Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I went out of town for a couple day trip for work last week and dropped my bike off at the dealer for the following ...

(btw, I can do #1 and #2 but being a new bike and not being done in the 1st service, I thought they should do the work)

1) Remove slack from throttle
2) Check/adjust throttle body synch to get rid of choppy idle and choppy feel/throttle at low speeds in traffic (specifically around 3000 to 3700 rpm in 1st, 2nd and 3rd)
3) Replace fork oil with 10 weight oil
4) Check Cam Chain Tensioner and contact Yamaha to cover part replacement at no cost to me. I don't think I have the noise yet but wanted to be proactive. (I also didn't want to pay their somewhat high price of $128 just for the part. That same part happens to be on PartShark.com for about $65 btw)

I got the bike back Tuesday and am very happy with the fork oil replacement and how it improves ride/handling. The throttle still has too much play for my liking and the idle still feels choppy to me. They were still waiting for a call back from Yamaha.

Today, I got a call from the service manager to follow up on my work and to talk about the CCT update. I relayed I wasn't exactly happy about the throttle play and the choppy idle and would keep an eye on it, probably adjust it myself. He then informed me of the following communication with Yamaha. I'm not embellishing and am just passing along summary statements ...

1) Yamaha talked to the service tech, explained what the symptoms sound like and the RPMs at which it occurs. I can bring it back in so they can re-listen for the issue.
2) Yamaha told the service manager that they do not plan on publishing a service bulletin or doing a recall. It only affects a certain range of VIN numbers and they don't believe my bike is in the affected range. The service manager maybe didn't want to share the range but said Yamaha didn't provide the range to him. If I were him, I would have asked for general info and future customer service appointments.
3) The BEST part was ... Yamaha recommends wearing a full face helmet and then the rider would be less likely to hear the noise.

So there you have it! :listening_headphone

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I think we can figure out a vin range on this forum.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
You know, with an answer like that, if I had no cares, I would run the bike until I blew up the engine because of a thrown cam chain.....then let them spend some warranty money on a new motor. That is just unbelievable!!!

·
Registered
768 Posts
That last bit about the helmet seems a little unlike a response from corp. Yamaha.
Doesn't matter, either.
Like Daltmeyer says, you can hear it loud and clear even with a full faced helmet.

after replacement

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Actually, if they ever rode motorcycles, they would know that full face helmets make hearing noises easier, because they cut wind noise.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honestly, if your OEM CCT isn't ticking, THIS IS the time to install the set screw, then you will never have a problem, and you do not have to worry about adjusting the tensioner.
Yeah, I plan on doing this probably this weekend. Was just hoping my dealer and whoever their Yamaha contact was would be more proactive. This appears to possibly be a better and more permanent fix than the newer parts too.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Your dealer is talking out of his butt. Call Yamaha and report his ass.
I agree. I think this is the dealer talking not Yamaha.

When my dealer called Yamaha, they confirmed the issues with the tensioner and agreed to send a new tensioner under warranty.

But Yamaha also confirmed that no bulletin has been issued, although they are considering it. I think it would make things easier on their customers if they would just issue the bulletin.

·
Registered
583 Posts
What am I missing????

The adjustment screw for the chain tension has NOTHING to keep it from getting loose due to vibration... if something pushes on that screw, or whatever is in there, it is going to get loose so the chain will get loose... what does the short bolt do except keep dust out? I must be missing something... something really fundamental?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Well, there is a spring on the other end that is supposed to keep tension on the adjuster, but if you've ever turned that screw, it doesn't create much friction. It's a pretty bad design.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I suggest the owner go back to the service manager and demand that he put it in writing about >>"wear a full face helmet and you won't hear the noise". That fool should be fired.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
3) The BEST part was ... Yamaha recommends wearing a full face helmet and then the rider would be less likely to hear the noise.
Even if I believed that Yamaha actually said this (and I don't), this type of statement should have NEVER been relayed to the customer and all it does is reflect poorly on the service manager/dealership. Highly unprofessional.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts