Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the arrival of the FZ(MT)-07 speculations and rumors are surfacing of a Yamaha XTZ 700 adventure (ADV) bike based on the 689cc parallel twin motor. Motorrad has come up with a concept drawing and if it materializes it should be an awesome little Tenere.

Would anyone be interested in something like this?

·
Registered
184 Posts
The drawing looks cool. I don't think that the parallel twin would be good for an adventure bike. The FZ-07 engine would be tasked with additional weight. The 1200 Tenere is underpowered compared to the competition. IMO, the FZ-09 engine would be much better basis for an adventure bike. It would compete well against the Triumph 800 Tiger and BMW F800.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I like this- and I think the FZ07 engine will work great for an ADV. Compare it to the granddaddy of adv dual sports- the KLR. Even with its antique engine and heavier weight, hardcore, around-the-world adventurers swear by it. With its good torque, fuel economy and light weight, the 07 is ticking the right boxes already. That extra bit of plastic (& maybe larger tank) will probably bring it close to the FZ09's curb weight- or slightly more with extra additions like the wheels etc. I would totally be in for this. Not everyone needs heavy, bulky "adventure" bikes. Companies like M1nsk/Zongshen (?) and CCM have some great options for lightweight, DS-inspired ADV bikes. It would be awesome if a mainstream company like Yamaha got into the game too. It's another runaway hit waiting to happen.

I wouldn't mind a ADV version of the FZ09 but the more I ride the 09, the more i feel it will be great base for a sport-tourer on one side or even a supermoto on the other side- for me, it is bit of both already.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I like this- and I think the FZ07 engine will work great for an ADV. Compare it to the granddaddy of adv dual sports- the KLR. Even with its antique engine and heavier weight, hardcore, around-the-world adventurers swear by it. With its good torque, fuel economy and light weight, the 07 is ticking the right boxes already. That extra bit of plastic (& maybe larger tank) will probably bring it close to the FZ09's curb weight- or slightly more with extra additions like the wheels etc. I would totally be in for this. Not everyone needs heavy, bulky "adventure" bikes. Companies like M1nsk/Zongshen (?) and CCM have some great options for lightweight, DS-inspired ADV bikes. It would be awesome if a mainstream company like Yamaha got into the game too. It's another runaway hit waiting to happen.

I wouldn't mind a ADV version of the FZ09 but the more I ride the 09, the more i feel it will be great base for a sport-tourer on one side or even a supermoto on the other side- for me, it is bit of both already.
You're right about the KLR. I didn't think of that bike. I was thinking about the BMW and Triumph 800s as its competition. As good as the BMW is overall, the Triumph engine is better.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think the smaller displacement bikes would work better off-road than on-road. I don't think I'd like to ride hundred of miles a day on a 250 - 450cc bike. However, I'm sure I'd appreciate a smaller bike more while riding through rough trails in Central America. An FZ-09 based bike would be a great on-road vs off-road compromise.

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
The concept drawing of the 07 adventure bike is appealing, but...

I'm not a fan of "larger" dual-sport bikes. I'm just not confident with the weight. Not to mention, the damage repair bill from cracked plastics. And just try picking one up
at 12,000 feet, when it's headstock is lower than the wheels. I've done enough passes in Colorado to appreciate my 32 hp DR650. I realize if you are carrying a stove
and a crap load of camping gear, then you need a bit more umph and a stouter subframe. With that said, my younger riding buddies love their KTM 990 Adventurers,
but they do cuss them, when dropped in places like Hancock Pass, CO, or Massacre Mountain, ID. And picking one up at altitude when all alone is uncomfortable.
Those boys are out right now on the Continental Divide Trail from Southwestern Colorado up to Banff. THE CDT is less challenging than there usual summer getaways.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You're right about the KLR. I didn't think of that bike. I was thinking about the BMW and Triumph 800s as its competition. As good as the BMW is overall, the Triumph engine is better.
Going by reviews by mags and owners, it seems the Triumph engines are better only on-road as are the bikes. I think the triple engine makes it wider and fail in front of all the competition which have a twin heart- the GS or the KTM or the Tenere as well.

I think the smaller displacement bikes would work better off-road than on-road. I don't think I'd like to ride hundred of miles a day on a 250 - 450cc bike. However, I'm sure I'd appreciate a smaller bike more while riding through rough trails in Central America. An FZ-09 based bike would be a great on-road vs off-road compromise.
As I mentioned above, the triple could be too much on-road biased (like the Triumph) mainly due to the size of the engine and that's where the 07 engine will shine-and makes the bike feel lighter as well. Narrower bikes seem to work better off-road and the manufacturers recognize that. You should really try the "smaller" KLR or even the new tiny ADVs that I shared (when they show up i.e.)- most bikes, thumpers or twins, are quite okay to ride at 70-80 mph all day comfortably. And we are talking about the 07's smooth torquey engine- this could be Yamaha's magic card in the ADV segment. And going by reports of the FJ-09 name, I feel the 09's engine is rightly going into a ST. I like the versatile nature of the 09 as is right now- would only change the small gas tank as we can't make it sip gas like the 07.

The concept drawing of the 07 adventure bike is appealing, but...

I'm not a fan of "larger" dual-sport bikes. I'm just not confident with the weight. Not to mention, the damage repair bill from cracked plastics. And just try picking one up
at 12,000 feet, when it's headstock is lower than the wheels. I've done enough passes in Colorado to appreciate my 32 hp DR650. I realize if you are carrying a stove
and a crap load of camping gear, then you need a bit more umph and a stouter subframe. With that said, my younger riding buddies love their KTM 990 Adventurers,
but they do cuss them, when dropped in places like Hancock Pass, CO, or Massacre Mountain, ID. And picking one up at altitude when all alone is uncomfortable.
Those boys are out right now on the Continental Divide Trail from Southwestern Colorado up to Banff. THE CDT is less challenging than there usual summer getaways.
I agree with the smaller dual sports bikes. In fact, in the Himalayas (e.g. Ladakh- 18000+ feet), "vintage" Royal Enfields (not DS at all) with their measly 25odd horses or other Indian standards with their 12-20 horses regularly go to the top without breaking a sweat while bikes like the TDMs and even Multistradas struggle on the climb often, apart from being very sensitive and "fragile" and expensive to fix. In fact, watching Ewan and Charlie on their two trips, I kept thinking how easy and cheaper it would have been to fix had they taken the very basic KLRs- but well, BMW has milked the ADV market with their fantastic (even if overweight) offerings. My 12hp, 330lbs 150cc performed so brilliantly at 15000+ feet where sometimes there were no roads and plenty of rocky water crossings, that I wondered why would I need anything bigger! On another trip, water managed to fill up inside the gas tank and into the single carbed engine. A roadside mech just opened up the head and we let everything dry out and I was good to go in a couple of hours! It's just that simple! In the middle of nowhere, this becomes even more important. The 07 wont be that simple but I think it would be a great proposition and will create a new segment in ADV bikes. Waiting to see what Yamaha actually comes up with.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Going by reviews by mags and owners, it seems the Triumph engines are better only on-road as are the bikes. I think the triple engine makes it wider and fail in front of all the competition which have a twin heart- the GS or the KTM or the Tenere as well.
In the comparisons that I've seen, the main complaint about the Tenere was about the engine. In a vacuum, the engine would be fine; however, against the current competition, the engine is said to be buzzy and underpowered.

As I mentioned above, the triple could be too much on-road biased (like the Triumph) mainly due to the size of the engine and that's where the 07 engine will shine-and makes the bike feel lighter as well. Narrower bikes seem to work better off-road and the manufacturers recognize that. You should really try the "smaller" KLR or even the new tiny ADVs that I shared (when they show up i.e.)- most bikes, thumpers or twins, are quite okay to ride at 70-80 mph all day comfortably. And we are talking about the 07's smooth torquey engine- this could be Yamaha's magic card in the ADV segment. And going by reports of the FJ-09 name, I feel the 09's engine is rightly going into a ST. I like the versatile nature of the 09 as is right now- would only change the small gas tank as we can't make it sip gas like the 07.
Most adventure bikes are ridden on-road most of the time.

I agree with the smaller dual sports bikes. In fact, in the Himalayas (e.g. Ladakh- 18000+ feet), "vintage" Royal Enfields (not DS at all) with their measly 25odd horses or other Indian standards with their 12-20 horses regularly go to the top without breaking a sweat while bikes like the TDMs and even Multistradas struggle on the climb often, apart from being very sensitive and "fragile" and expensive to fix. In fact, watching Ewan and Charlie on their two trips, I kept thinking how easy and cheaper it would have been to fix had they taken the very basic KLRs- but well, BMW has milked the ADV market with their fantastic (even if overweight) offerings. My 12hp, 330lbs 150cc performed so brilliantly at 15000+ feet where sometimes there were no roads and plenty of rocky water crossings, that I wondered why would I need anything bigger! On another trip, water managed to fill up inside the gas tank and into the single carbed engine. A roadside mech just opened up the head and we let everything dry out and I was good to go in a couple of hours! It's just that simple! In the middle of nowhere, this becomes even more important. The 07 wont be that simple but I think it would be a great proposition and will create a new segment in ADV bikes. Waiting to see what Yamaha actually comes up with.
I agree about the smaller displacement bikes for off-road riding; however, most adventure bikes are ridden on-road most of the time.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
In the comparisons that I've seen, the main complaint about the Tenere was about the engine. In a vacuum, the engine would be fine; however, against the current competition, the engine is said to be buzzy and underpowered.

Most adventure bikes are ridden on-road most of the time.

I agree about the smaller displacement bikes for off-road riding; however, most adventure bikes are ridden on-road most of the time.
Yes, that's why I often feel the big ADV bikes are overkill- in the city or even highways, I wouldn't mind a KLR (it's nimble enough in the city and for the open roads, it has good wind protection and can cruise at highway speeds easy) and that's why it outsells everything in its class. The MT07's engine would be a peach to destroy that dominance (almost) by making all that utilitarian stuff more fun as well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes, that's why I often feel the big ADV bikes are overkill- in the city or even highways, I wouldn't mind a KLR (it's nimble enough in the city and for the open roads, it has good wind protection and can cruise at highway speeds easy) and that's why it outsells everything in its class. The MT07's engine would be a peach to destroy that dominance (almost) by making all that utilitarian stuff more fun as well.
Good argument.

I've ridden the Triumph 1200 Tiger Explorer, Ducati Multistrada, and KTM 1290 Adventure. They are all big bikes and don't work as well off-road as they do on-road. That said, I preferred the Triumph and that will most likely be my next bike. I know that I'll spend most of my time on pavement and a little on unimproved roads. Also, the Triumph et al. are great places (IMO) to spend long hours in the seat and to eat up hundreds of miles per day.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I had a 1990 XTZ750 (White with red railroad tracks) and for me I'd be interested in an XTZ700. Unfortunately I don't have time for that type of riding anymore - so a large enduro would suit me better. I've owned an XT500, XR600, KLR650, DR650 - and would buy a WR450R if Yamaha would make one. I've also owned an 800 Tiger, a Vstrom 1000, and did a 3 month rental on a GS1200. The big bikes are great for long haul bikes that can handle some bad roads to get where you're going - but if I'm going to ride across Patagonia or something then I want something lighter. I think an XTZ with a FZ-07 engine in it could meet or beat the 432 lbs of a KLR650 - and that would be a great bike. Since I'm a single parent though - just let me upgrade my CRF250L to a WR450R and I'll be happy...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sweet. I took a very, very, short demo on the FZ-07, but that was all it took to get me hooked. That engine is a gem, just like it's bigger brothers. I'll be first on the list again for this if it comes in no more than 20lbs heavier than the FZ-07, and the engine isn't re-tuned for more torque, as it doesn't need to be (third gear wheelies with just a whiff of clutch). And it needs to keep with the value pricing. I would much prefer the FZ-07's 17's, maybe Yamaha would see fit to offer wheel options (doubt it).

As the previous owner of 3 of the Kawi parallel twins (versysrider), the FZ-07 engine is head and shoulders above those, even when tuned. The FZ-07 felt super smooth (no vibes), in comparison as well. I'm sure I will own something with this engine in it, it's awesome. And if it came in at 420lbs wet it would still undercut the KLR's weight. At that weight any other ADV bike would be a tough sell, in my opinion. I sure hope Yamaha introduces both this, and the already trademarked FJ-09 soon, I ain't gettin' any younger. They need to start making full use of these incredible powerplants they've developed.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Good argument.

I've ridden the Triumph 1200 Tiger Explorer, Ducati Multistrada, and KTM 1290 Adventure. They are all big bikes and don't work as well off-road as they do on-road. That said, I preferred the Triumph and that will most likely be my next bike. I know that I'll spend most of my time on pavement and a little on unimproved roads. Also, the Triumph et al. are great places (IMO) to spend long hours in the seat and to eat up hundreds of miles per day.
If this XTZ700 comes, I would probably get it and I believe it would be another phenomenon, for the reasons mentioned above.
The Triumphs are great bikes and I actually did consider the Tiger (wanted the Tiger Sport available in Europe) before I could get hold of a FZ. Not sure about the 800s but I have heard that the larger Explorers have lots of serious problems of reliability which this recent article highlights further. At that price point, a bike should be near perfect IMO!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I had a 1990 XTZ750 (White with red railroad tracks) and for me I'd be interested in an XTZ700. Unfortunately I don't have time for that type of riding anymore - so a large enduro would suit me better. I've owned an XT500, XR600, KLR650, DR650 - and would buy a WR450R if Yamaha would make one. I've also owned an 800 Tiger, a Vstrom 1000, and did a 3 month rental on a GS1200. The big bikes are great for long haul bikes that can handle some bad roads to get where you're going - but if I'm going to ride across Patagonia or something then I want something lighter. I think an XTZ with a FZ-07 engine in it could meet or beat the 432 lbs of a KLR650 - and that would be a great bike. Since I'm a single parent though - just let me upgrade my CRF250L to a WR450R and I'll be happy...
Sweet. I took a very, very, short demo on the FZ-07, but that was all it took to get me hooked. That engine is a gem, just like it's bigger brothers. I'll be first on the list again for this if it comes in no more than 20lbs heavier than the FZ-07, and the engine isn't re-tuned for more torque, as it doesn't need to be (third gear wheelies with just a whiff of clutch). And it needs to keep with the value pricing. I would much prefer the FZ-07's 17's, maybe Yamaha would see fit to offer wheel options (doubt it).

As the previous owner of 3 of the Kawi parallel twins (versysrider), the FZ-07 engine is head and shoulders above those, even when tuned. The FZ-07 felt super smooth (no vibes), in comparison as well. I'm sure I will own something with this engine in it, it's awesome. And if it came in at 420lbs wet it would still undercut the KLR's weight. At that weight any other ADV bike would be a tough sell, in my opinion. I sure hope Yamaha introduces both this, and the already trademarked FJ-09 soon, I ain't gettin' any younger. They need to start making full use of these incredible powerplants they've developed.
All reasons why I am stoked to see this concept- lets see if the patent office leaks the registration of this name soon...

·
Registered
663 Posts
I see potential. The Super Tenere is an awesome bike, but it comes with a steep price of admission. A mid weight offering would open the door to adventure bikes to more riders who want to add a bike to the stable. (If Yamaha can keep the price point low like the 09 and 07)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would seriously consider one. Fit right in the middle of my TW and GS. The 9 triple would be better!

Reactions: FZ09Jeff

·
Registered
962 Posts
I see potential. The Super Tenere is an awesome bike, but it comes with a steep price of admission. A mid weight offering would open the door to adventure bikes to more riders who want to add a bike to the stable. (If Yamaha can keep the price point low like the 09 and 07)
They still sell the 660 single Tenere in other countries - so I wonder what they would call the 700 twin? I'm really surprised they don't sell the 660 engine in anything stateside. I think an XTZ700, and XTZ660, and even an XTZ450 (use the WR450 engine) would all outsell the XTZ1200 because that thing's just a beast... I used to ride through Mexico and I wouldn't do that on an XTZ1200 - it's just too much motorcycle (weight and cost).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts