Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
They do look good- been thinking of getting them too but in my head, that's a lot $$$! Where did you get it from and how much?
How hard was installation? Any leaked oils?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think these are my favorite and with the metal insert probably offer the best protection without being oversized.. I'm ordering mine tomorrow since my dealer gives me a discount on everything they sell.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The other side.

I ordered them from my local Yamaha dealership. Looking at them in their package I thought they were to pricey for what they were. But they came with rubber blocks that go inside of them to protect your cases if the bike is dropped, and fit and finish is what I expect from a Yamaha accessory. I think I got 20% off. Installation was very simple and took just over 30mins. Only had to remove to bolts from each side.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'll be waiting for the Woodcraft ones being made in conjuction with Stoltec, they are gonna look the goods and perform the goods with a metal slider also.

I nearly........very, very nearly......got these Yamaha ones when first buying the bike. But like v2Bob mentioned, I had a look at them out of the box and the bolts and the hardware just seemed cheap and didnt look like they would hold up too well in a crash. They are also very large, as in stick out a long way. That was only my personal opinion on them though, and couldnt stomach the $300 plus price tag that Yamaha were charging for them. Could get cases and sliders for that. The Aussie/Euro version did have "MT-09" engraved in the metal part which was super cool though and I liked that feature. Doesnt look as if the US version has "FZ-09" engraved which is a shame.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/fz-09-engine-guards

List on them is $249. Looking at them it seems the bolts could bend in a crash.
The bolts are under the metal piece and they screw into the cases. If these bolts bend you've got bigger problems than that. Having seen a lot of wrecked frame sliders on sport bikes that would have done less damage if the bolt would have bent or broke.

Funny thing the web site link says they are suppose to have FZ-09 engraved on them and they don't.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Any kind of a decent well engineered engine slider...the bolts are SUPPOSED to bend. The ones that are cheap with huge bolts break the engine cases when it cartwheels down the road.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Had these on order for 2 months, cancelled them when there was no word on movement. Got the Stoltec sliders instead which are great, will go with them from here on out for accessories :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I gotta ask the question.... They don't protrude that far, so if you were to get in an accident aren't you more likely to damage other parts on the bike that will total it before the engine ever takes a bad hit?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I gotta ask the question.... They don't protrude that far, so if you were to get in an accident aren't you more likely to damage other parts on the bike that will total it before the engine ever takes a bad hit?
The purpose of engine sliders are to protect the engine. If you grind a hole in the cases...you walk home.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Actually they do, check out the actual Stoltec thread. remember this are only a plastic prototype. The actually production Woodcraft case covers will have replaceable sliders on them (check the original thread).

prototype Woodcraft case covers, check Stoltec original thread!
DSC_0683-2.jpg

·
Registered
342 Posts
will the actually protect the bike in a crash or tip over or are they just bling i want some kind of protection and from what ive read standard pucks are useless....the engine mount ones look like airplane wings but do look like they will help.....just curious

1 - 20 of 23 Posts