Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We all like Rossi but not long ago he kicked Marcs bike out from under him. These are some big egos with testosterone that's over the top and that's what makes it all so much fun to watch. Like Biaggi said years ago----"this ain't ballroom dancing".
Well, that was a very controversial matter. I am probably biased, but I didn't see it that way.
Rossi was hard but fair. Passing Stoner on the corkscrew was hard to believe.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
My attitude is that racing bikes is dangerous enough, no one needs to make it worse, blatant intimidation on track is not the mark of a great racer. Off track - fine.
We've already had that f'wit pull on the brake lever of the bike next to him in Moto2. He got sacked, but God forbid that becomes accepted.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,705 Posts
So they’ve now officially cancelled all the “flyaway” races - and added another round in Spain, at Valencia. Shocker. What is that now, 7-8 races in Spain? They may as well do what the NBA is doing. Have all the teams and riders just live in some little village together for the rest of the year, no travel in or out, and just hold all the races in Spain...

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Have all the teams and riders just live in some little village together for the rest of the year, no travel in or out, and just hold all the races in Spain...
And then Italy will declare war.

Reactions: Screan29 and Moto26

·
Registered
309 Posts
Makes sense to keep the teams clustered in groups. Hopefully they get a break with the heat.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Holy crap..thats the last thing I expected to hear from his camp!! I'm not a huge fan of Marc but I hate to see any of the riders get hurt!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
At this point, his ‘20 championship is over. So he needs to take as long as the doctors tell him to get back to 100% before he tries this again.

Watching him last week at Jerez, my stomach turned every time I saw his front end twitch, thinking about him landing on that arm again… 😬

·
Registered
2013 FJR / 2014 FZ-09
6 Posts
Yeah, as much as I was hoping he’d get back in the fight quickly for the competition aspect of things, at least now he can hopefully recover properly and not risk anymore complications. I think they replayed his high-side 3-4 times that race and every time I winced haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts
while both of my orthopaedic surgeries involved fractures into joint surfaces, so I had much longer recovery periods (And no championships on the line), I’m still shocked at how hard M.M is able to work that arm post surgery.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I broke my scaphoid racing, just like Crutchlow did last month. My doctor told me I had two choices: Cast it for 6-8 weeks, OR pin it surgically and I could be back on the track in a couple of weeks. However, if I did that, chances were that in 20 years I would have arthritis so bad it would be hard to write my name. I thought, “Hmm, do I have a 7-figure racing career at stake here? Umm, no.”

I went with the cast, and two months later I was good to go, and now - 23 years later - my wrist is perfectly fine. 😁

I feel bad for how these guys will feel in the future, but if I had their talent I would have done the same thing! 🏁

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
That's something we don't hear a lot about. How some top level sportspeople fall apart as they get older.
It's a big price to pay for fame and fortune.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I wonder how much of getting right back on the bike after surgery was his personal drive or unrelenting pressure from Team Honda to "get back in the saddle and win for us".
You know for a fact they didn't tell him, "Please work with the doctor and take all the time you need to get better".
How much stress do you have to be forced to put on your arm to break a titanium plate?

"Following surgery and intensive rehabilitation on his injury, it was revealed that the titanium plate he had inserted into his arm, which was screwed to the bones, has broken due to stress."

"The rider has not felt pain during this period. He has always followed the medical advice given and the feeling from his body. Unfortunately, an over-stress has caused this issue."

·
Registered
309 Posts
I wonder how much of getting right back on the bike after surgery was his personal drive or unrelenting pressure from Team Honda to "get back in the saddle and win for us".
You know for a fact they didn't tell him, "Please work with the doctor and take all the time you need to get better".
How much stress do you have to be forced to put on your arm to break a titanium plate?

"Following surgery and intensive rehabilitation on his injury, it was revealed that the titanium plate he had inserted into his arm, which was screwed to the bones, has broken due to stress."

"The rider has not felt pain during this period. He has always followed the medical advice given and the feeling from his body. Unfortunately, an over-stress has caused this issue."

Im pretty sure Honda had packed up his side of the garage between round 1 and 2 and expected him in Brno. That’s what the commentators were saying during one of the Free Practice sessions.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
My impression is that Honda is like Ferrari was when the old man ran it. Drivers should do as they're told, shut up and win races. Engineesr were his real focus. I suspect Ducati may have had a touch of that attitude too.
Rossi quickly had a gutsful of that from Honda

Reactions: betoney

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
472 Posts
I'd say a 50/50 in pressure if not more from himself. Current teams have a far better understanding of a member who is properly healed vs one rushed back out there. Youthful drive is an amazing thing to watch. I'm sure like many I did some stuff in my life that I look back on shaking my head that I'm still in one piece or able to even reflect upon it. But I'd still do it all again and probably even harder than the first go around. If I was making 6 figures I could only imagine the shit I woulda done to myself to make money while I could. I lost my right shoulder somewhere towards the bottom of my rib cage in a fight that I also broke my back in. Took me a year to throw a football again and my arm likes to go numb but I'm alive so I give myself a thumbs up.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'd say a 50/50 in pressure if not more from himself. Current teams have a far better understanding of a member who is properly healed vs one rushed back out there. Youthful drive is an amazing thing to watch. I'm sure like many I did some stuff in my life that I look back on shaking my head that I'm still in one piece or able to even reflect upon it. But I'd still do it all again and probably even harder than the first go around. If I was making 6 figures I could only imagine the shit I woulda done to myself to make money while I could. I lost my right shoulder somewhere towards the bottom of my rib cage in a fight that I also broke my back in. Took me a year to throw a football again and my arm likes to go numb but I'm alive so I give myself a thumbs up.
It just makes me wonder when you read the press release - "The rider has not felt pain during this period. He has always followed the medical advice given and the feeling from his body. Unfortunately, an over-stress has caused this issue."

For anyone that has had a broken bone(s) let alone needed surgery to repair the injury, you aren't pain free or doing push-ups the next day, and what medical advice was he "following" that he abused it enough to damage the titanium plate requiring replacement?

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
472 Posts
With the "correct" medicines you will feel nothing... but you will be destroying your body further. I did a jump where I came in hot due to a tear in my parachute that occurred during my final slow down (didnt slow down...) I was giving some select injections by a team member and I was able to ruck in and out with no pain. HOWEVER, 20 plus years later my knee is still messed up. When I read the those reports I think about being young and dumb. How i was expected to be tough and projected that image out to the world. I'm sure he was told "you can ride" but how much was left out. His body to destroy i guess...

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
It just makes me wonder when you read the press release - "The rider has not felt pain during this period. He has always followed the medical advice given and the feeling from his body. Unfortunately, an over-stress has caused this issue."

For anyone that has had a broken bone(s) let alone needed surgery to repair the injury, you aren't pain free or doing push-ups the next day, and what medical advice was he "following" that he abused it enough to damage the titanium plate requiring replacement?
That's just PR media release bullshit to cover Honda's corporate arses.
What they really meant was, " it's great that Marc is risking his future to try and win on our bikes, but we'll dump him like a hot potato if he f**ks up and can't ride anymore".

21 - 40 of 48 Posts