Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We’ve had lots of seat time on the FZ-09, and this sub-$8K naked bike has so much spirit, soul, and performance that the next time I rolled on the throttle riding a Honda NC700X, all I heard was the sound of quiet desperation.

We know the NC700X isn’t meant to be the same thing, but you just can’t help make the comparison because these bikes are going after the same entry rung and are just too close in price to ignore.

But there is no doubt the FZ-09 is the enthusiast’s choice. Wicked fast in a straight line, this Yamaha triple blasts through the quarter-mile in 10.66 seconds. That’s only a few ticks off our trio of exotics leading this Year of the Naked section and barely behind the Monster 1200 S, Speed Triple R, and Z1000, all of which cost considerably more.

Folks, we are talking mid-10s from a $7,990 motorcycle. And it’s not just the 107 hp and 62 pound-feet of torque the bike makes on the CW Dynojet dyno; it’s the fact that there are 43 pound-feet at just 2,000 revs and an excellent clutch that makes firing out the hole so easy. A 396-pound dry weight doesn’t hurt either.

Steering is very good, the riding position ultra comfortable, and overall handling is held back only by the suspension, which suggests “lowest bidder.” The spring-preload- and rebound-damping-adjustable fork and shock run short of composure, even with rebound cranked to max. Eh, be smooth and start considering upgrades (we’ll update you in the next FZ-09 long-term-test installment soon).

There are plenty of reasons to peel greenbacks out of your wallet for bikes like the BMW S1000R, but if you don’t have the funds, the FZ-09 and its new FZ-07 stablemate mean you have not been left out of the naked-bike revolution.

Sauce: Yamaha FZ-09- Naked Sportbike Motorcycle Review- Photo Gallery

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
You're singing to the choir, lol

Sounds good to me:cool:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
A couple more awesome photo's from that article:

Love how they do all the reviews with the fastest colour too. ;)
Can you really see the RED on that Bike......?????????????????

Reactions: River and MoFZio

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

We’ve had lots of seat time on the FZ-09, and this sub-$8K naked bike has so much spirit, soul, and performance that the next time I rolled on the throttle riding a Honda NC700X, all I heard was the sound of quiet desperation.

We know the NC700X isn’t meant to be the same thing, but you just can’t help make the comparison because these bikes are going after the same entry rung and are just too close in price to ignore.

But there is no doubt the FZ-09 is the enthusiast’s choice. Wicked fast in a straight line, this Yamaha triple blasts through the quarter-mile in 10.66 seconds. That’s only a few ticks off our trio of exotics leading this Year of the Naked section and barely behind the Monster 1200 S, Speed Triple R, and Z1000, all of which cost considerably more.

Folks, we are talking mid-10s from a $7,990 motorcycle. And it’s not just the 107 hp and 62 pound-feet of torque the bike makes on the CW Dynojet dyno; it’s the fact that there are 43 pound-feet at just 2,000 revs and an excellent clutch that makes firing out the hole so easy. A 396-pound dry weight doesn’t hurt either.

Steering is very good, the riding position ultra comfortable, and overall handling is held back only by the suspension, which suggests “lowest bidder.” The spring-preload- and rebound-damping-adjustable fork and shock run short of composure, even with rebound cranked to max. Eh, be smooth and start considering upgrades (we’ll update you in the next FZ-09 long-term-test installment soon).

There are plenty of reasons to peel greenbacks out of your wallet for bikes like the BMW S1000R, but if you don’t have the funds, the FZ-09 and its new FZ-07 stablemate mean you have not been left out of the naked-bike revolution.

Sauce: Yamaha FZ-09- Naked Sportbike Motorcycle Review- Photo Gallery
Agree. The 09 and 07 are game changers. The competition can't even compete. Some of the other companies are trying to drop prices to compete (like the Shiver) but most are oblivious as what to do. When the FJ-09 drops it's gonna be another black eye for the others. And if the larger displacement version materializes it's gonna be a knockout.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I would love to have in my garage:

FZ09
FZ07
FJ09
And an R1 triple cylinder for shits and giggles.

Yamaha is eating up all the other poor little dogs. I was at my previous Kawasaki dealer only a few days ago looking at gloves. Spoke to one of the salespeople there that I know from previous, he was checking out my 09 out front. Tried to act like it wasnt as good as it was, but I could see that he was pretty impressed.

They are a Kawasaki, Triumph and HD dealer. Mainly Kawasaki and Triumph. He actually said to me, that the sales of the Triumph Street and Speed have dropped right off. And too the Ninja 650 and Z1000. He thinks directly because of the pricing on the 09. I said yeah pricing is part of it, the other part is that it is actually a really choice bike to ride. Yamaha are doing the job right that's for sure.

·
Registered
96 Posts

FZ09
FZ07
FJ09

Yamaha is eating up all the other poor little dogs. I was at my previous Kawasaki dealer only a few days ago looking at gloves. Spoke to one of the salespeople there that I know from previous, he was checking out my 09 out front. Tried to act like it wasnt as good as it was, but I could see that he was pretty impressed.

They are a Kawasaki, Triumph and HD dealer. Mainly Kawasaki and Triumph. He actually said to me, that the sales of the Triumph Street and Speed have dropped right off. And too the Ninja 650 and Z1000. He thinks directly because of the pricing on the 09. I said yeah pricing is part of it, the other part is that it is actually a really choice bike to ride. Yamaha are doing the job right that's for sure.
I wouldnt say any of this too loudly in Perth - youll bring out the 'Street Triple is best and the MT09 is terrible bla bla' fan boys :p

·
Registered
962 Posts

FZ09
FZ07
FJ09

Along with the FJ-09 I'd like to see a 300lb FZ-05 with a WR450 engine in it. When I heard rumors that Yamaha was coming out with a replacement to the SR500 that's what I envisioned - not a 400lb air cooled throwback with a drum brake...

·
Registered
244 Posts
See the stunt rider doesn't chop the gas... he loves to slide like at Super Moto. Hence remember sliding is ok don't hop the gas!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts