Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
The headlight harness may be too short

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA is recalling 5,300 model year 2014 Yamaha FZ09 motorcycles manufactured August 1, 2013, to August 29, 2014.

The recalled motorcycles may have a headlight harness that is too short and when the handlebars are turned fully to the left or right the harness may break near the coupler or coupler may disconnect from the headlight bulb. If the harness breaks or the coupler detaches from the headlight, the headlight will go out, reducing the rider's visibility and increasing the risk of a crash.

Yamaha will notify owners, and dealers will install a sub-harness to lengthen the headlight harness, free of charge. The recall was expected to begin on September 18, 2014.

Owners may contact Yamaha customer service at 1-800-962-7926.

Source: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls/yamaha-fz09-motorcycles-recalled-091814.html

And here is the link from the NHTSA.....
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM462799/RCAK-14V550-4149.pdf

·
Registered
852 Posts
I may just fix it myself it means adding more plugs behind the headlight. I'd rather solder in a couple of inches of wire than have another male/female plug connection getting caught up on something else in that area. But I will reserve my decision once the official fix surfaces.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The FZ09 should have been recalled for a totally inadequate headlight! I did a HID projector retrofit, the way it should have been made to begin with. Problem solved.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Thanks for posting this Nick.....mine is in the Aug manufacturing time frame, but since I've added a LED headlight setup, it's probably not needed.

Reactions: fz9-tx-guy

·
Registered
377 Posts
on the right side of the frame, where the forks meet the frame. You will have to turn the front wheel so it is pointing to the left to see it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I will fix the headlight myself if they will give us the new Flash....
Ask your dealer about it. I had called up Yamaha USA today ad they said that this "reprogram" has already been out. And this headlight is the only recall to come out.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Note the affected manufacturing dates are August 2013 to August 2014... more than a year. That likely catches all of our FZ-09s.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Odd that in a year plus of manufacturing they're only recalling 5300 units, and the notation that they MAY have a harness that's too short would seem to indicate not all have the shorter harness. There had to have been more made in that 13 month time frame than 5300-there's probably at least 2000 accounted for on this forum alone. The last thing I want is for my dealer to have their hands on my bike-no thanks Yamaha, just give me the extension and I'll take care of it myself. Now....wheres the recall for the CCT?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ask your dealer about it. I had called up Yamaha USA today ad they said that this "reprogram" has already been out. And this headlight is the only recall to come out.
Are you saying that your dealer has a flash available?...

I'm not worried about the recall, it also affects Canadian models as well. A sub harness isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Odd that in a year plus of manufacturing they're only recalling 5300 units, and the notation that they MAY have a harness that's too short would seem to indicate not all have the shorter harness. There had to have been more made in that 13 month time frame than 5300-there's probably at least 2000 accounted for on this forum alone. The last thing I want is for my dealer to have their hands on my bike-no thanks Yamaha, just give me the extension and I'll take care of it myself. Now....wheres the recall for the CCT?
When i checked mine out i found the headlight wiring was coming off the back of the harness. If it had been coming off the front like it should... there would be enough slack so as not to be an issue...
If you've rewired the rear signals, you'll know there's an issue with one of the leads being too short. This is the first bike i've ever had to cut the harness apart to expose enough wire to work with. Who ever approved this harness design should be dismissed... no foresight and obviously no testing. Very disappointed....

·
Registered
377 Posts
All right, all right!

I have good news and I have good news.

1. as of now, the headlight recall does NOT include all bikes. Just got back from the dealer, and mine is not under recall.

2. There IS a service bulletin AND a fix reflash of the ECU. It affects ALL bikes, but is marked as modify only those units that experience this condition.

So. get thee down to thy local dealer and get her reflashed!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
^ This is great news from Yamama. Maybe other 2015 fixes will trickle down to the '14s.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Wait, is the us fz09 ecu getting re flashed?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Wait, is the us fz09 ecu getting re flashed?
Yes, if you tell them that there is a problem, they will fix it for you.
Yamaha USA confirmed that yesterday to me- that this flash (or "reprogram") has been out for a while actually- but since its not a recall, I guess dealers haven't advertised it much.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Ah so we may have a potential free fix for the fuel jerkiness?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts