Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
7661 - 7680 of 7718 Posts

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
1,079 Posts
Plastic shims are great for spreading back out when putting new pads in. One from each side gives even pressure or if you're special you get the above tool.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just place a thick screw driver between the pads and just a little twist so you have a slight larger gap on reinstall ..That's all I do..
Not saying you in particular would damage your pads with this method but I can see some inexperienced mechanics damaging their brake pads prying them open with a screw driver. The plastic wedges might be a bit of a safer alternative and it's not like their expensive by any means.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Not saying you in particular would damage your pads with this method but I can see some inexperienced mechanics damaging their brake pads prying them open with a screw driver. The plastic wedges might be a bit of a safer alternative and it's not like their expensive by any means.
That's true..If you go at them with a he-man mentality I see how that could happen...for those out there is takes very little pressure to move the pads apart with a twist action !

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Yeah, that's what I did on my last pad change.

Didn't even remove the calipers, just pulled the pins slid the pads out the top, then stuck a large screw driver down there to leverage the pistons back just a few mm. Easy peazy.

·
Premium Member
2,979 Posts
When I posted that picture of the shims I had no intention of starting a new topic but it's been fun reading the replies.
I should have posted that photo, along with some explanation, somewhere in the Garage section. My bad!

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
919 Posts
Here's a picture of one of my pictures from my first track day! I'm in the process of purchasing my picture bundle but wanted to share one here. Can't say much for my technique because I really was just trying to survive lol. Next time I'll bring out my best FQ impression.

Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Grand prix motorcycle racing

7661 - 7680 of 7718 Posts