Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Test
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yamaha struggling with engines.

Never watched this before. Very interesting.

·
Registered
2018 MT09 Street
197 Posts
this year is the best year for yamaha to win. now that 93 is out. don't throw it away

·
Registered
486 Posts
Are you serious?? Never watched MotoGP? You have missed the best most exciting racing on the planet! Along with the premier class you should check out moto3...small displacement and VERY close racing!

·
Registered
253 Posts
this year is the best year for yamaha to win. now that 93 is out.
His competitors don't even believe that.

Nine-time grand prix world champion Valentino Rossi doesn’t believe the title hunt is “over” for Marquez, despite not scoring from the first two races of a 13-round season.

“First of all, it depends how many points [Fabio] Quartararo and [Maverick] Vinales take tomorrow, and also [Andrea] Dovizioso,” Rossi said when asked who benefits most from Marquez’s absence.

“The championship is short and he will start with a disadvantage, but in the first race he had great pace and he could win. He was the fastest. So, I think for him it’s not over.”

Read Also:

Petronas Yamaha's Quartararo, who won last weekend’s Spanish GP and starts on pole for Sunday’s Andalusian GP, thinks it’s too early to start considering himself as a championship favourite and still believes Marquez “is a title contender”.

“Of course, he is a title contender,” Quartararo said of Marquez. “Two zero [scores] is very difficult to have in this kind of championship because it’s quite short, but we know the potential of Marc.

“Last year he made the record of points [scored] in history, so for sure he showed he is a title contender.

“We have a good opportunity to fight for it, so we will make our best but for sure he will come back to Brno in a good condition. So, we will need to do our best, but for sure he is a title contender.”

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
I have no doubt Marquez will be right in the hunt for another title and we all know so many things can happen on any race weekend. Mark got hurt trying to demoralize Fabio and Maverick. First by running off the track after one of his superman saves and then by crashing hard trying to move up farther than anyone anticipated. I love Marks determination and that's what makes him special, along with his speed.
For the Championship I'm pulling for Fabio. I like the kid and think he can give Marquez some legitimate competition every weekend.

Reactions: 1216bandit

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,695 Posts
Just to reiterate what Triplethreat posts every season, PLEASE make sure not to post spoilers for people who may not have had time to watch the races yet, but maybe checked in here briefly.

This particular post is probably fine, since it’s titled “MotoGP”, so it’s pretty obvious it’s going to have some racing discussion (though it should probably be posted in Off-Topic), but once in a while someone will slip and spoil a race in a thread that isn’t racing-related...

Just saying. Carry on.

Oh, and by the way, I love that Rossi was on the podium today with a guy who is literally half his age. Rossi was winning his first 500cc title the same year FQ was born! Ha! Washed up, you say...

·
Registered
486 Posts
It would be interesting to see how many of the young guns racing now will still
be on the track at Rossi's age! My guess is a big ZERO!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
As for anyone talking about the title not counting if Marquez misses a few races, well...

First of all, he’s only 50 points down. If he races at Brno, all bets are off, and I wouldn’t make room in my trophy case just yet if I were anyone else. And even if this injury ends up costing him a title, whoever wins it is still the Champion, without question. As Eddie Lawson famously once said, “It was possible, also, not to crash”.

I don’t think Kevin Schwantz considers his title illegitimate, just because Rainey got hurt. And who’s to say MM93 would even be where he is today, had Casey Stoner not retired when he did?

·
Registered
302 Posts
It’s interesting both Yamaha engine failures, the bikes went into a shutdown before anything dramatic like the Ducati smoking for almost 2 laps before he finally pulled off. Would love to know what let go or failed that caused them to shut down. I had the opportunity to get a walk through of the tech3 garage a few years ago. was pretty cool to see these things up close.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I really can't stand Marquez, despite his undoubted skill. I've just seen too much dirty riding from him.
In fact, a lot of bike racing is getting far too ruthless. Johnny Rea when he was on the Honda was another one.
I know you have to fight to win. But things like deliberately riding someone off the track is beyond the pale.
It is good to see Quartararo and Vinales pushing him though.

Reactions: 1216bandit

·
Super Moderator
4,223 Posts
I really can't stand Marquez, despite his undoubted skill. I've just seen too much dirty riding from him.
In fact, a lot of bike racing is getting far too ruthless. Johnny Rea when he was on the Honda was another one.
I know you have to fight to win. But things like deliberately riding someone off the track is beyond the pale.
Then you would have hated the likes of Dale Quarterly and Kurtis Roberts in America.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Ha! I thought I was the only one who remembers Jonny “The Human Torpedo” Rea! I admit, though, he has matured over the years. I hope the same happens with MM. Sometimes he appears to be calming down, but then you have your Argentinas and you have to say WTF. Especially because he doesn’t need to ride like that! Some guys can’t make a pass without barreling their way through, but MM is skilled enough that he could race clean and still beat you.

Then you would have hated the likes of Dale Quarterly and Kurtis Roberts in America.
I rode (can’t honestly say “raced”) against 1/4-ly on several occasions and didn’t have a problem with him, but I can see how he got to some people. His size probably amplified the effect - he’s a big dude. Kurtis was always a dick. And Dave Sadowski wasn’t averse to playing bumper cars on the track, either!

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
460 Posts
Rubbing is racing or does that only apply to caged vehicles? Is "win at all costs" not anyone's motto anymore? I know some stuff is outright vengeful but it's not like they signed up to compete in shuffleboard. Sorry I grew up in an era where we knew head injuries were part of football and didn't cry about our brain damage. No blood, no foul! Play on lol.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I won’t pretend that motorcycle roadracing isn’t a contact sport, but there’s a difference between normal, incidental contact and divebombing somebody without a care. They don’t have a cage surrounding them, and you could easily end somebody’s career - if not their life - with a stupid move.

Even in football you can be ejected from a game, or even suspended for a season, because of a blatant, cold-blooded move that has nothing to do with normal play. There has to be a limit, no matter how hard-core a given sport is.

Hell, UFC is about as no-holds-barred a sport as there is, but it’s not like you can carry a knife with you and stab a guy during a match...

Reactions: LouG

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
460 Posts
Yeah UFC got soft too. I remember when it was bring what you got and fight till the end. Rules ruin everything lol. Theres special tournaments for weapons. UFC was developed as an "open handed" combat so weapons were the only restriction. Stupid moves like five bombing and spearing a player can end your own career. Not wise for anyone. I've raced against my fair share of idiots that did this so I'm certainly not saying it's right but it's part of the game. Luckily I was wise in my encounters to not get hurt. Can't say my hands were not sore after the pit debrief but that's part of the competitiveness in adrenaline junkies.

·
Vendor
1,252 Posts
the championship isnt over for Marquez but it will be hard being down 50 to Fabio and i believe only 11 races left

I have not like Alberto Puig since Pedrossa took out NIcky and almost cost him the championship and Alberto tried to blame Nicky. His comments this week and answers when being interviewed proved he is still a C*nt.

Being interviewed he actually said if Marc is out , who ever wins the championship should not be proud. Are You F;ing Kidding me!! Marc is the greatest rider in the world right now hands down but through some skill and through some luck he has mostly avoided the big crashes. Every racer has to choose their limit and how far they are willing to push. He choose on the wrong side in race 1, obviously. He was not going to get the win and had second wrapped up but was still pushing stupid hard trying to make a point and it cost him. Bad decision. If Marc doesnt race another race this year who ever wins the championship is the true champ of 2020 and should walk up to Alberto and smack him with the trophy.

Then last week during one of the practices they interviewed him and asked if Honda was working on making the bike more user friendly for riders not named MArc Marquez as no one else has been able to be consistently fast on it. A 100% valid question. Alberto said it was a dumb question and answered something to the extent it takes talent to ride the Honda and they had no issues. I am not a corporate Honda fan at all and I hope they continue down this way of thinking so that they back themselves into a corner .

World SBK starts this week. Last year i found it a bit boring hope that is corrected this year

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
It is good to see Quartararo and Vinales pushing him though.
We all like Rossi but not long ago he kicked Marcs bike out from under him. These are some big egos with testosterone that's over the top and that's what makes it all so much fun to watch. Like Biaggi said years ago----"this ain't ballroom dancing".

Reactions: Screan29

·
Registered
302 Posts
If Marc doesnt race another race this year who ever wins the championship is the true champ of 2020 and should walk up to Alberto and smack him with the trophy.
well said, to win a championship, your have all the other racers as well as yourself to beat. He saw the red mist and rode over his abilities. Luckily he didn’t take anyone else out when he went down, it was an impressive feat watching him carve through the field but everyone I’ve chatted with who watched it felt it was a matter of if not when he was going to have another moment pushing that hard. Man I did a track day and the afternoon got into the low 30s and I was so dehydrated by the end of the day. I can’t imagine how draining riding in upper 30s at full race pace would be!!

Reactions: vcyclenut

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
We never got any US bike racing, still don't. We barely get any local stuff.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts