Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Screws DIN7991 will be great for this job. I had idea to use them too but couldn't find.
First, a big shout out to Korider for figuring out the source of the vibration. Thank you, Oleg! I ride a 2015 FJ that had the clutch vibes. I performed this mod yesterday and it's like a brand new bike, maybe even better. I saw the DIN 7991 screws come up so I went that route and just wanted to give a report on how it worked out. I drilled and tapped the posts on the clutch basket then I used a 5/8 countersink bit to bevel the cover plate holes and gave just a touch of countersink to each tapped hole so the screws could really set down in. Here's the result...

20190527_145156.jpg
20190527_150015.jpg
20190527_150027.jpg

In my opinion it worked out great and I still have my full hex depth in each screw if I ever need to take it apart again. I hope this adds to the discussion and gives some folks more ideas on how they can tackle this job. If you've got the clutch rattle this is absolutely worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gentlemen, in last winter, I performed also the replacement of the dampers. At mine, there was also play between the gear and the basket (on the outside app. 2 mm on the circumfence).

I fitted also the Hinson rubbers, and I noticed that het Original ones has been chamfered, the Hinson not.

I made a aluminium tool for exact centering the rivets

WP_20181214_008.jpg

WP_20181214_007.jpg

WP_20181214_016.jpg

As I wouldn't harm the back plate, after drilling I grinded a cross into the rivets.

WP_20181214_018.jpg

And hammer them off by hand. This was my inspiration during removal :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jflZJU2sEVI

As the hole is 6 mm in dia, and using the metric values (Netherlands :)), the next step was M8 and I decided that the aluminium material was not thick enough for M8 (I'm mechanical engineer, building machines). Grinding off screw heads is not a nice solution I think. So I chose to rivet it back together. A company which fixed car clutched did it for me, costs: 20 euro.

WP_20181220_001.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
First, a big shout out to Korider for figuring out the source of the vibration. Thank you, Oleg! I ride a 2015 FJ that had the clutch vibes. I performed this mod yesterday and it's like a brand new bike, maybe even better. I saw the DIN 7991 screws come up so I went that route and just wanted to give a report on how it worked out. I drilled and tapped the posts on the clutch basket then I used a 5/8 countersink bit to bevel the cover plate holes and gave just a touch of countersink to each tapped hole so the screws could really set down in. Here's the result...

View attachment 152652
View attachment 152654
View attachment 152656

In my opinion it worked out great and I still have my full hex depth in each screw if I ever need to take it apart again. I hope this adds to the discussion and gives some folks more ideas on how they can tackle this job. If you've got the clutch rattle this is absolutely worth it.

Hi Pmych,

Can you please share what is the length of the DIN 7991 bolts you went with? Thanks!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Gentlemen, in last winter, I performed also the replacement of the dampers. At mine, there was also play between the gear and the basket (on the outside app. 2 mm on the circumfence).

I fitted also the Hinson rubbers, and I noticed that het Original ones has been chamfered, the Hinson not.

I made a aluminium tool for exact centering the rivets

View attachment 152694

View attachment 152696

View attachment 152698

As I wouldn't harm the back plate, after drilling I grinded a cross into the rivets.

View attachment 152700

And hammer them off by hand. This was my inspiration during removal :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jflZJU2sEVI

As the hole is 6 mm in dia, and using the metric values (Netherlands :)), the next step was M8 and I decided that the aluminium material was not thick enough for M8 (I'm mechanical engineer, building machines). Grinding off screw heads is not a nice solution I think. So I chose to rivet it back together. A company which fixed car clutched did it for me, costs: 20 euro.

View attachment 152702
We obviously think alike. I had the same idea for centring tool for drilling out the rivets

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Oleg,
Great write up mate, thanks.
I have the 2017 MT09 and live in Australia.
I at looking to do the cushion kit upgrade as my clutch is making a hell of a racket.
Do you know if the Hinson CU216 kit would fit a 2017 MT09 with the slipper clutch?
Cheers John

41 - 46 of 46 Posts