Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did you think the 2014 Yamaha FZ-09 fairs against the 2014 Triumph Street Triple. Similar displacements, similar pricing.

Yamaha FZ-09 847cc MRSP $7990
Triumph Street Triple 675cc MRSP $9399

·
Registered
58 Posts
Specs aside, Triumph makes beautiful machines. I'm a lot more visual with bikes than I am cars and trucks. That said, the naked look of the FZ-09 is not bad. It looks like it means business for sure!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey dascrow,

That's not the correct photo for the Street Triple...you've got a Speed Triple there.
The Street never had a single sided swing arm. For 2013 and newer the Street also has a single low mount exhaust too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As a prior Triumph owner, they really make a nice bike in the street triple and the speed triple. That said, my ownership experience was plagued with major problems. Now granted this was a 98 daytona/t595 and Triumph has come a long way since then. And the speed triple is an absolute blast to ride, if I trusted them, I'd buy a speed triple in a second.

But, I have a good memory and as much as i like them, I don't trust them for long term reliability.

Steve
ST3

·
Registered
23 Posts
I do appreciate the Triumphs. Their build quality has really improved since the Daytona days. I used to use the Speed Four as a track bike, and was lucky enough to not have any real problems with it. I have heard they USED to have issues though. I would completely buy another Triumph. Heck, a BMW friend even said the Triumph quality surpasses the beamer's these days.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Triumphs are nice bikes, but shitty ergos and that FRIGGIN "whine" drove me crazy. I can't believe some people like that. IMO Sewing machine "whine" not motorcycles.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
I love that whine of a gear driven camshaft(s). My ST1300 has that and it just sounds like..."power" to me.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
I agree about the street triple's headlights. It looks like a bunch on designers sat down and decided to come up with a great looking bike and when they were done, someone noticed that it didn't have any headlights, so they went over to a misc. parts bin and rooted around till they found some headlights.....any headlights and just stuck them on the bike. Hideous for sure!

·
Registered
23 Posts
x3threat, that's hysterical! one of the reviews i read about the new triple when it came out was the headlights looked like squished boobs in a push-up bra.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The whole dealer network thing is an issue with me. The Street Triple is going to cost me an hour one way when i need warranty service (either north or south as I'm right in the middle of the dealers). Yamaha is 15min away. I'm still torn though. (?)!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I looked into A Triumph and the dealer would not come off the sticker price and I thought it was even higher and the more I looked at it ,it just did not stack up to the Japanese bikes, was so glad when I saw the FZ09 that I just have to have one !

·
Registered
27 Posts
the fz looks better, but who cares, you can't see it when riding. more torque same weight, duh:D

the main thing is ergonomics. via www.cycle-ergo.com :

fz09: 2013-07-22_1955 - BrightDayF's library
triumph striple with yam shadow: 2013-07-22_1954 - BrightDayF's library

this is why i want the fz09 with a fairing, otherwise the triumph will be more comfortable leaning into the wind on the highway.

now my cbr wth a fairing would probably be comfy touring at over double highway speeds: 2013-07-22_2001 - BrightDayF's library

if money and weight were not important to me, the bmw k1300s would be the sport tourer i would get. 2013-07-22_2003 - BrightDayF's library

meanwhile i will seek fairing and bags for the yamiple.

if i'm ready to buy before those options are available, i will add a kawi with abs to my garage (they have hard bags): http://screencast.com/t/QCV7GAT6B

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Speed Trip is also $12,999 MSRP really no comparison to the FZ. The street triple is $9,300 a bit closer. That's for 2013 models

1 - 20 of 21 Posts