive than the vinegar they put in now. Next job is to chop up the muffler and see what can be done, going forward I know what I want done to the bike but I need to pay it off first, then save up for some Ohlins bits, pcv and a carbon Acro Pipe. Short term a screen, some crash pads, pack rack and a rad guard will go on and that will see it right for a while. Glad it didn't sell now :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Good to hear about the ECU flash update. I currently have the VCycleNut update and really not enjoying the harshness of the STD mode still. Will make an appointment with my Yamaha dealer and get the same recall/service bulletins done to mine as well before the end of month.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Good to hear about the ECU flash update. I currently have the VCycleNut update and really not enjoy the harshness of the STD mode still. Will make an appointment with my Yamaha dealer and get the same recall/service bulletins done to mine as well before the end of month.
All the reviews that have been posted say the Yamaha update is inferior to the aftermarket flashes from vcyclenut and Stoltec in that regard. Which maps did you request when you sent it off to him?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Good to hear about the ECU flash update. I currently have the VCycleNut update and really not enjoy the harshness of the STD mode still. Will make an appointment with my Yamaha dealer and get the same recall/service bulletins done to mine as well before the end of month.
You should bring the issue to David, he will fix that for you. He's a very stand up guy... He did mine and love it. Maybe you could use my set up. I use B mode initial throttle in B & STD mode but the throttle open 100% in all gears. Same HP but smoother coming off throttle. I have quick throttle A mode. Now that I have the fuel map sort out the bike run amazingly great!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Is the CCT problem been made into a recall now?
FreakyFreak
No, but if you are having problems,and are still under warranty, they have an updated tensioner that should be installed for free if you bring your bike in with a failed tensioner.

All the reviews that have been posted say the Yamaha update is inferior to the aftermarket flashes from vcyclenut and Stoltec in that regard. Which maps did you request when you sent it off to him?
curious about this also..this is the first time Ive heard anything negative about the vcyclenut flash.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
In defense of the aftermarket flashes, this bike has a monster motor. If you want nice and smooth, you should consider a V-Strom 650. Guaranteed not to surprise you. I defaulted my flash to A Mode as well as picking up about 8 hp, and I friggin love the massive kick in the pants. I have never even used B mode on this bike. It kinds of defeats the purpose of this particular motorcycle.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Was expecting a smoother STD mode after the reflash, but it is better. Will give the Yamaha flash a try and see if makes a difference. Might be getting a new exhaust come Spring and send the ECU back to David if I do so for the exhaust tune. Yes, he has a great service for a even better price! The best part is I can try a free factory tune to compare it with then send the ECU back to David for a re-flash.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Forget about dicing up the stock exhaust it's not worth the time and is Damm near impossible to cut apart trust me. I'm not the only that has tried it do a search and find out for yourself.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The factory flash makes the std mode perfect for the twisty mountian roads I ride in northern Calif. I owned a vstom 650 for 10 years and now this bike reminds of it only on steroids. imo the factory flash just makes the fueling like it should have been in the first place and makes the bike way easier to go fast on twisty roads. All these reflashes are like suspinsion one size doesn't fit all ,its so nice to be able to tune a bike to fit your likes so easy after years of jetting carbs and exhaust work now all you have to do is plug it in and go. RR:cool:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The dealer described my bike having a throttle with teeth, his unflashed stock demo has a better throttle, so every bike has a different character. Honestly all modes are smooth and responsive now at part throttle low speed settings, the motor is smoother and is fuelling better at low speed, the throttle character is progressive. They ran the VIN to check if the CCT had been done, not really a recall, just something they do if the bike ever comes in for a service. The closest reflash centre is somewhere in Australia, so I have to send my ECU to another country to get it done, hence why the Yamaha flash is a huge bonus for owners in certain areas/countries.
Im stoked with the bike now and it should have always been this way from day one, every 09 should have 10w fork oil done from the factory/dealership. I might TIG up a decent tail pipe and adapt a muffler to suit the headers in the meantime, keep the muffler out slightly restricted to reduce the chances of lean running, yer I agree that if the std muffler had any potential then it would have been done already, the modify std muffler thread has died a death which seams to suggest that success was not forthcoming.

·
Premium Member
2,868 Posts
I didn't notice a huge difference after the Yamaha "update" but it is better. I think it may be more of a patch than an actual fix like the stuff from Vcyclenut and Stoltec.
I might do a real reflash in the future but right now I'm working on the suspension.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts