Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That might work. I got an online quote of about $50 for an abs prototype. Probably not going to find anything cheaper than that unless it's a favor from someone.

I've got a lead on a machinist now...should know more in a few days.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bet if you search around in East TN you could find someone easily. They make all kinds of stuff over that way. You may even try to see if a university nearby that offers mechanical engineering could hook you up. I would imagine a student would love to do this.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
I can't see your CAD model, but if it looks like the original post, look for a good shop with a laser cutter. Machining that will cost a fortune, especially for just one. The time to program the machine and run the mill will be much more time intensive than a laser operation.

3D printing is always attractive, but the ABS material typically isn't what most people expect. Most people think of smooth ABS bodywork or similar molded parts. The trouble is, the parts are molded (duh!) to provide a very good surface finish. Most ABS printing processes leave a texture that most consumers don't like. You can treat it with traditional body work materials, or even 'polish' the surface with some acetone. I'd recommend a good plastic-grade paint to keep the UV exposure to a minimum.

Either way, it's a fun project. Keep us posted on the final outcome.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
after speaking with Yamaha about using the tuning fork logo - this project has landed in file 13... they didn't say no, they said hell no.

fixed the links to pictures, too.

·
Registered
619 Posts
after speaking with Yamaha about using the tuning fork logo - this project has landed in file 13... they didn't say no, they said hell no.

fixed the links to pictures, too.
If you're making it for yourself, I'd tell Yamaha to pound salt. If you plan on selling them then you'd have a problem.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, the original plan was to make a few and sell them. I fully expected the answer I got. Not a big deal really. I got what I needed :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts