Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts
Drive it Geno... It's all good! People have over 5000 miles that are on recall list!

Hey Geno, my reply is the same as jkmoto-x. I am riding my bike till the part is available. I have over 1,200 miles on mine and I've adjusted the cam chain tensioner. Other than that I've ridden with no problems. I ride 133 miles one way to work. I usually put a lot of miles on my bikes. Get out and ride!

I stopped by my dealer again yesterday (April 14) and asked if they knew when to expect the parts. It turns out that when they checked their order the Yamaha ordering system showed 2 recall kits back ordered with an expected release in June. The manager at the dealership first said that Yamaha plugged in a worst case date and might move that to something sooner depending on how many kits the dealers actually order. Then came the real kicker.
The manager took another look at the numbers in the Yamaha order and then asked his parts person how many kits they had actually ordered. It turns out they ordered 7 kits and the system showed 2 as being on back order. Nobody at the dealership knows the exact status of the other 5 kits they ordered, but they are hoping that they are in stock and being shipped now. At any rate, about all they can do at this point is to wait and see.

I stopped by my dealer today. They ordered all the parts the day that they heard about the recall. They have already repaired 2 bikes for the shift shaft recall and they will be doing mine tomorrow. Hopefully everything goes smoothly, they told me to eat lunch and walk Cecil for a while and it would be done within 2 hours. *fingers crossed*

I called my dealership last week and they ordered the parts. I dropped off my bike last night and they are doing the repairs today.

I called my dealership last week and they ordered the parts. I dropped off my bike last night and they are doing the repairs today.
That's really good news!
The dock worker's strike on the left coast has shipments of all kinds backed up like crazy.
My dealership ordered a R3 and he was given a June delivery date (again, worst case scenario).

I think the strike is over, there aren't any freighters anchored off Long Beach anymore. I ordered parts from China about 2.5 weeks ago and they were delivered in less than 6 days. You would think Yamaha would airmail them out if they are telling people not to ride until it is fixed. My dealer did not tell me not to ride it though, but some people have stated they were told to not ride.

My bike was repaired and picked it up yesterday. Maybe it's me, but the bike seams to shift better now.

Both Dealerships in Southern California close to me shows their parts backordered till June. But here's the kicker.. Yamaha has directed Dealers to fix showroom bikes before they touch customers bikes. I'm riding mine since it only has 500 miles on it. I'm wondering if this fix will help shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I have had to make my shifts VERY deliberate between these 2 gears

Both Dealerships in Southern California close to me shows their parts backordered till June. But here's the kicker.. Yamaha has directed Dealers to fix showroom bikes before they touch customers bikes. I'm riding mine since it only has 500 miles on it. I'm wondering if this fix will help shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I have had to make my shifts VERY deliberate between these 2 gears
If true, it's a sad commentary on how much Yamaha cares about customers once it gets their money. If a defective transmission ever causes an injury to a rider waiting for recall parts, I want to be his/her attorney. I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

just ordered my 2015 FZ. Should I worry about this since it hasn't arrived yet? will the arrival be delayed now?

Well mine was repaired for the recall and everything seems ok with it. It took them about 3.5 hours though :( I overheard them talking while they were working it, and they were discussing taking pictures of my modified undertray that I cut to install the zx10r shock. I wonder if they were also taking pics of my chopped handlebars with internal weights, Cecil's box, and the gps mounted under the headlight. Maybe if they were not taking pictures of BS then they could have finished the job in less than 3.5 hours...:( Oh well, at least it is over - fingers crossed that there are no more recalls!

There is a thread, started this morning, where an owner who had the recall completed had a complete engine failure on the ride home. After what he described as a grinding noise, the engine went kaput. Glad yours is sorted Cecil.

There is a thread, started this morning, where an owner who had the recall completed had a complete engine failure on the ride home. After what he described as a grinding noise, the engine went kaput. Glad yours is sorted Cecil.
Eeeeks!!!!!!!!!!! I hope they do right by him and give him an entire brand new engine. That is horrible! :(

Just had the “shift shaft” recall completed on April 24, 2015, at the Dealer, in Maryland, where I purchased the bike. My bike is a 2015 model manufactured in October, 2014. I received the recall letter from Yamaha April 15, 2015.

As soon as I received the letter (April 15, 2015) I called my Dealer. I told the Sales Manager about the letter and he told me he would have his Service Manager call me to explain the situation. The very next day the Service Manager called to tell me that as soon as he was informed by Yamaha about the recall issue he ordered the required parts kit from Yamaha specifically for me and for all the other customers to whom they had sold an FZ or FJ. He said he had the parts and asked me when it would be convenient for me to bring the bike in for the upgrade. We set the date for Friday the 24th and they installed the kit. It was done very professionally. Forget the 1 hour time frame. I was there for 3 hours.

While I was there I had them add to the service ticket my concern for what appears to be a casting crack around one of the bolts that hold the rear shock mount to the right side of the cast aluminum frame. (You can find a discussion on this subject on this site). It is my belief that this is not a crack, but a defect in the casting procedure, but I wanted to be on record with the Dealer and Yamaha if or when this becomes a problem for warranty purposes.

A final note, make sure you check the bolts that hold the clutch cover to the engine. Mine were not very tight so I tightened them to 8.7 f lbs. which is listed in the Yamaha service manual.

At this point I’m very pleased with how the entire procedure was handled! Good luck to all of you and ride safe! . . . Yama Boy

I never got a letter in the mail or a call from the dealer and this is the first I am hearing about this. With 5,000 miles on it and nobody is telling me this stuff? Lol. hmm didn't read the part about having to search for recalls. Hopefully I'm out of the time frame of this happening or I'll have to make a friendly visit to the dealer

I never got a letter in the mail or a call from the dealer and this is the first I am hearing about this. With 5,000 miles on it and nobody is telling me this stuff? Lol. hmm didn't read the part about having to search for recalls. Hopefully I'm out of the time frame of this happening or I'll have to make a friendly visit to the dealer
There is another thread posted here where it lists the serial numbers of the bikes affected. I think it only effects 2015 models. Here is the list from the other thread:

FJ09F
RN37E-000002 ~ 001322

FJ09FC(alifornia)
RN37Y-000009 ~ 000162

FZ09F
RN33E-004737 ~ 006503

FZ09FC
RN33Y-001457 ~ 001935

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.