Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
7681 - 7700 of 7725 Posts

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
We're up at Gills Rock until Thursday. Looking at Lake Michigan to the right of us and Green Bay to the left. Our rental Condo overlooks the Washington Island Ferry dock. Just settled in and will be doing lots of trail hiking around the peninsula.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
After our 4 mile hike this morning at Newport State Park. He even got to do some retrieving in Lake Michigan. Tired pup. Saw 6 other people on the hike. Newport has one of the 500 dark sky vistas in the world. Hope to see the Milky Way similar to Peabrain's pictures.
Brown Window Building Wood Interior design

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
I live in an area that is rich with Florida history. The big money hasn't arrived here yet and that is the main reason the cool old stuff is still standing. I have a soft spot for the stone buildings and houses that the more affluent settlers built but the really neat houses are the "cracker style" homes that can be found on just about every back road in the Northern part of the state. These places are single layer, simple, well thought out homes usually constructed from Cypress and designed to flow air.
These two are perfect examples and were probably built in the 1900/1920s. My county doesn't have the money to purchase or protect them but the locals usually keep the yards in check.
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Property
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Motorcycle

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Big week of riding (especially for October!), nearly 1k miles! After the harbor last Sat, was off on Wednesday and went for a ride that included the Horicon Marsh National Wildlife Preserve. Saw Mallards, Wood Ducks, Egrets, Sandhill Cranes and a couple of Whooping Cranes:
Plant Sky Water Cloud Natural landscape
Water Sky Plant community Plant Natural landscape
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Natural environment Natural landscape

Unfortunately, the pic of the Sandhills doesn't look good, zooming with my phone doesn't work well.

Topped off the week (well, 8 days) with 384 miles yesterday (stock seat) but didn't get any pics. Will be going back there as there were several places with fantastic views.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
920 Posts
Some pictures from PittRace, was trying to take a picture of some bikes and got a great snap of a trash can, lol. Need to work on my photo skills. I got some GoPro footage that I'll post up in a day or two when I get it uploaded.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Waste container Waste containment

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
After our 4 mile hike this morning at Newport State Park. He even got to do some retrieving in Lake Michigan. Tired pup. Saw 6 other people on the hike. Newport has one of the 500 dark sky vistas in the world. Hope to see the Milky Way similar to Peabrain's pictures.
View attachment 167519
That sure is a neat place and the dog makes a great touch!
I checked out that park on the Google, stunning place but it looks like it's cold all the time. :)
(My buddy Dutch lives just across the big lake in Gaylord and he sends me lots of snow pictures)

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
If less than 90 degrees is cold then yes. It was mid-60s after dark for us. We still were in shorts and tee shirts. Thicker blood? Maybe. After sundown and into dusk, you think, nothing. This is a bust and waste of time. Within 30-60 minutes the magic happens and it's solid milky way. Seriously, just like Peabrain is showing us. During the daytime, the white sand went for miles and our lab was in heaven. Great place. If you time it right (roughly 2nd week in October) fall colors are at their peak. Very special place just 4 hours from home. Back just in time for pheasant season and lots of great roadster and bike rides yet to come.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
George, How long are you guys going to be around there?
I'll be in the Fontana area on Wednesday afternoon. The weather forecast is the best I've ever seen it!
Les we are home now..left this morning. We got in on Friday at 2:30pm and hit Deals Gap Then all over the place Sat,Sun,Monday.... We saw about 7 crashes during these days and one was right in front of us on the Parkway the guy fixated on the yellow strips under the guardrail and slid right into it we had to get the bike off of him but his pride was hurt and nothing else. He was riding Yamaha star, Had a bear run across the street in front of us .. the Bear made it and so we ! Then the highlight was a Great save on the Dragon by a Harley rider right in front of us he went off rode about one foot onto the grass for about 20 feet had his legs sticking way out and SAVED IT ! he stopped at the next pull-over I bet to see if he filled his depends !! with all the days combined we got in 865 miles !!!

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
The highlight was a Great save on the Dragon by a Harley rider right in front of us he went off rode about one foot onto the grass for about 20 feet had his legs sticking way out and SAVED IT ! he stopped at the next pull-over I bet to see if he filled his depends !! with all the days combined we got in 865 miles !!!
You mean kinda like this Pirate.

7681 - 7700 of 7725 Posts