Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My name is Oleg, I'm from Ukraine.
Sorry for my English(, i'll try to explain the reasons of vibrations and how to repair it.

I'm an FZ-09 owner. This bike was imported here from the USA . When I bought it had 7000км on odo.
I love this bike, it's amazing, everything great BUT!!! Clutch! this noise is killing me. I tested a lot of top bikes also owned CBR600RR, GSXR750, korean V-Twin Hyosung 650, but I had never feel such vibrations like on my FZ09. My first idea was that something broken. Then I visited a lot of forums and find out that it's a normal when fz clutch have noises, when you drive 10-15 km/h you can feel and listen small noise. at 3800-4200rpm you can hear noise and vibrations too, like something disassembled inside.

I noticed when bike is cold it's run great without any noises and vibrations but after 20-30 km it's start vibrate and has noise from 3800rpm.

Now I have 20 000 km on odo and more vibrations.

I felt that vibrations and noise goes from clutch.
First time when I disassembled clutch and check all disks, here was like new and I didn/t find any deffects.
A little later I started read a lot of differents forums ( Suzuki, Kawasaki BMW) see youtube repair instructions and find out one problem which similar to all bikes.
It's problem with damper springs in the clutch basket. When this springs is wear and became smaller, clutch vibrate and have a noise.

I decided that FZ have the same proplem.
But, FZ basket do not have damper springs, basket construction is absolutely another. It has rubber damper, not springs.
Rubber dampers have I huge loading, exept this rubber do not like oil and temperature changes.
Yamaha do not offer any istruction of changing this dampers, nobody do not make dampers for FZ09. BUT!!

I find it)

First, check clutch basket.

then I disassemble clutch basket
https://photos.app.goo.gl/CJRxKWzy4Khpvyn03

one more check

washed
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kkFpu5kjj0yVH7Tp2

check inside part of rubber

to be continued

·
Registered
635 Posts
So where are you going to get new dampeners ? Rivet it back together ? The stock basket is not worth fixing anyhow

·
Registered
450 Posts
Great post! Very informative and helpful.
I'm glad I can understand why my bike makes the sound. I can see the slop of the bushings in your video
Looks like yet another corner Yamaha cut....... I love my bike but I don't know if I should be looking into a different company soon. I will have over 10k miles a year. I don't want to have my bike in garage more than riding. Otherwise I would buy a hardly ablson.
Just so hard to find a comparable and reliable bike...

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some company like wiseco or hinson make rubber dampers. But not for fz09.
I have made a huge job to compare by pictures yamaha stock dampers and all dampers which manufactured by wiseco and hinson. I know that fz clutch must be similar to other bike models. I find absolutely similar to OEM yamaha dampers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yesterday basket was installed and checked. Bike works perfect. Any vibrations,any noises. My bike have never works like that.
If something happen with dampers again, I do not need to buy new basket. Just buy new dampers,remove bolts and change them.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Does the play that can develope over time have anything to do with the cracked fingers on some baskets? The shock of not having a rubber damper between May make the basket crack?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
557 Posts
That is a good fix - which Hinson dampers did you find to be the same as the FZ09.

One of the problems with rubber is that some materials fail in the presence of oil and heat, so it looks like Yamaha picked a cheap material instead of one that will work.
This link may explain too much, but fluorocarbon based materials do better in oil Fluorocarbon - Material Selection Guide | Apple Rubber Products

I wonder if pins with snap ring grooves
(<-- intentional link) could work instead of the original rivets??? Perhaps there is too much vibration for the snap ring to survive... Just a thought.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yes, part number please ! This would be an excellent upgrade to the extreme basket , it killed me to put the used rubbers in there

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Yesterday basket was installed and checked. Bike works perfect. Any vibrations,any noises. My bike have never works like that.
If something happen with dampers again, I do not need to buy new basket. Just buy new dampers,remove bolts and change them.
Good on you. Great info.

Дякую

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Did this also stop the noise the clutch makes while idling in neutral?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
no, but this noise became quieter. now it goes only from clutch shift mechanism between parts (ROD, PUSH 1 4XV-16356-01-00) and BEARING (93306-00315-00). It's a normal. I did research of this mechanizm. The main problem of noise - inner diameter of bearing more that outer diameter of rod push. This noise in the idling goes from them and it's absolutely normal. It's a specefic Yamaha shift clutch construction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Oleg,

Many thank for your information. Is the solution still working? I've also an MT-09 (Netherlands :)) with some play on the clutch housing. There is no extra noise, but I'm at the moment not satisfied with the gear change at high revs, in combination with the clutch behavior.

I'm a mechanic engineer (designer of machines), and 1 thing doesn't sounds good to me in your solution: grinding the heads off. Hmmz… still considering what I'm going to do.

What size of thread did you tap into the clutch basket? M6 or M8? And do you have a picture of the inside of the basket?

Many thanks!

Kees

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello Kees,
Yes, this solution worked 6000-10000 km and could worked more and everything was great, no any vibrations no any sounds BUT, my basket had another problem it had some damages from drive clutch disks. Small holes do not let drive disks moved free inside basket. And when my bike was hot (from temperature 95C) and the clutch was pressed bike moved a little and I can't find neutral. So, I had to change my clutch basket in to the new. The new clutch runing great. After 10 000 km any troubles.

What about bolts, I'm not sure but it seems to me that it was M8. Sorry, have couple general pictures but they can't be useful

Best Regards

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Oleg,

Many thanks for your quick response! I am considering the job now, it has to be perfect in 1 attempt. I was wondering if I remove the heads of the rivets at the back side of the basket (for example grinding), can I drive the rest of the rivet out towards the basket itself with a hammer? So the existing holes in the basket are perfect centers for tapping the thread and won't need a new center for drilling/tapping into the aluminium basket?

I am planning to use DIN7991 screws, and drill a chamfer into the backplate so that the screws are nearly flat (app. 1-2 mm max) into the backplate.

Did you check the clutch basket with the Hinson rubbers when you mounted the new clutch basket? I am curious about the impact of 6000-10000 kilometers...

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
13 Participants
ZigC
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
We’re the largest Yamaha forum for owners and enthusiasts of the FZ-09 and MT-09. The site has thousands of topics covering performance and reliability, photos, videos and more!
Full Forum Listing