Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just ordered a corbin gunfight saddle this morning. It's only $90 more than this one. I liked my corbin on my old bike so I broke down and ordered one for the fz

·
Registered
411 Posts
use the search feature and you will find a great deal of information about alternate seats. there are several threads here on the subject.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just ordered a corbin gunfight saddle this morning. It's only $90 more than this one. I liked my corbin on my old bike so I broke down and ordered one for the fz
The Corbin looks good. Only problem is I'm up in Canada, and with the horrible exchange rate, the Corbin is going to work out around $475 plus shipping! Yamaha Canada has their so-called comfort seat for $325, opposed to $305 in the US, so it's a little less of a hit - but only worthwhile if it does the job!

·
Registered
208 Posts
The Corbin looks good. Only problem is I'm up in Canada, and with the horrible exchange rate, the Corbin is going to work out around $475 plus shipping! Yamaha Canada has their so-called comfort seat for $325, opposed to $305 in the US, so it's a little less of a hit - but only worthwhile if it does the job!
If that was the case I'd do the same thing!

Reactions: markjanemhan

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I have tried the stock seat, the Yamaha comfort seat and the Seat Concepts seat. I have had Corbin seats on several other bikes in the past.

I have not tired the Corbin for the FZ09 but I did have one for my FZ1 and I did not like it at all. Too hard and stiff. I know a couple of folks at Corbin and they purposely make the seats hard because their theory is that the seat doesn't need to be soft to be comfortable, rather the seat needs to be shaped properly to be comfortable. That said, I guess my butt is not shaped properly for the FZ1 or Ducati 900SS or BMW R100RS Corbin seats I have and in past as the stock seats were more comfortable in all cases, than the Corbin, IMO.

On the FZ09 I like the Seat Concepts seat. It is comfortable for an all day ride. Stock seat had my balls hurting in about 30 minutes.

I tried several seats on the FZ1 and the Sargent seat was the best for that bike, IMO. If Sargents had a seat for the FZ09 available earlier, I likely would have a Sargents seat for the FZ09. Not sure how good the Sargent FZ09 seat is as I have not tired it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have tried the stock seat, the Yamaha comfort seat and the Seat Concepts seat.
Thanks Motomania. Seat Concepts sounds like a good choice. I'm looking for that "long ride" level of comfort! Rather than send the seat pan down to the US, I could get an upholsterer up here in Vancouver to fit it. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I'm up against the poor exchange rate, so I'm trying to minimize the expense! You mentioned having tried the Yamaha comfort seat. How was that one? Was it much better padded than stock? Did it still have the forward lean like the stock seat?

·
Registered
612 Posts
It's nice to know that Yamaha decided to put an uncomfortable seat on the 09 but offer a more comfy version for additional charge. I picture the design meeting for the FZ in Tokyo going a little like this:

"let's take all the padding out of the seat for the stock bike, then sell them a seat with padding for more ¥en".

What's next.. Paying an additional fee for handlebars and grips? If they thought to make a comfy seat as an add-on, then just admit they screwed up and make the comfy version the stock seat. :mad-new:

·
Registered
833 Posts
It's nice to know that Yamaha decided to put an uncomfortable seat on the 09 but offer a more comfy version for additional charge. I picture the design meeting for the FZ in Tokyo going a little like this:

"let's take all the padding out of the seat for the stock bike, then sell them a seat with padding for more ¥en".

What's next.. Paying an additional fee for handlebars and grips? If they thought to make a comfy seat as an add-on, then just admit they screwed up and make the comfy version the stock seat. :mad-new:
unfortunately, this is common practice. Suzuki sold "gel" seats for some of their models. Just like at the car dealership....if you want upgrades (accessories) they have them, for a price....

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Anybody tried this:

https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/fz-09-comfort-saddle?b=Search

Looking for something to replace the stock plank. Reviews on this, and other suggestions welcomed by my weary ass!:(
For gel seats, a lot of guys report they suck if you ride in the heat. The gel can be bad for trapping in the heat, and left in the sun the gel can turn your seat into an easy bake oven.

Unfortunately if you do live in Canada, you have to make sure any US suppliers can ship to Canada via USPS. USPS may take a bit longer to get your order, but they will not rip you off as bad as UPS and all the other couriers for their outrages duty and brokerage fees to get stuff across the border. Mt brother order a Corbin seat once that was on sale for a great price. By the time UPS was done with it, he wished he never bought the dam thing. Unfortunately Corbin only shipped international orders via UPS, so beware if they still only ship orders to Canada Via UPS.

In Canada if you are ordering a seat from the US, just make sure you know how they are going to ship it. One way to keep the cost down is to order a cover & foam kit and get it fit locally if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.

There is also a few other places worth checking for kits and/or whole seats.

Seat Concepts: Seat Concepts - Products
You just have to contact them to find out how they ship orders to Canada, I can't find anything on their website.

MotoStarz.ca: Aftermarket Performance Parts and Accessories for Yamaha FZ-09 / MT-09 2013, 2014, 2015 | Motostarz Canada | Motostarz.ca
Tones of local 09 accessories, plus they will quote you on just about anything you might be looking for, might be worth checking out.

A Vicious Cycle: FZ-09, '14- - Aviciouscycle.ca
A Canadian Corbin Supplier, which saves you a bunch just to get it across the border, and free shipping on $350+ orders.
They can also quote you on just about anything you are looking for.

Another good place to check out, is see if there is a good local place that does custom motorcycle seat upholstery.

And here is the list of Canadian Suppliers so far:
http://www.fz09.org/forum/51-prairies/5482-list-good-canadian-suppliers.html

Another option that a lot of DR605SE riders are claiming to be a good cheap option are Sit & Fly seat cover. Which can be ordered on Ebay, and they offer free worldwide shipping.

https://www.facebook.com/SitFlyNetCoverForMotorSeats

S F it & ly - net cover for motorcycle seats!!! | Wix.com

Reactions: markjanemhan

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Not quite the way it works.

The "Comfort Seat" has STIFFER padding. Long distance riders tend to prefer a firmer seat. If you want a softer seat do not order the Comfort seat.

The challenge with soft seats is that your butt sinks in them and no air can get in. As a result, you can get a little itchy and uncomfortable especially in hot weather. Folks that believe a soft seat is more comfortable have a lot to learn. It may feel great when you first hop on but after a short time in the saddle you will be squirming.

I had a Seat Concepts seat and hated it. The best one for me was a Corbin. A seat is a very personal choice and many folks want something different out of a seat. I prefer firm padding that more closely matches the shape of my butt.
This actually makes sense to me as most of my longest tours have been done on kind of firm seats-including the stock FZ seat. Then again, look at the cushy Gold Wings and Dyna Glides.
Have to test out the Shad seat on the next 250 mile one-way trip later this month. Should be interesting what I find.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Got mine from Dual Sport Touring installed & ~30 mile ride yesterday, felt like you sat into a saddle - firm but comfortable, and not sloping into the seat. Ask them about their VERNtastic edition - no really they have specs for one simular to what TTT ordered and it is good. About $275 using your pan.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The "Comfort Seat" has STIFFER padding. Long distance riders tend to prefer a firmer seat. If you want a softer seat do not order the Comfort seat
I don't think I'm necessarily looking for softer - I think it's the forward slope of the stock seat that bugs me most. I'm, constantly pushing myself back from slipping forward. If it was flat, the padding would probably be adequate. I've done the shim thing, raising the front of the seat as far as I possibly can, but this has had zero benefit for me. Others (Ari Henning on his long-term Motorcyclistonline.com test included) have found it did the trick.

·
Registered
260 Posts
...I think it's the forward slope of the stock seat that bugs me most. I'm, constantly pushing myself back from slipping forward. If it was flat....
Two months after I bought the bike I had the seat reworked, most of the slope was eliminated. The original pan is all that's left. My guy did not want to make it flat and I have to agree, he was right. Any issues I had with the original seat have vanished! Happy a$$, happy ride.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts