Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MCN Senior Road Tester Michael Neeves is at the launch of the new Yamaha MT-07 in Lanzarote today.

Priced at just £5199 when it goes on sale in dealers later this month, the new Yamaha has a 74bhp 689cc parallel twin-cylinder engine and weighs just 179kg, making it attractive for new and experienced riders alike.

Its closest rivals will be sub-£7k twins like the Kawasaki ER-6N, Honda NC700S and Suzuki Gladius, but on paper the Yamaha beats them on price, weight and power. Only the Ducati Monster 696 has more power, but it’s heavier and more expensive.

The bigger MT-09 launched last year has been a big sales success and Yamaha hopes the MT-07 will follow in its footsteps.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority so far. I would rather have an FZ-07.

It is more than capable of serving as the commuter bike I want. It gets better fuel economy than the "09" does. I'm not a huge fan of the "throttle by wire" system in the FZ-09. And most importantly, my insurance company isn't nearly as proud of the insurance for a sub 700cc bike.

If I was looking for a track bike, the 09 wins hands down. For a fun, economical commute, the 07 makes more sense. But, since I don't live in the UK, I guess I won't hold my breath.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I forget Willowbilly, have you looked at the Versys?
I have been looking at all sorts of bikes including the Versys, and the Honda NC700X. I like the availability of accessories for commuting on some of the other bikes. I need to be able to carry a little bit of stuff with me.

I'll admit, it's the styling that really draws me to the FZ/MT bikes. I think they look awesome. Summer is still months away in my neck of the woods. (Alaska) I have plenty of time to make a choice. Our big bike show is in April, and the dealers offer some pretty good deals.

I'm sure I would pull the trigger on an 07. I haven't ruled out the 09, I'm just trying to be practical.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Agree with Doug. If you have some nice trail up there look at the weeStrom. That thing get killer MPG and has decent ponies too. If there was enough trail here I woupd have gotten one instead of the 09. Its on my pist of second bike down the road as a Adventure Touring for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would have bought an FZ-07 over the -09 too, but I doubt it will come here so I'm pulling the trigger on the -09.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
MCN Senior Road Tester Michael Neeves is at the launch of the new Yamaha MT-07 in Lanzarote today.

Priced at just £5199 when it goes on sale in dealers later this month, the new Yamaha has a 74bhp 689cc parallel twin-cylinder engine and weighs just 179kg, making it attractive for new and experienced riders alike.

Its closest rivals will be sub-£7k twins like the Kawasaki ER-6N, Honda NC700S and Suzuki Gladius, but on paper the Yamaha beats them on price, weight and power. Only the Ducati Monster 696 has more power, but it’s heavier and more expensive.

The bigger MT-09 launched last year has been a big sales success and Yamaha hopes the MT-07 will follow in its footsteps.
Don't be fooled by the Ducati propaganda. I had a Hypermotard 796 and it only managed 72 hp at the rear wheel...so you can be 100% certain a 696 has about 68hp max.

EDIT> for that matter...Yamaha lies too about hp so an MT-07 would likely have about 65 hp at the rear wheel.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Quote Originally Posted by dascrow View Post

Don't be fooled by the Ducati propaganda. I had a Hypermotard 796 and it only managed 72 hp at the rear wheel...so you can be 100% certain a 696 has about 68hp max.

EDIT> for that matter...Yamaha lies too about hp so an MT-07 would likely have about 65 hp at the rear wheel.

$8704.17 US Dollar................I would have thught it to be about $ 1000 cheaper.

Reactions: zloikish

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The Nov issue of MSL says the price of the MT 09 is £6,799, so at £5,199 the 07 is £1,600 less. Or 76%, times the USA 09 price of $8,000 would be $61,18. :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
The Nov issue of MSL says the price of the MT 09 is £6,799, so at £5,199 the 07 is £1,600 less. Or 76%, times the USA 09 price of $8,000 would be $61,18. :)
Kind of thought prices were higher, there.

Hope the discount carries over to here as a $ 6 k bike.

Told my dealer ( I bought 2 FZ 09's and have sent a few people there ) to

put me down for an FZ 07 if they do make it here at the right price.

Reactions: zloikish

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Hope the discount carries over to here as a $ 6 k bike. .
yes, they pay more for bikes (and petrol) across the pond.

if it makes it here i'd expect it to sell for $6-6.5k.....and sell like hotcakes.

yamaha doesn't have any standard/sporty bikes in this price range. honda spammed this market segment with like 300. yamaha is missing out on sales.

already lots of mt-07 ride videos on youtube, here's one from 1000ps:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts