Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious who have purchased the extended warranty from yamaha. I have owned my FZ-09 since may,so i have afew months of the year warranty left but most of it will expire during the winter months. Do i need to contact my dealer on the YES or will i receive something in the mail? My biggest question is do most feel as tho it is worth the money? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
you should get a letter in the mail reminding you that the factory warranty will be expiring and that you can still purchase the y.e.s warranty.

i'm on the fence about it - i'm leaning towards 'no' but i haven't read the terms of the y.e.s. warranty.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Personally, I don't think the extended warranty is worth the $$ (I've purchased one in the past and never used it), but if it helps you sleep at night... who am I to say.

Just keep in mind that you are NOT required to buy the warranty from the dealership where you purchased the bike. Generally, you can get a much better deal buying one on eBay, which is where I purchased mine last time I bought one... the dealership wanted an outrageous amount and wouldn't budge... so off to eBay I went.

Just checked eBay and a 48mo Y.E.S. extended motorcycle warranty is going for around $400 bucks.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I also pondered the fact that being a new motor, would the extended warranty be worth it?!

I'm leaning towards N.O. extended warranty.

Reactions: janzend

·
Registered
342 Posts
That is how i am thinking too! How many years did you go with and how much was it if you dont mind me asking?
$280 for 4 years.....too good to pass up....I have spent several thousand dollars at this dealer so they cut me a break.....first time ive ever bought a ext warranty

·
Registered
385 Posts
Not sure how your dealer sees it, but many say that if you have an aftermarket pipe, the warranty is void. So if you have the ECU flashed, Fizzer CCT kit, etc, you might be wasting your money.

Then again, not sure how many dealers actually look at those types of detail...you may want to ask them before you buy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The motor isn't a concern to me yamaha has been building triples for years look at there snow machines 185hp triples , its all the electronic stuff but I will take my chances. After all its a Yamaha. RR:cool:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Not sure how your dealer sees it, but many say that if you have an aftermarket pipe, the warranty is void. So if you have the ECU flashed, Fizzer CCT kit, etc, you might be wasting your money.

Then again, not sure how many dealers actually look at those types of detail...you may want to ask them before you buy.
you are correct if you have a after market pipe and lets say the pipe hanger breaks....they wont cover it....whatever you replace it wont cover not void the entire warranty

·
Registered
189 Posts

Thats why if something breaks, you take all the upgrades off and put back originals, before taking it to dealer;)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thats why if something breaks, you take all the upgrades off and put back originals, before taking it to dealer;)
Thats why I have all the OEM parts and a back up ECU. Got the ECU from a friend that owns a dealership for almost nothing. Just in case something goes wrong I can take the bike back in nearly factory stock condition to where I bought it from. Swapping the exhaust and ECU would take less than 30 minutes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I normally wouldnt recommend it. I've been pretty lucky with vehicles. But I got the extended warranty. I thought the dealer was helping me out at $700 or so for the full five years. From what I'm hearing, it sounds like you can definitely get it cheaper somewhere else. I wish I would have done more research prior, or had the money to pay cash for it later.

I haven't had to use it, but I'm glad I got it. Kinda sucks that I paid too much for it. Lesson learned.

Im not going to go crazy with mods on the FZ. Exhaust, PCV or reflash, and visual mods. My dealer told me specifically not to reflash-it will definitely void the warranty. Anything else, they have to prove that a certain mod caused the failure. He said a power commander is fine.

All through the manual there are notes about "this cannot be used as proof of maintenance" and "any modifications to the sound suppression device (or whatever the hell thy call the exhaust), will void warranty".

Long story short, I'm sure there's enough legal jargon to cover them so they're not rebuilding bikes every month. I think if you're not a total *******, it will be covered.

I have heard that some warranty claims take a lot of work to get the dealer to cover it. I'm sure this largely depends on what dealer you go to.

·
Registered
350 Posts
This is obviously about your comfort with risk. Personally, I would not buy because I trust Yamaha quality ( that's why I bought it) and I do all my own maintenance. My experience I the past is that the first reaction of dealerships has been to duck warranty work. And I just don't have the time for that. But this is an individual choice.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I agree with you, it's about ones comfort level and what degree of risk they're willing to carry. I was talked into one of the extended warranties many, many years ago before I knew better, and never used it, and with the issues I've had with my dealer in regards to replacing the faulty CCT under warranty(they never did), I can imagine the same runaround getting any warranty work done, if needed, even with the extended warranty...

·
Registered
57 Posts
youre absolutely spot on....managing risk is the subject.....the cost, if we pay it, usually brings to the "house" enough added capital that they are willing to underwrite the policy so to speak....its an actuarial decision for the underwriter/house....if its just a few hundred bucks for me over several years, say @$300 for a 5yr term, I feel its purchase has got to be seriously considered and a "good looking over" of the terms and conditions is called for....its cheap enough...if the bike is fully paid for or financed doesn't matter much to me, self insuring any vehicle can be expensive at any time these days even if its just mechanical coverage....just my humble thoughts...hmmmm $300 for 60months or @$5per..Im in if this is a close scenario....eagerness:

·
Registered
205 Posts
In my case, haven't paid more than $400, including my 2013 FJR and now FZ09. I have found that the easy transfer of the YES warranty has helped me sell bikes. YMMV.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I've bought a lot of extended warranties and never had one be worth it. Never again. I've had 2 vehicles that I bought used and tried to use the extended warranties that I bought with them - it was a fruitless labor to get them to pay. New vehicles for me either have problems in the first year or not at all.

The CCT has been problematic for some people - but the bike was available in Europe for a year and nothing else has come up. I bought 2 RZ350's in their first model year and raced them both. During the week I took the numberplates off and rode them on the street. Even endurance racing them on Saturdays, sprint racing on Sundays, and playing on them during the week - they never had a problem. I bought a first year model GP1200 and had problems within hours.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Personally, I don't think the extended warranty is worth the $$ (I've purchased one in the past and never used it), but if it helps you sleep at night... who am I to say.

Just keep in mind that you are NOT required to buy the warranty from the dealership where you purchased the bike. Generally, you can get a much better deal buying one on eBay, which is where I purchased mine last time I bought one... the dealership wanted an outrageous amount and wouldn't budge... so off to eBay I went.

Just checked eBay and a 48mo Y.E.S. extended motorcycle warranty is going for around $400 bucks.
Can you post a link to the YES warranty on ebay please?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Y.E.S warranty on eBay. I had no idea. That ought to keep the dealers in check. My salesman buddy tried to ring my bell when he quoted me the warranty. I laughed and reminded him that I was a a GE Extended Warranty rep for thirteen years, thus the reason that I bought so many bikes from him over the years. The VSC business is very lucrative; I will leave it at that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts