Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing about a motorcycle is as subjective as the comfort or otherwise of the seat - one man's seat is indeed another man's poison!

My new-to-me 2020 SP acquired a few weeks ago came with the stock seat installed, but happily a new Yamaha comfort seat was part of the package. I have now swapped to the comfort seat, finding, as ever, the stock seat to be about as comfortable as a length of plywood. On this Forum there are scores of reports about Yamaha's comfort seat, about evenly split between damning with faint praise and saying that it's little or no better than stock. I now fall into the first category - it is, to my skinny bony behind a little better than stock, but not markedly so, though I live in hope that it may 'break in' over time and use and become more acceptable later.

It is markedly thicker than stock, and especially so in the pillion area, not that I'm concerned about that as I never, ever carry a pillion. It is also heavier than the stock seat, at 2.8kg vs 2.0kg. The comfort seat is very nicely finished in a kind-of suede material, which is probably grippier than the stock item.

The 'hump' at the back of the rider seat did give me a little difficulty when first getting on and off the bike, but with a little practice I have learned to lift my right leg up quite high to clear the seat without kicking and marking it.

By far the best aftermarket seats that I've had, on MT-09 Tracers and a Tracer 900 GT, have been the beautifully-crafted and supremely comfortable BAGSTER seats, made in France, but alas they are quite a lot more expensive than some others. Here in Oz, the Yamaha comfort seat (almost out of stock) retails for $430, and I have paid about $530 or so for custom BAGSTER seats.

Now that some covid relaxations are occurring and borders re-opening I have in mind a little light touring, but I hope I don't have to go down that expensive BAGSTER road again.

Tire Hood Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame
Stock seat on top of Yamaha comfort seat...

·
Registered
260 Posts
You can set up a bike to be perfectly comfortable and ride it for years that way. Get another bike and have to do the same. After riding the second bike for years, if you jumped back on the first bike (that used to be perfectly comfortable to you) you'll find it uncomfortable.

Motorcycle seats break in some, but so does our own backsides. My Comfort Seat feels much different after a few thousand miles. I don't know which of us did the most changing. I'd give it some time.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do agree. Strangely, one of the most comfortable seats I have found was on my late Tracer 900 GT - it made it totally unnecessary to even consider aftermarket alternatives. (y)

·
Registered
260 Posts
I know what you mean. Sometimes some bikes are just perfect for you. The day I bought my '16 FZ 09 I rode it home three hours on the stock seat with discomfort at all. The next day I tried the Comfort Seat that also came with the bike and it was less comfortable, but I liked the legroom. Now, I go back and forth between the two depending on mood.

I'm not super crazy about the upholstery on the Comfort Seat. Every speck of dirt clings to it like mad and it develops creases that won't go away. I kinda wish it just had the standard vinyl on it, but time will tell how it will hold up.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
The comfort seat allows me to have 4-5hour rides without too much pressure buildup. I’ve definitely been pleased with it. I’ve never tried the bagster seat like what you used to have. Wonder how they compare.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not super crazy about the upholstery on the Comfort Seat. Every speck of dirt clings to it like mad and it develops creases that won't go away. I kinda wish it just had the standard vinyl on it, but time will tell how it will hold up.
I know what you mean, even from my limited experience with the Yamaha comfort seat - tho' I like its appearance. I'll have to be extremely careful not to scuff the seat with my boots getting on or off as it does seem to attract marks too easily. I've already asked my wife if she could make me a close-fitting cover for it for daily use, just to remove that anxiety about damaging the seat. Nothing's ever easy and straightforward, is it? 🤔

Reactions: Shinyribs

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the comfort seat for a while and got rid of it. Only thing I liked about it was the fabric. The shape, feel, extra weight and extra height were all downsides. A stock replacement seat from the dealer is about $140 (US). I think I'm going to get one of those so I can shape my own foam and get it covered by an upholstery shop.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the comfort seat for a while and got rid of it.

Yes - it certainly doesn't suit everybody - but then what stock - or even aftermarket seat - does? I say again - nothing so subjective as seats!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see that Black Friday sales events in Europe have well-regarded motorbike retailers offering on-line BAGSTER seats for an array of machines - including seats for MT-09s - at exceptionally low prices. Chromeburner.nl and motostorm.it are well worth looking into... 😀

1 - 9 of 9 Posts