Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was shooting shit with a couple buddies, and the topic of the battleaxe's on a couple other bikes are dogshit OEM tires and have been cracking often. One of my friends just replaced his on his zx10 and our dealership buddy who was with us mentioned that there might be some precedent for having an OEM tire replaced under warranty if a nail or something ended up in it. Can anyone give any input on wether or not this is credible? I'm under the assumption that tires are consumables and not likely to be replaced under a factory warranty.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I would assume you are correct. Tires are wear parts. Now most tires are prorated if they develop cupping or cracking. In other words if the tire has a manufacturer defect, than you may have a leg to stand on.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I'd say you have to have a verrrrry generous dealer to have a tire replaced under warranty. Unless, the tire was deemed defective from the factory, which would be quite rare...

I've never bothered buying one of these extended warranties, but I'd presume in the warranty booklet, it would be very specific about what is covered, and what is not.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Cracking? How old were the bikes at the time, and how old were the tires? I forget how to read it but there is a manufacture date on tires, works out to something like the 31st week of 2011 if I recall right. If a tire on a new bike was cracking I'd wonder if the tire had been on the shelf for awhile.

But if the owner has had the bike 3 years etc and still has the original tires I'd wonder about the rider lol.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Wear & tear items like tires and brake pads typically aren't covered under any sort of warranty which otherwise covers the rest of the bike. The only possible exception might be if there was some sort of obvious defect that showed itself when the bike still had a relatively low amount of time.

That being said OEM tires on bikes are usually old stock that the mfr bought at an extremely cheap rate in bulk, so they'd be much more likely to show cracking than tires you put on. A buddy of mine bought a ZX6R that came with Bridgestone BT016s and when they eventually wore out he replaced them with another pair of the same exact tire. He noticed the new tires felt noticeably better than the old ones ever did.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Tires are never covered by the automotive or motorcycle manufacturer, just by the company who produced the tire....Bridgestone, Michelin, etc. At best, a good dealer may help with making contact with that tire company, but don't expect much. I just went round and round with Michelin, who you would figure would be a top-shelf company, and it was worse than dealing with the customer service desk at Wal Mart.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I dont think a nail in the tire is covered by any warranty. Unless the tire company says so.
Also, I had no issues with the stock bridgestones (S20s)- I rode on them for 5140 miles before replacing them today- nearly 2000 miles of those was with a plug- the only reason I even replaced them. The treads were fine and wet weather grip was good and they warmed up fairly fast- even in the dead of winter.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got these sets of cracks on my 20s that this all came from, but the rest of the tread looks pretty decent, anyone know if there's a good way to tell if they are shallow and just from some road debris or if I should be replacing them ASAP. I have a PR4 en route but I can store it if I don't need to get rid of this tire right away.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a 5 year tire warranty through my dealer. I dont think its a Yamaha warranty. But it was $400 for the 5 year span. 1 tire replacement makes up for the cost (which I already did). It covers anything that punctures the tire or I guess the tire cracking too, only to 3mm. And it doesnt cover burnouts ;) . Anyways, I can choose any brand tire, as long as its the same size as OEM. So when I got a nail in my rear tire, I chose to get a Michelin Pilot Power 3. When my front tire gets close to the 3mm mark, I might just run over some staples, hoping to get 1 or 2, and then get another brand new set of tires.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, can anyone else add a thought on whether or not this is serious tire damage or something that will wear out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts