Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
7601 - 7620 of 7666 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Memories.
We were having breakfast at the Tapoco Lodge on 9/11/2001 when the planes hit the Towers.
The next day we did a dual sport ride over that trail.
The wife of one of my buddies grew up at The Green Cove Campground at the end of the paved road. Her Mom and Dad ran that place for about 35 years.
We've done a bunch of trail riding around there but that one really sticks in my mind because that was the day I realized the World was about to change. View attachment 166380 View attachment 166381 View attachment 166382 View attachment 166383
Very cool pics and memories Shamrock!

·
Registered
385 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
The six parts I bought were $101 plus $12 bucks for shipping from Partzilla. I bought a new crown nut just because it's aluminum and gets torqued to 80ft lbs. You have options for this project like substituting tapered roller bearings but for me I'm more comfortable with OEM stuff.
The biggest PITA is removing and replacing the three bearing races since you need to be careful and clever.
It's a necessary evil that just doesn't make for a fun weekend.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I'm in a learning curve with my DR650 having just disassembled my forks and put them back together. I've had the carb out several times for jetting changes and just swapped out the shock with an upgrade. Knowing you can tear things down and put them together can be a pita, but is a great learning curve and confidence builder.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
What started to happen to look into new steering head bearings ?
I could feel that little indent when going slow so I raised up the front wheel, moved the bars from side to side and felt the bump in in the middle. Once you feel the bump it just screams at you!

Reactions: abe57

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,928 Posts
I could feel that little indent when going slow so I raised up the front wheel, moved the bars from side to side and felt the bump in in the middle. Once you feel the bump it just screams at you!
When I was a lad, looking to buy my 2nd bike after riding a CB125 for about a year, I test rode some guy’s beat up old XS650. I honestly thought it had some kind of “self-centering” feature in the steering! My buddy who came with me said “What?!”, so he took it for a spin, came back and told me that’s what a shot steering head bearing feels like. Told me to give that one a hard pass! What did I know... 🤪

·
Registered
385 Posts
It's an SC Projects knockoff from China via Amazon. It was ridiculously cheap but has held up pretty good after fighting to get it to fit on the bike.
How was Friday the 13th, busy? Last time I was there the streets were absolutely lined with bikes. Doesn't look quite as populated as when I last went.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
I read in our local newspaper that the Yankeetown Chamber of Commerce had installed an Elvis figure to their grand entrance way. Of course I had to wait a few days for the crowds to disperse but I did get the shot!
Property Plant Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

7601 - 7620 of 7666 Posts