Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Yamaha Issues an FZ09 Recall

31K views 58 replies 32 participants last post by  Adjuster 
#1 ·
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Yellow

On March 25, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued a recall notice for six 2015 Yamaha models that may have been manufactured with a shift cam segment stopper than can crack and cause shifting difficulties that may lead to a crash:

The details:
Report Receipt Date: March 25, 2015
NHTSA Campaign Number: 15V176000
Component(s): Powertrain
Potential Number of Units Affected: 4,900
Manufacturer: Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA

The Recall: Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA (Yamaha) is recalling certain model year 2015 FJ-09 (FJ09F/FC), FZ-09 (FZ09F/FC), FZ6R (FZ6RF/FC), Super Ténéré (XTZ12F/FC), Super Ténéré ES (XTZ12EF/EFC), and R6 (YZF-R6) motorcycles manufactured from September 1, 2014 to November 17, 2014. The affected motorcycles may have an incorrectly manufactured shift cam segment stopper, having a sharp edge on the inside of the bend instead of a smooth radius. As a result, the stopper can crack and possibly fracture at this sharp edge.
What could happen: If the stopper fractures, the transmission may not shift properly, increasing the risk of a crash.

The Fix: Yamaha will notify owners, and dealers will replace the shift shaft assembly with a new one, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in April 2015. Owners may contact Yamaha customer service at 1-800-962-7926.

More Recall Information: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go tosafercar.gov.

I realize that this might be old news, but I wanted something new on the front page, so there. Read it again.

See less See more
#6 ·
The headlight recall is something many of us decided not to let Yamaha do, but rather fix it ourselves..in a much less intrusive way.....I personally found no problem with my bike even though it fell into the headlight recall range....therefore mine did not need to be fixed

Reactions: Fizzerpilot
#7 ·
Well, I got the news lastnight about recall and I have just over 1000 miles logged on my 2015' FZ-09. I rode my bike to work, which is 133 miles from home. So, I call the dealer and they say not to ride my FZ...I say well I'm at work which is 133 miles from home. Long story short, I suppose I'll be limping home and praying nothing happens to the transmission. I talked to Service at the Yamaha shop and I'm told the part I need is on order and the job to replace said part will take approx. 2hrs.

#12 ·
Went by my dealer yesterday and he had the recall paperwork in hand. He had received paperwork to do the recall on my bike. He asked if I'd received my letter in the mail yet. Mine hasn't shown up yet but it should be here soon. At any rate, my dealer has ordered the parts kits for the recall and as soon as they show up, I'll have mine done. Well, actually I told him to have the service department do the ones he had on the floor and do mine after they had practiced on those.
The work involved doesn't sound too extensive. Yamaha only put a shop rate of 1.1 hours on the job.

Bottom line is that from what I can find out about this recall, it isn't going to bother me much. I think I'm going to have to find something else to obsess over. :)

#20 ·
you can ask, but they are under no obligation to give it to you

#18 ·
"The Recall: Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA (Yamaha) is recalling certain model year 2015 FJ-09 (FJ09F/FC), FZ-09 (FZ09F/FC), FZ6R (FZ6RF/FC), Super Ténéré (XTZ12F/FC), Super Ténéré ES (XTZ12EF/EFC), and R6 (YZF-R6) motorcycles manufactured from September 1, 2014 to November 17, 2014. The affected motorcycles may have an incorrectly manufactured shift cam segment stopper, having a sharp edge on the inside of the bend instead of a smooth radius. As a result, the stopper can crack and possibly fracture at this sharp edge.
What could happen: If the stopper fractures, the transmission may not shift properly, increasing the risk of a crash."

Check your date of manufacture. Hmm. Just checked my sticker behind the forks. Looks like I'm not within the affected time frame. I don't know what to make of that. Keeping my fingers crossed that earlier production units are OK.

Attachments

#25 ·
I stopped by my dealer again yesterday (April 14) and asked if they knew when to expect the parts. It turns out that when they checked their order the Yamaha ordering system showed 2 recall kits back ordered with an expected release in June. The manager at the dealership first said that Yamaha plugged in a worst case date and might move that to something sooner depending on how many kits the dealers actually order. Then came the real kicker.
The manager took another look at the numbers in the Yamaha order and then asked his parts person how many kits they had actually ordered. It turns out they ordered 7 kits and the system showed 2 as being on back order. Nobody at the dealership knows the exact status of the other 5 kits they ordered, but they are hoping that they are in stock and being shipped now. At any rate, about all they can do at this point is to wait and see.

#26 ·
I stopped by my dealer today. They ordered all the parts the day that they heard about the recall. They have already repaired 2 bikes for the shift shaft recall and they will be doing mine tomorrow. Hopefully everything goes smoothly, they told me to eat lunch and walk Cecil for a while and it would be done within 2 hours. *fingers crossed*

#27 ·
I called my dealership last week and they ordered the parts. I dropped off my bike last night and they are doing the repairs today.

#28 ·
That's really good news!
The dock worker's strike on the left coast has shipments of all kinds backed up like crazy.
My dealership ordered a R3 and he was given a June delivery date (again, worst case scenario).

#29 ·
I think the strike is over, there aren't any freighters anchored off Long Beach anymore. I ordered parts from China about 2.5 weeks ago and they were delivered in less than 6 days. You would think Yamaha would airmail them out if they are telling people not to ride until it is fixed. My dealer did not tell me not to ride it though, but some people have stated they were told to not ride.

#30 ·
My bike was repaired and picked it up yesterday. Maybe it's me, but the bike seams to shift better now.

#31 ·
Both Dealerships in Southern California close to me shows their parts backordered till June. But here's the kicker.. Yamaha has directed Dealers to fix showroom bikes before they touch customers bikes. I'm riding mine since it only has 500 miles on it. I'm wondering if this fix will help shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I have had to make my shifts VERY deliberate between these 2 gears

#32 · (Edited)
Both Dealerships in Southern California close to me shows their parts backordered till June. But here's the kicker.. Yamaha has directed Dealers to fix showroom bikes before they touch customers bikes. I'm riding mine since it only has 500 miles on it. I'm wondering if this fix will help shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I have had to make my shifts VERY deliberate between these 2 gears
If true, it's a sad commentary on how much Yamaha cares about customers once it gets their money. If a defective transmission ever causes an injury to a rider waiting for recall parts, I want to be his/her attorney. I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.