Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 7887 Posts

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,504 Posts
hwy 88 near Kirkwood, CA

88 is one of my favorite roads to ride with new friends. Twisty enough to be interesting, but not technical. Road surfaces are generally good, and traffic isn't usually a problem. You can easily run nearly the whole thing at 70+ if your competent, and the police aren't around.

I got to chat with the police today, they were waiting when I rounded one of the 45mph corners at well above the posted limit. Luckily I only got a warning. Really enjoying my new bike.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,504 Posts
Like what psycoreefer describes in his post here. I can look it up on Google Maps and then imagine what it would be like to run it!
(pysco even gave me a heads up on the popo)

Go ahead-----plug in "88 near kirkwood ca" on Google Maps. Check it out and just tell me you wouldn't want to hang out with some guy called pyscoreefer at the Kirkwood Inn & Saloon!
If anyone from the forum is ever in the tahoe/reno area and wants to meet up for a ride and a brew (following the ride) I'm game!

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,504 Posts
State route 130, Mt. Hamilton CA.

This was yesterday, I managed to put on about 500 miles 🤫

130 is a tight road, down to just more than 1 lane in a few places. It's what I would call technical, with lots of rising/falling turns, switchbacks, and decreasing radius turns. It also has a lot of very rough/bumpy sections, but I found it enjoyable anyways. I would advise anyone running this road to leave a good degree of safety margin, it isn't uncommon to see rocks, gravel, bumps, pine cones, or goats in the road as you round a corner.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,504 Posts
That's a nice looking road - I don't know why but it seems all of the tight and twisty roads near me have a road surface that alternates between 'almost acceptable' and 'I should be standing on the pegs for this'. The ones that have surfaces like you're showing are all set up for higher speeds with fewer tight corners.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,504 Posts
Looks like an absolute blast! Florida roads suck... we can go straight or perhaps straight. Sometimes we get a little hill action if the road has one of those tabletop speed humps on it...
oh, come on now - you have intersections where you can turn 90 degrees left or right too. And in some of the cities you've got those crazy up and over left turn bypass things (fort myers...?) so you get a hill and a corner. ;)

There is clearly a reason that it seems like 90% of the video's I see of guys doing crazy stunts on the street seem to be filmed in Florida....

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,504 Posts
I live in Florida and actually have some nice roads to play on.
Not tight and twisty but curvy and hilly. My area is limited in area and the nice curvy bits usually come in short stretches but no one ever complains about the weather or the scenery.
Fortunately for me I get to spend a good bit of time riding in the mountains of Tennessee, North Carolina and Georgia.
Life doesn't get any better than that!
Huh...no mosquito's, hurricanes, or humidity where you're at? ;) 😁 If you can figure out how to make it happen I'd be willing to trade 50% of my curves for 50% of your beaches. Or perhaps we can work out a trade on hurricanes for wild fires, we could use a little more water out here.
All joking aside there really is no 'perfect' place for everyone, and if there was I certainly wouldn't be able to afford to live there. The reality is that many of us live where we do for reasons other than the local environment.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,504 Posts
psyco where do you actually live?
I was in Yuba City for a year way back in 1967. Loved it.
Did a lot of riding just a little bit farther north than what you're showing. Stunning countryside and really fun roads.
At that time I was riding a Yamaha 250 Big Bear Scrambler!
I sure love the looks of a lot of the old Yamaha's. I'd really like to get my hands on one of the old 2-strokers so I could ride it back and forth to work. I grew up on snowmobiles and I think I might be addicted to the smell of 2-stroke exhaust...
I'm a little south of Carson City Nevada, but I get around quite a bit - both on the bike and in the cage with my family. You're right about the roads and the views - its not perfect but I certainly can't complain about the riding. Almost any road here in the reno/tahoe area is better than the best roads back where I learned to ride in Michigan.

Both my wife and I have family in the Fort Myers area - I never get down there on the bike because it doesn't seat 6, but I'll drop you a line next time we're headed through and maybe we can grab a beer.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,504 Posts
Today was a bit chilly; bold move, Cotton. Did you take Toll all the way up?
Hey - you recognized the road....I took Geiger grade down on my way into town and I saw 'toll road' at the top and bottom. Figured they must connect so on the way up I took Toll the entire way. It was a fun detour, the xsr did surprisingly well on that service road in B mode and TCS 2. There was only one small stretch where it was loose sand and pea stone that made me a little nervous, the rest of the ride up was just putting along 20mph-ish. It was nice also because my legs were freezing by the time I hit reno on the way down - toll was slow enough that I didn't get the wind chill so I stayed warm on the way back up.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,504 Posts
Got a couple of these saved up....rode this loop Redding loop - Google My Maps
Fair warning, about 20% of that is logging roads of questionable quality. The ride out 299, and up french gulch was nice, but it would be an out and back if you aren't brave enough for the dirt road parts.

1 - 20 of 7887 Posts