1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
198 Posts
You are correct. There are a few aftermarket companies that make them. I recently ordered one and it didn't attach like I thought it would so I sent it back and was told refund would not be a problem. That was several weeks ago and still pending. I looked at the side yamaha guards also and they would possibly work with a front guard but may require longer bolts due to both front and side guards attaching at the same spot.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Actually you don't...I have the R&G Radiator guard combined with the Yamaha radiator side covers (got the MT version- liked that logo better- thought they were laser cut but they are just stickers!)- the R&Gs actually mention that they are compatible wit these side covers.

[/URL]

·
Registered
198 Posts
very nice. I might do that as well. bolts are cheap anyway but knowing I don't have to mess with that just gave me the push I needed. Thanks for costing me more $$$ :D

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
very nice. I might do that as well. bolts are cheap anyway but knowing I don't have to mess with that just gave me the push I needed. Thanks for costing me more $$$ :D
Haha, you're welcome. Btw, I got the silver colored R&G radiator guard as it was slightly cheaper than the black one- and I just plasti-dipped it. Still holding strong after 2500+ miles! There I saved you some 10 bucks there.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I talked to Yamaha today. Discovered the following.

No they don't make a radiator guard for the FZ09.

No they could not tell me if they have plans to make one in the future.

They don't reveal in advance when they are going to come out with a new product.

I love their bikes but don't like their marketing strategy.

Sure as shooting, just as soon as I purchase another brand guard they will come out with theirs.

Bunch of Communists...but Communists that build great bikes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I certainly recommend everyone gets a rad guard as soon as you get your bike. Went on a run on the weekend and a mate didnt have a guard on his mt09 - a rogue stone flicked of the road and punctured his rad like a bullet.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I certainly recommend everyone gets a rad guard as soon as you get your bike. Went on a run on the weekend and a mate didnt have a guard on his mt09 - a rogue stone flicked of the road and punctured his rad like a bullet.
Yea ya gotta watch those rogue stones. They are the worst kind.

Standard stones are not nearly as bad! Lol.

But whatever you do...don't get stoned!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Of course that's what will happen. It's all part of their evil plot. I've been stalling with the ECU reflash until I got a few miles on the bike so as not to run into warranty issues and didn't want to get into removing the tank until I (try to) sync the throttle bodies. Then the price nearly doubles. They're training us to impulse buy before the price jumps up the next day.

Please hurry up and buy another brand so that Yamaha will come out with one. You're holding up progress. If / when you discover the hot setup, please let us / me know.

I can see that this bike is going to nickle and dime (Hundred dollar and two hundred dollar) me to death. Nickels and dimes just aren't what they used to be.

Thanks!

Fred

·
Registered
187 Posts
Motorock

That giant box way out the back there looks like a solution to no place to put anything, but it scares me. I had a Honda V65 Sabre with a rack behind the sissy bar loaded up with camping stuff and traded bikes for the ride with a Ninja 900 rider (GREAT ride for me!) Anyway, I'm following him, he's pretty light, maybe 140 pounds and goes into I guess what is called a high speed wheel wobble. It wasn't quite a tank slapper, but he barely managed to stop without crashing. Just thought I'd mention it especially with the light front end on the FZ-09.

Fred

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Motorock

That giant box way out the back there looks like a solution to no place to put anything, but it scares me. I had a Honda V65 Sabre with a rack behind the sissy bar loaded up with camping stuff and traded bikes for the ride with a Ninja 900 rider (GREAT ride for me!) Anyway, I'm following him, he's pretty light, maybe 140 pounds and goes into I guess what is called a high speed wheel wobble. It wasn't quite a tank slapper, but he barely managed to stop without crashing. Just thought I'd mention it especially with the light front end on the FZ-09.

Fred
I guess it all depends on how the bike is set up or what a rider is used to. I barely ever feel the case back there- I had my reservations before I put it up but even when I pack it full with 10-15lbs of stuff, I barely feel any difference. Usually it's filled up with more stuff with a pillion and then I feel the extra weight- mostly of the passenger. I come from super-light standards and a KTM Duke 200, so this bike's front end (and overall weight) barely feels light to me. Am yet to do any accidental wheelies, even in STD mode.
I do make sure never to load a lot of things in the back- for extra stuff I have saddlebags which are lower and more to the center- that balances everything out. Maybe you had too much stuff, way too behind on the bike?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well, yes I did. Lots of variables. If it's no problem, then it's no problem. I'd be careful about a light rider driving it still. I had had no problem either 'til this light guy tried to drive it.

If it's easy, can you forward a photo of the saddlebags when they're on the bike and tell me about them? I need to find a way to carry stuff on this bike.

Thanks!

Fred

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Well, yes I did. Lots of variables. If it's no problem, then it's no problem. I'd be careful about a light rider driving it still. I had had no problem either 'til this light guy tried to drive it.

If it's easy, can you forward a photo of the saddlebags when they're on the bike and tell me about them? I need to find a way to carry stuff on this bike.

Thanks!

Fred
Haha, I am actually pretty light myself..barely touching 150lbs. and since the tail comes only about 3/4th on the rear wheel, the case is not hanging too much behind, and because of the straight seat it is not too high up, as compared to the FZ07 for instance. So, balance isn't really compromised.
You can see saddlebag options here and here. Lots of people have now different options including the Givi, Hepco becker, the Yamaha/Blaze system or normal saddlebags with custom/home made mounts. The ones that I had made for the massive bags have not been perfected yet but worked for my 600+ mile trip..unfortunately dont have many pictures- Will try and find some.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I guess it all depends on how the bike is set up or what a rider is used to. I barely ever feel the case back there- I had my reservations before I put it up but even when I pack it full with 10-15lbs of stuff, I barely feel any difference. Usually it's filled up with more stuff with a pillion and then I feel the extra weight- mostly of the passenger. I come from super-light standards and a KTM Duke 200, so this bike's front end (and overall weight) barely feels light to me. Am yet to do any accidental wheelies, even in STD mode.
I do make sure never to load a lot of things in the back- for extra stuff I have saddlebags which are lower and more to the center- that balances everything out. Maybe you had too much stuff, way too behind on the bike?
Was that duke here in the US?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Was that duke here in the US?
No, in India. The 390 version was supposed to come here but it hasn't yet... Maybe a faired RC390 may show up because "Americans love fairings"... But this tiny KTM thumpers are just a ton of fun!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts